General Discussion

If we can't get more out of them than that simple few lines, then I agree with their deletion.

I'd like to get some more agreement out of this before I tag them for deletion. I don't think it warrants a talk page proposal.

Lakituthequick said:
Mister Wu said:
Guys, it has been a long wait, but finally APNG on Chromium is happening!

Not only that, builds are being tested for Android as well (although I don't know if a successful Trybot build will immediately lead to it being built for the next Android update as well).
Confirmed to be landing in Chrome 59.

Chrome 58 released last week. There is usually about 1,5-2 months in between versions, so I expect 59 in mid-to-late June.
This confirms that it is indeed coming to all Android versions with Google Chrome, and Opera as well. Good to know that! Now, there's only Edge and a very problematic issue with ImageMagick being maintained by the guys who work on libPNG (who don't want to implement support for APNG due to its use of the .png extension for backward compatibility).

Does the Wiki use ImageMagick for thumbnails generation?

This might be a serious issue, as the developers of ImageMagick have no intention of supporting APNG altogether (not even with the .apng extension is it currently supported). Any idea on how to overcome this?

I don't mean to break up the current conversation, but just a general announcement: the admin noticeboard (MarioWiki:Admin noticeboard) should now only be used if an account or IP needs to be blocked immediately. If they need to be warned, please issue those warnings yourself. For general user concerns, please contact an admin directly.

Mister Wu said:
This might be a serious issue, as the developers of ImageMagick have no intention of supporting APNG altogether (not even with the .apng extension is it currently supported). Any idea on how to overcome this?
Well, it only affects resized images, and large images shouldn't really be animated anyway, so if we simply don't use APNG's that are bigger than intended it then it won't be that big of a deal.

I don't otherwise know at the moment, will look into it.

Actually, they are useful for these purposes: they should be used for sprites compressed with a texture compression format that have more than 256 unique colors (especially those of Paper Mario: Color Splash that have an 8-bits Alpha Channel) and for the artwork that Nintendo created for LINE (that is natively in the APNG format). Those should be uploaded in their native size, which is not the one used in boxes and galleries. Having to create a resized version for every box is tedious and inane, especially because a change in the size of the image forces recreating and reuploading.

I'm trying to find videos on Mario Sports Superstars credits sequence on YouTube but....

Ech I can just play the game

What do you think about FLAC for the Wiki? It's an open and royalty-free lossless audio format that is widely supported, now also by Firefox and Google Chrome. Since we rightfully try to use lossless compression for images, FLAC might be useful for lossless compression of sound clips from games.

I'd support FLAC though that depends if the audio wasn't compressed beforehand into mp3. I'm not exactly sure why .wav isn't supported, though. I know that format has royalties but it's annoying to jump an extra hurdle to convert .wav to .ogg for wiki use.

Isn't it part of a copyright condition, that any sound clips we use must be of inferior quality to the original? I thought that's why we used OGG, because of the high compression rate.

Billie Holiday said:
Isn't it part of a copyright condition, that any sound clips we use must be of inferior quality to the original?

Wikipedia artificially limits the quality and resolution of its uploads so that it can invoke the Fair Use defense should someone try to sue them about hosting copyrighted content. This model was followed by other wikis. Although we're obviously far more permissive when it come to images and quotations, this is the same reasoning that had us draw the line at hosting full transcripts and complete soundtracks uploads.

But the thing is, there's no law anywhere that says it's ok to upload a poster as long as it's less than 480p or use a commercial song as long as the quality is shit. Uploading Baby Luigi's sound clips in Mk8 in FLAC is "as legal" as if you uploaded them as a 32kb bitrate mp3. The whole "limiting quality" movement is purely to show good faith.

OK, so someone on another forum posted about remembering an unused track for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Okay, guys, maybe one of you can help me do a little sleuthing.

Back in 2010, GameTrailers (remember them?) released an YouTube video of Donkey Kong Country Returns—specifically, early gameplay footage of Rickety Rails. It started with a CG graphic of the "camera" swooping into the E3 convention center, then transitioned to a direct feed of someone playing the level.

But here's the thing that's been driving me nuts: the music from that video is not in the final game. It sounds nothing like the tune that actually plays in the first part of Rickety Rails (before you enter the cave and get in the mine cart). All the sound effects were there, so it wasn't some tune that the GT guys threw over the footage.

I want to find that tune, dammit.

I can still hum it. At first, it had a slow tempo, an "awestruck" kind of feel, and some clanging bells in the background, but then it transitioned into something faster and more "adventurous." The closest thing I can compare it to (at least the first part) is Ruins from Kirby 64, except not as solemn.

I searched high and low on the various GameTrailer archives as well as duped content, but I can't find the video this person is talking about. Does anyone in here remember the song that person is talking about?

Baby Luigi said:
I'm not exactly sure why .wav isn't supported, though. I know that format has royalties but it's annoying to jump an extra hurdle to convert .wav to .ogg for wiki use.
Because WAV, similar to BMP, is completely compression-less which means that for decent quality the file size gets large really fast.

Glowsquid said:
I found the video you linked to but it's not what the person was describing.

*tries to look it up on Smash Custom Music*

*site is still down*

175px-Baby_Mario_Artwork_-_Yoshi%27s_New_Island.png

Back