General Discussion

This sort of stuff is better dealt with categories rather than a nav template. It's like giving books their own nav template. I say there's no point to keeping it. Though I'm not 100% too sure about deleting Blocks, as they're really a Mario thing, to have floating blocks around in Mario games so I think if it's cluttered with too much irrelevant stuff (like, I think the specific Dice Blocks from Mario Party should be trimmed out of the Block template, as they're a "subspecies" of Blocks, hell, their entry on the Block template is entirely redundant on the Dice template. I do think Dice and Block are worth keeping though but the rest, especially Doors, shouldn't be there.

Time Turner said:
edit: i'm a patient person, but it's been almost two weeks since i asked the question and only one person has said anything

Hi.

The template looks like a mess. I mean, there are in game cards and physical cards on the list, but it's incomplete. I'd be fine with an updated overhaul, but I'd be more fine with a deletion.

Time Turner said:
I'll dump the full list here, for easy looking at, even if they're not romanizations (Wiki on the left, guide on the right):

This is the list of enemies from the BradyGames guide for Super Mario Sunshine. They're weird, mangled romanizations of Japanese names except they don't always line up with the actual Japanese names. At the time, I dismissed them as being, but I've also picked up the Versus Books guide for SMS, and nearly all of the names are identical, right down to Skeeters being "Blue Spiders" and Klambers being "Yellow Spiders". The only names that don't match are the series-staple enemies; BradyGames continues with the weird names, while Versus Books uses the traditional names ("Geeso" vs. Blooper, "Pakkun Flower" vs. Piranha Plant, etc.). With two separate guides written by separate people and published by separate companies, I have to wonder if it's actually worth noting these names.

Quick idea that popped into my mind, should the Template:PArchive have hover text that displays either the color or more conveniently the outcome of the proposal? For the colorblind of us.

For example, hovering over the "(ended June 5)" of the first proposal should display "Proposal passed, result is currently enforced." for convenience.

Kazooie said:
Quick idea that popped into my mind, should the Template:PArchive have hover text that displays either the color or more conveniently the outcome of the proposal? For the colorblind of us.

For example, hovering over the "(ended June 5)" of the first proposal should display "Proposal passed, result is currently enforced." for convenience.
If it helps out some of our users, I don't see the harm in it.

Most certainly yes, it's a better idea to have something that helps colorblind users out than to discriminate them.

The wiki has a problem with svg thumbnailing, as the File:PN Bowser.svg page shows. The svg (which you see when directly seeing the image by clicking on it) is rendered correctly by my browsers, while GIMP 2.8.22 too seems to have troubles rendering it; ImageMagick 6.9.3 on my pc doesn't have any problem on the pther hand, the image is correctly rasterized and thus png thumbnailing is possible. Could this be an issue in the svg library that was fixed recently?

porplemontage said:
SVG's on the wiki must use absolute paths. Updated the file.
Thanks! Now we know the workaround. I wonder if the library will support relative paths in the future, since I expect other svg files made by Nintendo to have them.

I've noticed a few talk page proposals who had passed and put into effect despite only having three votes. This goes against rule 8 on the Proposals page:
Any proposal that has three votes or less at deadline will automatically be listed as "NO QUORUM." The original proposer then has the option to relist said proposal to generate more discussion.
This has been around since at least November of 2007, and the proposals I have in mind happened long after this was put here. Would it be wrong for me to go back and undo what they've done?

Edit: Relatedly, one of these proposals "failed" with only three votes and was marked as such, but this was later changed, a few years after the original proposal, to be "no quorum". Was this appropriate?

Niiue said:
alright does anyone have any pics of the trash can item from mario kart arcade gp since i honestly can't find anything

I do have Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 playable, perhaps I could attempt to grab a pic.

Time Turner said:
I've noticed a few talk page proposals who had passed and put into effect despite only having three votes. This goes against rule 8 on the Proposals page:

When I was ----ing around with the Proposal Outcome template, I saw proposals that had no business of passing either.

From my sources, I've heard that everything from the first one is returned in the second one. However if it is exclusive to the first one, then I can't get it. I have only Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 playable.

Baby Luigi said:
From my sources, I've heard that everything from the first one is returned in the second one. However if it is exclusive to the first one, then I can't get it. I have only Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 playable.

Hm, alright. I haven't heard any claims of that nature, for the record.

Why is Long Jump a disambiguation page? The move is far more prominent than the event. I believe the disambig page should be deleted and the move should be moved to replace it.

Is there a proper way of citing a personal email? I ask because I have contacted a developer by email, and they've provided a bit of information that currently isn't on the wiki.

Time Turner said:
Is there a proper way of citing a personal email? I ask because I have contacted a developer by email, and they've provided a bit of information that currently isn't on the wiki.
I guess you can cite an e-mail, as we've made something similar with Dayvv Brooks. Be ready to give a proof of its validity if soemone asks, though.

Time Turner said:
In the past, I've formatted the email as shown here, and then referenced them like this.

Hi! Long time, no see. So, I was about to create a proposal for this, however as I am not always online on the wiki I thought it would be unfair to do so. Anyway, something that is really bothering me is the general human (character) templates. It is very messy and it is hard to find the actually relevant characters on that list (https://www.mariowiki.com/Template:Humans). More specifically the "In Game" then "Mario Franchise" templates. "Other Series" is okay, while "Wario Franchise" I'd say is acceptable.
On other hand the Mario side...it is...uh...it has Mozart, Shakespeare and even Marco Polo. I know those "come" from Mario's Time Machine, and it is a Mario game (technically), but I think we should add a new column for those less relevant characters. Maybe even add the Mario Tennis-only characters that never appeared anymore. Just leave on that column the recurring and important or historical characters.

I am assuming people who come to the wiki uses the template tho. It is pretty possible visitors dont, and I'm the only one who does, so such changes would be irrelevant; well, anyway, opinions?

Back