General Discussion

Talk:Boost_Mode

My concerns with Boost Mode and other New Super Mario Bros. U modes being their own articles rather than merged with their parent article.

Baby Luigi said:
Talk:Boost_Mode

My concerns with Boost Mode and other New Super Mario Bros. U modes being their own articles rather than merged with their parent article.
I'd actually be in support of more modes being split from their main articles, so long as they have enough substance to them (Subspace Emissary comes to mind). With Boost Mode, though, it doesn't look like it has enough content to warrant being separate.

I support modes like Super Duel Mode, Coin Rush, and Smash Run split too, using the same logic as you have. However, I want to merge these because as you said, these modes don't have their own content and unlockables and can easily fit into the main New Super Mario Bros. U article.

Recently i was able to rip straight from MP10 the minigame thumbnails.

I was wondering if it was ok if i replaced the existing ones from each minigame page with the one from the game.

Example>

6X2aqn6.png

A gameplay screenshot is better imo, as it shows necessary HUD and it's higher quality.

Lakituthequick said:
Mister Wu said:
Guys, it has been a long wait, but finally APNG on Chromium is happening!

Not only that, builds are being tested for Android as well (although I don't know if a successful Trybot build will immediately lead to it being built for the next Android update as well).
Confirmed to be landing in Chrome 59.

Chrome 58 released last week. There is usually about 1,5-2 months in between versions, so I expect 59 in mid-to-late June.
News flash: Chrome 59 released earlier this week. APNG is now natively supported in Chrome.

Is this the time to now support .apng once again?

Technically, the format doesn't use the .apng extension in order to ensure backward compatibility, this is the reason why ImageMagick doesn't support it and the reason why MediaWiki doesn't create thumbnails out of those images. In that sense, is there a workaround? I think this is the most important aspect now, as APNG is useful mainly to compress sprites compressed with modern texture compression formats (and for LINE artwork) and some of them are inevitably more than 200 pixels wide. Using a lossless format and then requiring downsizing doesn't sound right to me.

Are comics merchandise? They're categorized as such on the wiki, and it's technically appropriate to tag them as merchandise, but to me, it's like tagging the games or the movies as merchandise.

Techinically, yes. As far as sane wiki content tagging should be, no.

Hello! Following the hype over Pauline, I decided to try to translate her bios from the Japanese Mario Character Encyclopedia...I only know Japanese's Katakana and Hiragana, and know few and mostly basic kanji meanings...Anyway, I came up with a translation for her bio as Lady (as a separate character), and I wanted to know if even not being the best translator, if I can add this to her page with a note saying the translation might be innacurate? Here is the original test+my translation+Google Translate help:

マリオゲーム初の女性キャう
私はマリオの一番最所さの恋人。ドンキーコングにいきなりさらわれて͡恐のわかつたけど、必ずマリオが助 けてくれるって信じてたわ。

Mario's first game female captured
I am Mario's best known lover. I was scared by Donkey Kong and I knew it was terrible, but I always believed that Mario would help me.

I want to translate more characters' info from that book, however, again, am not the best at japanese

Ashley and Red said:
Hello! Following the hype over Pauline, I decided to try to translate her bios from the Japanese Mario Character Encyclopedia...I only know Japanese's Katakana and Hiragana, and know few and mostly basic kanji meanings...Anyway, I came up with a translation for her bio as Lady (as a separate character), and I wanted to know if even not being the best translator, if I can add this to her page with a note saying the translation might be innacurate? Here is the original test+my translation+Google Translate help:

マリオゲーム初の女性キャう
私はマリオの一番最所さの恋人。ドンキーコングにいきなりさらわれて͡恐のわかつたけど、必ずマリオが助 けてくれるって信じてたわ。

Mario's first game female captured
I am Mario's best known lover. I was scared by Donkey Kong and I knew it was terrible, but I always believed that Mario would help me.

