Mario Kart reflections

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games

It may be unpopular cause, I don't know, bad graphics, but without it, we would not have today's MK probably, so we can thank it for that.

I never played the game in question, but looking around on YouTube and other stuff I find it disappointing that most of the tracks were just rehashes of the other ones in the game. And I still want to see Vanilla Lake as a retro course.

Hard game because terrible controls. Though the music is good.

Never played it, and the US doesn't have a VC version, so I probably never will without an emulator.

From what I played of the extra cups in Super Circuit, the tracks seem nice.

inb4 I leave the most positive post about MK64 while everyone else is like "meh" or even bashes it

Anyway, I admit my only experience with the very first Mario Kart was on an emulator. And it was pretty short.

One thing I have to say though, even if this was the first Mario Kart. I feel like MK64 after it was the true beginning that gave Mario Kart the edge over most spin-offs of any game series that we still feel today.

PeteyPiranhaPerson said:
Never played it, and the US doesn't have a VC version, so I probably never will without an emulator.
Not for the Wii U, maybe, but it has been on the Wii's Virtual Console since late 2009.

My sister said Super Mario Kart is an awful game, to the point where it's broken. It controls like Super Circuit except its 100x more cheap with the bad CPUs.

A positive thing I will say about it is that the commercial was great. You should look it up.

Baby Luigi said:
My sister said Super Mario Kart is an awful game, to the point where it's broken. It controls like Super Circuit except its 100x more cheap with the bad CPUs.
The controls are alright. I've played it on my brother's SNES, and on the Wii U. The CPUs are condsidered bad by most, but I think it makes the game harder and tests skill (if you know an item is coming anyone can prepare, but when it's random it takes skill). What is bad about it is that if you get hit that's basically game-over.

(These are my opinions, therefore they should not be questioned, but believed by all.)

Potted Piranha Plant said:
but when it's random it takes skill

Uhhh, no it doesn't :|

My opinion of skill is that you know your items so you can use/dodge them effectively. Smart item strategy is the main reason I win at Mario Kart, with a little luck. Getting hit by random crap randomly is not an indicator of skill. Reflexes should be to how you react to item incomings and general driving around the course and obstacles.

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 is a fun game, and that announcer guy is funny. I'd like to actually play the thing, but the machines, I heard, are money hogs, so I just put the thing in an emulator.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 is a fun game, and that announcer guy is funny. I'd like to actually play the thing, but the machines, I heard, are money hogs, so I just put the thing in an emulator.

Please discuss Super Mario Kart as stated in the OP

Super Mario Kart sucks without Wario and character voices. It seems so lifeless to me.

Oops I forget about the arcade titles. :-[

Well I guess you can talk about them after Mario Kart 8 is released.

Not a lot of people have played the arcade titles, so it's probably fine.

I might of played either it or Mario Kart: Super Circuit (I distinctly remember it being black-and-white, or maybe it was my memory...). It was fun. I played only 1 round (Rainbow Road) and I fell off a lot.

Astronomical said:
I might of played either it or Mario Kart: Super Circuit (I distinctly remember it being black-and-white, or maybe it was my memory...). It was fun. I played only 1 round (Rainbow Road) and I fell off a lot.

All Mario Karts are in full color

Baby Luigi said:
Astronomical said:

All Mario Karts are in full color
Must of been my memory, then.

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (64)

64 is easily second worst. I hated Yoshi's Valley and Banshee Boardwalk, but I admit, the soundtrack was the best thing going for it. That, and Wario's voice.

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (64)

I never really liked 64 that much (I going to guess that's because I played Double Dash first), but it did add a lot to the series.

Back