Mario Party 10

Really, all of the games are good except for the other two portable installments.

I got 9 for my birthday last year and it really sucks. I have 4, 7, 8, 9, Advance and DS and the only ones I enjoy are 4, 7, 8 pand DS. The best is 7 in my opinion.

Lumastar said:
Really, all of the games are good except for the other two portable installments.

I actually enjoyed Advance the characters were all very entertaining.

Mcmadness said:
Lumastar said:

I actually enjoyed Advance the characters were all very entertaining.
I didn't say Advance was bad. I actually think that it is decent, but it could have been better. I actually think that a multiplayer Shroom City-style mode might have been fun.

I'm not sure how they could have made shroom city multiplayer appropriate.

Cirdec said:

9 has bad board gameplay, though. Everything about it is ok. I wouldn't have an issue with the car if it wasn't 90% of the game.

Lumastar said:

DS isn't bad, it's a portable Mario Party done right.

My favorite will always be 6. The mini-games are the best, the boards were unique, and I may be a bit biased as this was my first Mario Party so it is a big nostalgia bomb. I've played all but Advance and Island Tour, but I think it's safe to say that 6 is superior to those by a landslide.

hmm im not sure if i wanna try most mario parties and ive only played a lot of 1-4 and ds

i barely played advance but i wasnt sure if i wanted to play it

The Meta Knight Before Christmas said:
My favorite will always be 6. The mini-games are the best, the boards were unique, and I may be a bit biased as this was my first Mario Party so it is a big nostalgia bomb. I've played all but Advance and Island Tour, but I think it's safe to say that 6 is superior to those by a landslide.

Nope, Mario Party 6 was my 6th Mario Party (with Mario Party 4 having some of my first childhood memories as I was quite young when I first started playing the 1-3, not to mention they were rented) and it still remains my favorite to this day.

Umi Sonoda said:
hmm im not sure if i wanna try most mario parties and ive only played a lot of 1-4 and ds

i barely played advance but i wasnt sure if i wanted to play it

4-7 are about as good as 1-3. People don't give them enough credit.

well to be honest i thought 3 was the weakest of the games

although ill always miss the costumes from mario party 2

:(

What's wrong with 3? I heard a lot of people praise it heaps upon heaps.

i really hate the maps and a lot of the mini games are pretty annoying and some are just too unbearable

i dont hate the game but it just feels so boring compared to 2 and 4

(although to be honest 4's maps are pretty bad though)

Umi Sonoda said:
i really hate the maps and a lot of the mini games are pretty annoying and some are just too unbearable

i dont hate the game but it just feels so boring compared to 2 and 4

(although to be honest 4's maps are pretty bad though)
Mario Party 3's maps weren't too bad, imo. I do agree some of the minigames are annoying, if not all, although that may have to do more with the emulator.

I don't have fond memories of the minigames in Mario Party 1-3. Like Messed Up Memory, Hot Rope Jump, Shy Guy Says, The Beat Goes On. I was a child back then, though, but even today, I hate those memory games a lot. Good thing they toned it down in the later games. :P

hmm i can understand 1 and 3 at least, and some of the memory games but i loved 2 and 4 so much

probably the main reason im not sure i wanna go to mario party 9+ is because it doesnt seem very enjoyable and the whole changing on how the gameplay was done seems like a big turn off for me

although someday ill manage to get mario party 5-7 though, just havent had the money or the time to do so.

I personally have at least some degree of fondness for the first six Mario Parties

MP1 = Beyond the Control Stick that can hurt your palms. It's still a pretty nostalgic ride that started it all, but yeah it's probably the weakest of the N64 Mario Party Trilogy.

MP2 = My Favorite of the Entire Series, don't need to say anything more really. Mario Party really needs to bring Alt. Costumes depending on the board back. At least as an option if you prefer the characters how they look normally.

MP3 = The Boards and Items were Amazing, though the Minigames were rather lacking in some areas.

MP4 = While I found MP4 rather dull in some spots, it was still pretty decent and some of the minigames were really fun.

