Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's inside story

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

NSY

Celestial Guide
Mario is not just a big name in platforms but also in role playing games as well. What is your favorite of the many RPGs that have stared everyone's least favorite plumber?

As of now, Bowser's Inside Story still stands as my favorite as it's the game that feel it has the most charm in it.

Superstar Saga hands down. That game was my childhood.

Thousand Year Door is going to win the poll. I know it.

I voted for Partners in Time.

I just had to vote for Bowser's Inside Story.

There's just something about that game that I just completely love about it. Dream Team was definitely an awesome game in it's own right and I loved every minute of it, but I felt like Bowser's Inside Story really brought the series together, bring old and new stuff together. Now that the cloud of DT being new is off of me, I can say that BiS is better, but by a little.

Paper mario by far, sure there are some that out do it, but for me it was the best.

Mainly because it got me into rpgs to begin with, plus it had nice battle customization.

Not only was it in level ups but later on the badge system really shined. IT allowed you to have a very nice play style of your mario and his companions, offering all kinds of way to battle from getting low on hp to do massive damage, to be a destructive tank, from relying on other defensive tactics such as the volt badge, or to surpass spiked foes with a certain badge to hitting almost anything with a hammer via hammer throw or quake hammer.

So many options for the gameplay. Then theres the fact of action commands, while not having the greatest variety ever, it was still enough to be called unique compared to so many other turn based rpgs. From hitting the button at the required time, to using the joystick to attack, or maybe even holding a button for a certain amount of time to do more damage.

There was a lot in store for many gameplay options, even badge attacks had their own action commands.

I also liked the game because it showed some side views of characters that normally you wouldnt see in the other games.

Such as luigi's diary or the chapter end with peach trying to help out mario, even bowser had his own personallity that made him far more likeable then he ever was.

There were even several new characters such as goombario, general guy, koopa bros, and even watt. Still many more to add to that list but yeah.

The only flaw that i see in the game even to this day is the sidequests, as most of them were fetch quests and i dont really like fetch quests.

Overall though paper mario is fantastic to me, ive played 30 different playthroughs and even 100% the game on several occasions.

A top of the rate rpg and even to this day it remains as one of my favorite rpg games ever made.

Damn i love it.

Zae Eildus said:

I really do love Paper Mario, but the controls back then were a bit annoying and I didn't like how when you were doing sidequests you never really got to know what you've done or who you've tattled in battle, except for a tally chart in your house.

Honestly, I would love for a remake of it so that they can improve upon that stuff, because it definitely is an awesome game.

I voted for Super Paper Mario. Even though the first RPG game I've played was Super Mario RPG, the former game is what truly what got me into the RPGs in the first place. Plus, it features Dimentio, who happens to be my favorite villain in the series.

Ulrich said:
Zae Eildus said:

I really do love Paper Mario, but the controls back then were a bit annoying and I didn't like how when you were doing sidequests you never really got to know what you've done or who you've tattled in battle, except for a tally chart in your house.

Honestly, I would love for a remake of it so that they can improve upon that stuff, because it definitely is an awesome game.

yeah the sidequests were pretty lame, i dont mind the controls though, felt okay to me at least.

But yeah id love for there to be a remake of it, its something i would certainly get day 1.

oh god not this again

To sum up the opinions I've seen of it, Sticker Star is hated because it was a shell of its former self, the battle system is bad, the sticker system is highly flawed, Miyamoto dumbed it down, and it's not like the first two games of the Paper Mario series.

it would have been just mediocre if it wasn't a Paper Mario sequel, but it IS a Paper Mario sequel AND the pre-release screenshots show it was gonna be like the first two Paper Mario games. People have an honest right to be utterly disappointed with the game and also have the right to compare it with the first two because of the expectations set by pre-release screenshots.

Misty said:
Why do you hate Sticker Star
If you didn't constantly compare it to TTYD it would be amazing

thats the thing though, the paper mario games are literally in the same universe or whatever, so people compare it to former versions.

It's like how people compare super mario 64 and super mario sunshine, while they have different mechanics its only logical to compare it to the previous version.

anyway i never played ss and i dont think i will to be honest with you, doesnt really look like a game id enjoy.

Although i refuse to say its good or bad, because of that.

Misty said:
Why do you hate Sticker Star
If you didn't constantly compare it to TTYD it would be amazing
I can't speak for anyone else, I don't hate it just because of it being different from Thousand-Year Door. Super Paper Mario was different from it, too, and I consider that game (for the most part) to be a masterpiece. I'll just sum it up with this post I made about seven months ago:

Berkana said:
Sticker Star gets the kind of hate that it does, because of the way it took almost everything people loved about the first three games, and just threw them out the window; all for hypocritical reasons on Miyamoto's part (as explained in the Iwata Asks). To add insult to injury, that was done after it had originally presented itself as a welcome-back return to the series' original formula. In short, the game was a blatant middle finger, and deserved any and all backlash that it got and still continues to get.