I want to translate more characters' info from that book, however, again, am not the best at japanese
Sorry that I reply only now, but I would point out two things:

• remember to track down the exact title of the book from which you took the bio: there were actually two characters picture books/encyclopedias published in Japan in the '90s, the Perfect Edition of the Great Mario Character Encyclopedia (「マリオキャラクター大事典 パーフェクト版」), a book from Shogakukan that includes a bio of Lady and Pauline (you can see it here) and is where you took the bio of Lady from, and the Super Mario Great Picture Book (「スーパーマリオ大図鑑」) from Kodansha which I ordered and should arrive soon. By the way, the Super Mario Complete Encyclopedia (「スーパーマリオ全百科」), an older book by Shogakukan focused on the first four Super Mario Bros. games (SMW was SMB4 in Japan) has a small bio of Lady as well, if you're interested in it I can scan you that specific page.
  • unless you fully understand the meaning of the sentences, I suggest to ask an user who knows Japanese very well about a proper translation to be added to the wiki, I made several mistakes on this point before and the result was pretty awful (although I lack any knowledge of Japanese, so your results would be better for sure)...

Sorry that I reply only now, but I would point out two things:

• remember to track down the exact title of the book from which you took the bio: there were actually two characters picture books/encyclopedias published in Japan in the '90s, the Perfect Edition of the Great Mario Character Encyclopedia (「マリオキャラクター大事典 パーフェクト版」), a book from Shogakukan that includes a bio of Lady and Pauline (you can see it here) and is where you took the bio of Lady from, and the Super Mario Great Picture Book (「スーパーマリオ大図鑑」) from Kodansha which I ordered and should arrive soon. By the way, the Super Mario Complete Encyclopedia (「スーパーマリオ全百科」), an older book by Shogakukan focused on the first four Super Mario Bros. games (SMW was SMB4 in Japan) has a small bio of Lady as well, if you're interested in it I can scan you that specific page.
  • unless you fully understand the meaning of the sentences, I suggest to ask an user who knows Japanese very well about a proper translation to be added to the wiki, I made several mistakes on this point before and the result was pretty awful (although I lack any knowledge of Japanese, so your results would be better for sure)...

Thank you very much for the reply!!! As for the book, I actually knew it came from Shogakukan's Character Encyclopedia, however I didn't knew the specific name of it XD Also, I'd like that page if possible ><

Oh, and about the translating itself, I have a few japanese friends who are proefficient in English as well, so they could translate those. I could try asking for the help, I just hope they aren't too busy.

The manual for Super Mario Bros. 3 describes a Rotary Lift: "Sometimes these lifts spin. Be careful or you'll be spun off!" Does the wiki have an article on it?

Is it acceptable to use a film's pre-production script (that roughly matches the final product) as a source when it comes to finding names for a subject that currently has a conjectural name? This page features several scripts for the film, but the final one is the closest to the original product. It deviates with the dialogue, but it's roughly similar on a scene-to-scene basis. To get to the point, Flame Gun is a conjectural name, and the script refers to it as a "flamethrower" - is that good enough, or is it too far away to be used as a source?

Interesting scenario. I think it would be acceptable to use for that example you mentioned - we've got nothing else to go off.

I don't have a problem with using pre-production material or file data to name stuff that's not named otherwise but I don't however think lowercase "flamethrower" (and many other instances of "offiicial names" being sourced from generic, lower-case utterances currently on the wiki) is not strong enough to be considered an "official name". Presenting them to the reader as True Official Names instead of the generic mentions they are is very misleading.

Glowsquid said:
I don't have a problem with using pre-production material or file data to name stuff that's not named otherwise but I don't however think lowercase "flamethrower" (and many other instances of "offiicial names" being sourced from generic, lower-case utterances currently on the wiki) is not strong enough to be considered an "official name". Presenting them to the reader as True Official Names instead of the generic mentions they are is very misleading.
I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of stuff either, but in the absence of anything better, I don't mind using it so long as it's consistently used and not obviously a generic term (as in, "stomp on the enemy," "grab the item," and the like).

Back