MP5 = I'm of the unpopular opinion that MP5 was the best of the Gamecube Mario Parties. I just loved the dream concept of the game, and it was also cool to see the Star Spirits from Paper Mario have a role in the game.

MP6 = The Day and Night systems was interesting, and while it is a gimmick. Some fun have been had with the mic. (Ex: One time when I was playing the game with my brother. When we were at the part where you can say the character's name if you respond. I said "Bitch" and Peach said "YEAH!", we laughed out loud so hard.)

7, 8, and 9 I don't enjoy at any level near the other games. Though if I had to pick one of those that I had some degree of fun with, it'd actually be MP8. 7 and 9 are my least favorite Mario Parties. Nine edging 7 for being worse because the whole Car thing really ruins it :S

My turn.

MP1 - I like most of the boards, the minigames are fun (I like the control stick spinning ones, I just wish they didn't destroy your hand) and the idea of each character having their own board always stood out to me. It'd be interesting to see nowadays but there's a lot of characters now.

MP2 - I played this one the least but that's because I've only rented it, I did play online multiplayer using an emulator though. I enjoy the Minigames here equally as much as MP1 but the new ones were hit or miss. Costumes are cute but I didn't care about them. Boards were alright.

MP3 - I love this one, I could play at least half of the minigames on rotation for hours without getting bored because I enjoy it so much. I love the whole storybook theme it had going on, the boards also following this theme was neat. Surprisingly I only really like half the boards but the other ones are alright. I agree that the items were amazing, I think they were best in this game.

MP4 - My least favourite, I hated all the boards, I hated a majority of the Minigames and worst of all; it's so fucking slow. The whole game is slow, whether it's traveling around the board or just the character animations in general, it all irks me. My favourite and least favourite are side by side lol. It could be just that this didn't click with me but its sluggishness certainly didn't help.

MP5 - I think out of all the games, I enjoyed the boards in this one the most. Sort of had that N64 trilogy feel of the boards along with the new style look of the boards that we have now. Minigames were nice but kind of unmemorable, I probably couldn't name any.

MP6 - I liked the day night system and I enjoyed the boards. Minigames were fun. Not much to say, I just plainly enjoy this game. It's not my favourite but I dont have any problems with it.

MP7 - I think the idea of having boards based on different real life places was cool, some of the boards were better than others. Minigames were decent but unmemorable, I didn't play this one much though to be honest. I'd kind of burnt myself out on mario party when I played it because I just bought and played MP4, MP5 and MP6 recently before it.

MP8 - I like the boards, they're all interesting even though the giant square spaces irked me when I first saw them. I honesty thought the Minigames weren't that bad, but they could have been better. Unlocking the characters is a pain in the ass.

MPDS - If I were to play a mario party for its Minigames it would be this or MP3, I just really enjoyed these ones. Only five boards but I think they were all good ones. Hex's were strange and felt out of place but I liked the, regardless.

MP9 - Car was a bad idea, I vastly prefer the previous style of games. Besides that, I like the Minigames and even though I prefer the old style, the new style was enjoyable. It felt like playing MP6's story mode with the one way path. Relies far too much on luck though. Luck makes a big part of the previous games but not as much as it did here.

MPIT - never played it

3 > 5 > 6 > DS > 1 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 4
n/a (haven't played enough IMO): 2, IT

I don't hate any of them besides 4

Anyway, I hope 10 expands and improves upon 9's formula. I think they could possibly turn it into something really fun now that they've had their test drive with 9. The Bowser Party thing kind of makes me believe they'll focus too much on it, it'll end up being terrible or boring and the time that could have been spent improving the board sections or making amazing Minigames goes to waste. I want to hope that won't be the case and that I'm just being pessimistic about it because Bowser Party looked lackluster to me.

I don't know about you Crackin', but those minigames they showed off in Bowser Party in this game look fun as hell

Well I said they looked lackluster so now you do know now.

They could end up being the best part about the game, I don't know, they just look mediocre to me from the trailer they gave.

Since all the cool kids are doing it...

