Philips' Lawsuit against Nintendo

Here's the factual stuff

So yeah, apparently Philips is trying to sue Nintendo for infringing two patents it has, mostly dealing with Wii Motion Plus technology and the Wii U gamepad. I guess they are also trying to ban the sales of the Wii U, which would mean if they got their way, no more Wii U's.

However, what will most likely occur if Nintendo loses this case is have to just pay for the damages and maybe have to increase the sales of the Wii U.

Can they give it up?

They've made an attrocity called CD-I so they need to lose this one.

give it up philips.

These big-wig companies arew all about themselves. So they sue everyone to get their money.

Phillips just want everyone to think that the Zelda CDI games are the definitive Zelda games.

lol philips nobody cares about you
i don't expect them to win against nintendo

I just swear, if we no get Smash Bros. because of them...

I'm pretty sure that everyone will kill them if they discontinue the Wii U just because of a very vague Patent that they had and using it to try to gain profits.

I doubt it'll happen but if Smash 4 Wii U gets cancelled because of this it'll be the most fuckin hilarious and terrible thing to happen this year

Hatsune Loki the 45th Sith Dragon Rider of Bag End said:
I doubt it'll happen but if Smash 4 Wii U gets cancelled because of it'll be the most fuckin hilarious and terrible thing to happen this year

I'm pretty sure that Philips will only lose to this, because they screw with those people that want Zelda Wii U and Smash Wii U, I'm pretty sure there will be a riot and boycott of their business.

You know, mob mentality is a very fickle thing. I mean sure, a number of people would probably fume and rage individually, but will they be able to organize the entirety of their fellow angry gamers into a tightly-woven, effective boycott?

I don't think a bunch of angry hardcore nerds will be able to do that.

So, the first patent describes a way to track the human body and translate that to actions in a virtual environment, then display the virtual environment to the user. (4-Dec-'96)

The second patent describes a handheld device with a camera, connected to a processor elsewhere, which recognizes the object being looked at, and then does something based on the movements of aforementioned handheld device. (11-Jun-'09)

Well....

The first one is pretty much used by every handheld device these days, including, but not limited to, Smartphones (~2004) Kinect (2010), Nintendo 3DS (2011). Besides, "a way to track the human body" is a bit wide. Use camera's? Infrared? Drones? Plutonium bars?

The second one isn't even applicable to the Wii U GamePad, as it calculates it's movements with build-in motion sensors (which are pretty damn accurate).
While somewhat applicable at the way the Wii Remote works, the Wii Remote was released at 19 November 2006, the patent was issued in 2009.

So err.. curious case.

the Wii Remote was released at 19 November 2006, the patent was issued in 2009.

The U.S switched to a "first to patent" (vs first to invent) system recently.

I can't imagine Philips winning this one for some reason.

Glowsquid said:
the Wii Remote was released at 19 November 2006, the patent was issued in 2009.

The U.S switched to a "first to patent" (vs first to invent) system recently.
For example, if someone invented a flying bicycle, and some guy patented it a year later, the second guy would win? That's how I interpreted this.

Pink Gold Tubba Blubba said:
You know, mob mentality is a very fickle thing. I mean sure, a number of people would probably fume and rage individually, but will they be able to organize the entirety of their fellow angry gamers into a tightly-woven, effective boycott?

I don't think a bunch of angry hardcore nerds will be able to do that.

Damn, I've tried responding to this without not getting my point across, but I think that I just can't think of the right way to put it right now. Just look up the story about the McDonald's lawsuit where an old lady spilled coffee on her while parked in her car and how the story has changed after she won that lawsuit. I could see Nintendo being the one that even though they lost the lawsuit, it'll affect Philips due to a derailment of the original case.

I get the feeling this might end the same way the whole Mario Kills Tanooki thing did.

I mean going by what Lakituilveloce stated, none of the devices mentioned actually track the body and the second patient was issued after the Wii's release, so I'm pretty confident Nintendo will win this, or at the absolute worst Nintendo will merely have to pay for damages but the Wii U will continue sales.

Ulrich said:
They aren't targeting the Wii Remotes per se as more of the Wii Motion Plus, which came out in 2010, which was after the patent.

9 < 10

in philips oponion

us > them

in nintendos opinion

philips is being dumb > we are breaking a patent

Ulrich said:
Damn, I've tried responding to this without not getting my point across, but I think that I just can't think of the right way to put it right now. Just look up the story about the McDonald's lawsuit where an old lady spilled coffee on her while parked in her car and how the story has changed after she won that lawsuit. I could see Nintendo being the one that even though they lost the lawsuit, it'll affect Philips due to a derailment of the original case.

Ah, the good old mcdonalds coffee lawsuit.

Somehow that reminds me of that time Nintendo was sued because Mario Party 1 gave people blisters. I've never gotten any myselves, but I was there when an acquaintance got himself one. Good times.

Looking again, the Wii Remote, nor the Wii (U) itself, really recognizes the object it's looking at, it is only capable of detecting the four strongest infrared light-sources in range. It has no clue whether it's the actual Sensorbar, the sun or a candle or something.

So with that, the second patent is busted, whatever year the Wii Remote and the patent were born.

The first one, still, isn't specific enough to my liking. Motion-to-virtual-environment is already present since the early nineties, in multiple forms.

Back