Philips' Lawsuit against Nintendo

Pink Gold Tubba Blubba said:
Ulrich said:
dang, I've tried responding to this without not getting my point across, but I think that I just can't think of the right way to put it right now. Just look up the story about the McDonald's lawsuit where an old lady spilled coffee on her while parked in her car and how the story has changed after she won that lawsuit. I could see Nintendo being the one that even though they lost the lawsuit, it'll affect Philips due to a derailment of the original case.
Ah, the good old mcdonalds coffee lawsuit.
It's sad that a lot of lawsuits come from improper use of products.

It's sad that cases like "I didn't know the hot coffee was actually hot" are even acknowledged by a court. Filled with human beings. With Brains. Supposedly.

I mean this isn't Tales of Symphonia for gods sake. Of course hot coffee is hot.

It's sad that cases like "I didn't know the hot coffee was actually hot" are even acknowledged by a court. Filled with human beings. With Brains. Supposedly.

I mean this isn't Tales of Symphonia for gods sake. Of course hot coffee is hot.
Are there ever been cases of killers saying that they didn't know "A gun or a rock would kill them?"

Except it was more like "The cofee shouldn't be hot to the point of causing third degree burns". The case was heavily senzationalized and is actually a pretty terrible example of frivolous lawsuits.

Hmmm, that IS actually pretty horrific.

My bad. I withdraw my snark.

I'll be surprised if this lawsuit isn't immediately thrown out because of how absurdly vague it is (it sounds like their "patent" can describe television remotes). Then again, it's the U.S. and the patent laws here are complete garbage.

Glowsquid said:

Except it was more like "The cofee shouldn't be hot to the point of causing third degree burns". The case was heavily senzationalized and is actually a pretty terrible example of frivolous lawsuits.

Yeah, that was the story I was talking about. I know a lot of people see it as the old woman just getting away with basically getting money for spilling coffee on her, even though the real story is basically what Glowsquid said.

TheYoshiState said:
Ulrich said:
...the Wii Motion Plus, which came out in 2010...

Actually, it was originally bundled with Wii Sports Resort (a little-known Wii Sports sequel) when that game was released in 2009.

I know that.

I just forgot that Wii Sports Resort came out in 2009, not 2010.

Ulrich said:
Glowsquid said:

Yeah, that was the story I was talking about. I know a lot of people see it as the old woman just getting away with basically getting money for spilling coffee on her, even though the real story is basically what Glowsquid said.

The media likes to distort these sorts of things in order to make them more... "appealing" for the general public. Sometimes to boost the ratings, sometimes to color events in a way that makes them agreeable with their own image of the world.

We have a particular newspaper here in Germany that loves doing that, especially to put poor families in their place. And a lot of people know they're "enhancing" the truth a lot, yet people still buy it and believe that drivel. It's sickening.

Knowing that, I'm actually pretty embarrassed that I just now bought into the same sensationalist bullshit without cross-checking it first. I heard it from someone whose judgment I believed sound and I guess I just parroted it. It goes to show you shouldn't rely on others to do the fact-checking for you. <_>

Don't worry; this is usually called the "information era" since we have all these sources of information for us at hand, yet so much misinformation is spread around.

My point with that court case is that if Nintendo loses, we could easily see how the media could be twisted around to make one side look one way, or another. Plus, I could see Fans trying to make it out like Philips were butthurt over CD-i and then Philips could be hurting if it spreads, just like the old woman in the McDonalds case.

Ulrich said:
Glowsquid said:

The media likes to distort these sorts of things in order to make them more... "appealing" for the general public. Sometimes to boost the ratings, sometimes to color events in a way that makes them agreeable with their own image of the world.

We have a particular newspaper here in Germany that loves doing that, especially to put poor families in their place. And a lot of people know they're "enhancing" the truth a lot, yet people still buy it and believe that drivel. It's sickening.

Knowing that, I'm actually pretty embarrassed that I just now bought into the same sensationalist bull*bleep* without cross-checking it first. I heard it from someone whose judgment I believed sound and I guess I just parroted it. It goes to show you shouldn't rely on others to do the fact-checking for you. <_>
And those that care enough to do the real fact-checking (like Glowsquid), god bless them.

I wasn't sarcastic or snarky, I just feel thankful that people inform us of misconceptions rather than let sensationalism slide over our heads. Provided, I never heard about the coffee story, but it's nice that I got the actual facts first.

Sigh... Philips, you just have to get your bloated big head into everything, don't you?

Oh, and if the Wii U is discontinued, there's always imports. 8) Correct me if I'm wrong about American import laws, but in Australia, if a game is banned my local EB just have the European version behind the counter.

Pink Gold Giga12 said:
Sigh... Philips, you just have to get your bloated big head into everything, don't you?

Oh, and if the Wii U is discontinued, there's always imports. 8) Correct me if I'm wrong about American import laws, but in Australia, if a game is banned my local EB just have the European version behind the counter.
Well even if you imported the European games or systems to the US, they wouldn't work cause of the different power systems. (US is 60 hertz and Euroland is 50 hertz).

Also region-lock.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Well even if you imported the European games or systems to the US, they wouldn't work cause of the different power systems. (US is 60 hertz and Euroland is 50 hertz).
Partly true, the console itself uses a direct current, it's just the adapter that is different.

Aiko Heiwa said:
Also region-lock.
Though if Wii U isn't sold in the US, they probably just stop selling the games too, instead the other region's games are also imported, which makes the games work again.

I think Phillips also wants to ban imports too so...

*looks at papers*

Prayer for Relief

WHEREFORE, Philips respectfully requests that judgment be entered:

E. preliminarily and permanently enjoining the Defendants, their officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and those persons in active concert or participation with them, from making, using, selling, offering for sale, and importing within the United States interactive virtual modeling products and HCI products;

Hmm..

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-loses-uk-motion-control-patent-ruling-to-electronics-giant-philips/1100-6420634/

:eekdance:

"electronics giant phillips"
the fuck is phillips right now
i havent seen anything new from them other than a fucken vcr from 20 years ago

Back