Mario Party - Fantastic boards, fantastic games... I spent so many childhood hours playing this game. It's a true classic... the only downside are the abundant mini-games that require you to blister the palm of your hand. The single-player mode was actually quite fun, but it's disappointing clearing it and not really unlocking anything special. Bumper Balls, Hot Rope Jump, and Running of the Bulb are flat-out iconic Mario Party games. I'm sad they haven't made a come-back. Each of the boards has a very distinct feel to it.

Mario Party 2 - I never played this as a kid, but I got it quite a few years ago. It's pretty great... it takes most of what made Mario Party 1 great and adds to it. The costumes for each map are the best feature by far... very cute. The "endings" that the winner gets is also a great addition (though I think they were in the first one to a lesser degree). Plus, they brought back Hot Rope Jump and Bumper Balls! The only reason I would rate this lower than the original is that I don't have that nostalgic feel for it, but objectively it's a better game.

Mario Party 3 - The maps were pretty fun, and it was nice adding new characters (even if I'm not particularly fond of Daisy or Waluigi). I liked that the stars from Paper Mario were the guides of the game. Duel mini-games were fun, especially Fowl Play which is one of my favorite mini-games of all time.

Mario Party 4 - Definitely the weakest of the console games for me. I honestly don't remember most of the Gamecube games too well as it's been a very long time, but MP4 is the worst. From what I do remember, it doesn't bring much new to the table. The maps were all right, but no new characters yet.

Mario Party 5 - I have a couple of friends who swear by this game, and always make us play it. It's pretty good... it was finally the first chance to play as Toad, which I greatly appreciated. The capsules were a bit annoying... but I really enjoyed the maps. Plus, Hotel Goomba is extremely fun.

Mario Party 6 - I actually looove the microphone mini-games, as cheap as they were. This one blends in with 5 and 7 for me, but I did enjoy it greatly.

Mario Party Advance - As a separate Mario game, it's pretty cute. BUT as a Mario Party game, it falls flat. And I found this game overly difficult, too, for some reason.

Mario Party 7 - I remember playing this one for the first time... I fell in love immediately. I love that Birdo was playable, AND I did manage to play an 8 player Mario Party a few times and it was an absolute blast. Very intense. I'm sad that it never really returned to the series.

Mario Party 8 - I'm not sure it utilized the Wiimote as well as it could have, but it was fun enough that I forgave it. I actually preferred the mini-games that you used the controller on the side. Definitely better than the next Wii one.

Mario Party DS - I actually LOVE the DS version of this game. The fact that they let you play with your friends if only one person has the cartridge is amazing to me. Plus, I dig the N64-esque graphics this game has. The mini-games are all extremely fun... ugh I want to play this game now.

Mario Party 9 - I was so excited for this game, but sadly... it falls flat. I *hate* the fact that you travel around in a car together. Plus, they ditch coins for the mini-stars and ditch stars completely. The maps themselves are okay, but they lack the life that the older MPs had. The one great thing from this one is the boss fights, but I think they were introduced in DS so it wasn't like it was anything new anyway.

Mario Party: Island Tour - One of the most disappointing purchases I've ever made... This game is abysmal. I appreciate that they were trying to do something different with the maps, but no. The mini-games were uninspiring, and the story mode was AWFUL, especially after getting such an adorable story mode in Mario Party DS. Blah... I've also only played this with friends once, so maybe if I play it again with friends it'll be different.

In short, 7 > 1 > 2 > DS > 6 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 9 > 4 > MP:IT > MPA

^

The Paper Mario star guides were in Mario Party 5, not Mario Party 3.

Also you left out 6 in your tl;dr

Good list. DS really was a super fun game.

Yeah, Tumble :)tumble:) was the co-host and the Millenium Star was the host.

Well, Tumble was the real millennium star hiding in Tumble's head while the Millenium Star was a fraud but I don't think the plot was important in the Mario Party games.

It isn't really. Its treated more like a joke than anything else. The fact that MP3 has probably the most comically pathetic version of Bowser in pretty much any Mario game helps attest to that.

Back