So whatever happened to Mario and Luigi's V signs?

YoshiCookie

Goomba
It became a big thing in Super Mario World, then Super Mario RPG, then Super Mario 64 all the way to Mario Power Tennis (some people did it for their trophy cutscene). I know Miyamoto said that he'd be doing away with it starting with Luigi's Mansion, but it turned up in the same game (Luigi collecting a key). Even in remakes and sequels this has been worked around (in Super Mario 64 DS, Mario's former V sign when collecting a star just became a fist-in-the-air, and in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, he juggles the key instead of holding it out and doing the V sign). What do you think, guys?

Mario_Victory_Pose_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_64.png

Well, it could be because that sign also represents a gang and Nintendo doesn't want to do that due to controversy. Like during the time, that kind of stuff wasn't around, but now it could cause controversy

Also, aren't they called peace signs?

From my own understanding, it basically means "I'm out! Peace!". This is basically an equivalent to "I'm leaving! Bye, see you later!"

From my obeservation, that's why Mario does it when he finishes a mission or level. He is basically telling them that, but in a sarcastic way. Think of the way he is using it as an equivalent to this "So long suckers!"

But anyway, it could be because of the fact that it does represent a gang too. Source: My fathers' truck driving book showed different kinds of road signs, graffiti and gang signs so you will know what territory are in (he was going to be a school bus driver)

Didn't care it was gone, won't care it will be gone.

chillv said:
Also, aren't they called peace signs?

From my own understanding, it basically means "I'm out! Peace!". This is basically an equivalent to "I'm leaving! Bye, see you later!"

From my obeservation, that's why Mario does it when he finishes a mission or level. He is basically telling them that, but in a sarcastic way. Think of the way he is using it as an equivalent to this "So long suckers!"
It looks like a peace sign but it isnt. It is V for victory. Why would Mario make a peace sign? Richard Nixon did Warios Double V sign when he resigned and got on the plane.

TheYoshiState said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
I prefer the thumbs up.

Wouldn't the Chicago Sun-Times (or was it the Tribune?) sue Nintendo for that?
I don't think anyone has copyrighted / trademarked doing a thumbs up.

Maybe the V-sign is gone because it's no longer the 1990's; it's not trendy anymore.

I'm hoping for a Mario and Luigi twerk-off.

Dear god, a month necro bomb!

Really... there's nothing much to add to this discussion.

because ash ketchum stole it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign#V_sign_as_an_insult

or nintendo didn't like him copying winston churchill

@biber
The V sign, when the palm is facing toward the person giving the sign, has long been an insulting gesture in England

Dankey Kang said:
Three words.
*snip*
Bieber ruined it.
Wow, does he even realize that he's doing the British equivalent to a flip-off?

Back