Wait a minute... How is it that Sticker Star managed to get a vote, while both Super Mario RPG and Dream Team did not?

Berkana said:
Wait a minute... How is it that Sticker Star managed to get a vote, while both Super Mario RPG and Dream Team did not?

People who like those games more than Sticker Star probably liked another game more than both of them, and someone just enjoyed Sticker Star the most.

Dream Team is definitely superior to Bowser's Inside Story in most aspects, since it basically polished the gameplay, made the special attacks more fun and their minigames less painful, had better music (although Bowser's Inside Story had pretty good music anyway), felt more challenging, was generally funnier and was less tedious to play through again because its giant battles weren't as consistently painful as say... the Fawful Express.

Granted, Bowser's Inside Story had much more atmosphere than it at times and Bowser as a playable character (to be honest this actually doesn't wow me as it would other people for the most part), but honestly that doesn't even begin to outweigh what I felt Dream Team did better. I would talk about the other two games, but I'm too lazy to and I'll just say I like Partners in Time more than Bowser's Inside Story, and may or may not like Superstar Saga more than it too, I'm still debating over that.

Super Mario Role Playing Game: The Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is one of those games I can't really bring myself to care for, though that'd probably change if I played it but I haven't and can't at the moment, so I can't see that happening any time soon.

Paper Mario was a fabulous game for reasons that have mostly been covered in earlier posts, so I won't go into that. The Thousand Year Door on other hand, did everything the prequel did right and seriously polished it, improving the game in practically every aspect and I adore it for that. It also had considerably more atmosphere than Bowser's Inside Story, polished its prequel better than Dream Team and I've had many memories with the game, so it's easily my favourite RPG.

I have never had trouble at all with fawful express, I was just good at blowing into the mic.

The reason why I think Bowser's Inside Story was better than Dream Team was because I thought the plot and gameplay elements were slightly better. Dream Team didn't do much wrong gameplay-wise but it didn't have as much things that hit bulls eye unlike. A small problem I with Dream Team is I have some of the areas do overstay their welcome where as you can spend over 3 hours in and not being done. I'm replaying the game right now and I've noticed that it feels like forever to be done with Dozing Sands. However I thought the game was more changeling than BiS and I liked the Dream World more than Bowser's Body because I thought the Dream World areas had more creativity in them with the luiginary works. It was playing as Bowser is what made BiS amazing. I still thought Dream Team was a very good and enjoyable game though and I would defiantly buy this over Sticker Star.

As for Paper Mario, i've played and beaten them all expect TTYD (make me play it :P). The first Paper Mario was very good, it was presented excellently and it introduced a new style of Mario that people loved. Super Paper Mario is only hated by hardcore TTYD (and sometimes the first) for not being like those two games. It's a different game guys and new style plays out well. It's platformer with RPG elements thrown in and I think it works fine which means I think SPM was good game. I think t gets undeserved hate for being different.

Sticker Star was very very mixed for me. The art style was amazing, the music is still very good and there's still quite a bit humor in there. Some of the stages were amazing, I really liked the underground tomb maze (when there's no enemies trying get my way) and the mansion level. There was a bit of variety in the stages and I thought they did a great job on a lot of stages. But then there's not good things. The story went right against what the series stood for, there's no interesting new characters, everyone is a Toad. The sticker idea was great but wasn't executed too well. Firstly some stickers were overpowered, secondly the some elements tacked on with it (like the battle spinner) sucked. And using it wasn't that fun because there was little variety in the enemies. There were also parts of the game where you needed a certain "thing" to move on. The problem here is you didn't know what you need and how you get it. This means that it's very easy to get stuck all the time. The bosses were pretty bad too, the first and third bosses were okay but the rest were all bad for different reasons. I thought Sticker Star's biggest problem is how it not only it didn't relate any of the elements to the past games at all but it also went against these elements - and pretended these games never happened. Why did you slap Paper Mario on to it then.

tl;dr I say why BiS is better than DT, why PM and SPM are good, I rant about Sticker Star.

Bowser's Inside Story is the best one, though Sticker Star gets my vote.

NSY said:
It was playing as Bowser is what made BiS amazing.

I found that cool and all, but I wasn't really wowed wowed by that so that's probably what gave us different opinions.

NSY said:
I have never had trouble at all with fawful express, I was just good at blowing into the mic.

Lucky you, then. For me at least, the mic rarely registered my blowing so my attacks kept failing and I continued losing for quite a while until I beat it because the game gave me mercy or something, and it probably wasn't the DS' fault because it worked fine in other games.

Super Paper Mario.

You might now ask why I chose this one. Well, it's simple.

The story, the characters, the music... Everything blends together perfectly in this game. At points I even forgot that I was playing a Mario game.

for the sake of classic RPG gameplay, TTYD might be the best, but it will never reach the greatness of SPM.

Oh yeah and also the last time I checked the Nintendo Channel (R.I.P. 2006-2012) on my Wii I had 176 hours of playtime on SPM alone, making it the second most played game on my Wii Library.

Back