General Discussion

Baby Luigi said:
Trophy Descriptions

Yes, this is not a broken link.
It is now.

Baby Luigi said:
I would disassociate them if I had some sort of source proving my statement correct.
Then I guess for now just make sure their respective aboutfiles mention the other image, and leave it at that for now?

Mario Party Δ said:
When would the template be considered done? And when is a good time to implement it?
Well, it's not just one isolated template, it's introducing the idea of infoboxes in general being horizontal for "List of stats" pages/sections and only left vertical when they're in a page's infobox, which would require a proposal.

Plus, I haven't figured out how to toggle them between the two forms yet, and I'd still like to see if that's possible before we have to make two of every infobox.

I guess. Or just say that it was originally used in Nintendo Power Issue whatever (see I don't know exactly what issue, I just remember it was about dates so I assumed it was a Valentine's Day one).

I checked my pile of old NP mags, and yep, page 57 of Issue 164 (Feb. 2011). But it's a tiny image, so the wiki's version clearly didn't come from there specifically.

Walkazo said:
Well, it's not just one isolated template, it's introducing the idea of infoboxes in general being horizontal for "List of stats" pages/sections and only left vertical when they're in a page's infobox, which would require a proposal.

Plus, I haven't figured out how to toggle them between the two forms yet, and I'd still like to see if that's possible before we have to make two of every infobox.
I can't imagine opposition to an alternate version of infobox, but I'll set up the proposal if you want once you feel it's ready.

Yeah, I'm not itching to make a proposal, I just think the progress is going swimmingly right now for me to ask the question in the first place.

Pi said:
http://nintendoeverything.com/miyamoto-says-marios-full-name-is-mario-mario/

What do we do about this?
http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Luigi&curid=1010&action=history

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Mario&curid=984&action=history

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=List_of_rumors_and_urban_legends_about_Mario&curid=180306&action=history

They're already covered here, but we just say something like "Shiggy redacted his statement and has said that their last naemz are indeed 'Mayro' [ref]".

http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:Necky_the_Fox

Mario Party Δ said:
Walkazo said:

I can't imagine opposition to an alternate version of infobox, but I'll set up the proposal if you want once you feel it's ready.

Yeah, I'm not itching to make a proposal, I just think the progress is going swimmingly right now for me to ask the question in the first place.
I'd be happy to do the proposal if you're not keen: I really like template work, and have already sunk a number of hours into this (coding takes a while). I also want to at least do one more example too - from the PM series to see how it'll work for the tattles and such, before moving forward with anything.

Walkazo said:
Mario Party Δ said:
Walkazo said:

I'd be happy to do the proposal if you're not keen: I really like template work, and have already sunk a number of hours into this (coding takes a while). I also want to at least do one more example too - from the PM series to see how it'll work for the tattles and such, before moving forward with anything.
Please do. The placements of those many templates have been bugging me for years and I'm glad something is going to be done to these eyesores.

I mean, what I mean by "not itching", I wasn't going to try to jump the gun, although it might seem like that when I was asking when we can make a proposal on that.

Ah, okay. Although it might be a short while before I can make the proposal myself: I'm gonna be working 12 hour shifts (6 AM to 6 PM, with a 4 AM wake-up time) for one or two weeks as of Monday, so the usual wiki bsns is all I'll have time to oversee until that's over. I'll try to get the examples prepared ahead of time, just don't wanna have a proposal running until I can properly manage it if people disagree for whatever reason.

Ah, you have a bigger burden of real-life work than me. :\ Man, that sounds like it sucks. Me on the other hand, I have all this time even though I have college...

Baby Luigi said:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:Necky_the_Fox

I'll bring it up again. I'm assuming the benefit of the doubt and that you either overlooked this or forgot it.

I forgot I overlooked it. Anyway, the talk page discussion was pretty clear, so you could have just swapped {{tobedeleted}} with {{deleted}}, but w/e, it's deleted now.

Mario Party Δ said:
Ah, you have a bigger burden of real-life work than me. :\ Man, that sounds like it sucks. Me on the other hand, I have all this time even though I have college...
Fortunately the first 8 hours are bird research, but then the rest is about plants. No offence to botanists, but vegetation surveys are really boring. I get a couple afternoons off from the plant stuff to work retail instead, at least, which is usually slow enough I can do wiki stuff between customers.

Anyway, on an on-topic note, I've been continuing work on the infoboxes; pretty sure I can get them to switch, although I've been side-tracked from testing that by trying to get the stupid pnenemeybox to work: it's already switching between PM and PM2, which is fine for the vertical boxes - but a nightmare for the horizontal ones. I'm starting to feel like it'd be easier to just split that template, which would also be consistent with every other RPGs, and simplify things a lot, even before the added vertical/horizontal layer of hellish coding.

EDIT: Yep, got the templates switching between the horizontal and vertical versions. The coding's here (User:Walkazo/Test2), the transcluded example's here (User:Walkazo/Essays#M.26L:SS).

Okay, is the proposal going to be set up? And is credit going to be given to both of us....?

One more unanswered question. http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:Mario#Aliases_and_occupations_sections_are_very_stupid

Probably will be less boring than looking at a bunch of plants that don't even eat you. :buzzy:

Honestly, I think his list of jobs is interesting, and would rather see it expanded to have the stuff missed: they're minor, yes, but otherwise anyone who wants to look up al the roles Mario's taken in obscure G&W games and all that jazz would need to comb through the pages themselves.

But I do agree that the aliases sections can probably go: most of them are one-off insults or nicknames which don't really shed any light on Mario's character or history - they're more reflective of whoever called him the name, really. And in any cases where it is an alias or a common/significant nickname, it should be able to be added into the body text somewhere - the Relationships section comes to mind in particular, like saying how Luigi calls Mario "Bro" or "Big Bro" a lot, and how Bowser likes to throw "Super [insult] Bros." around while on the show, King Koopa had disparaging nicknames abounding. The quotes pages/sections of the people saying the names could also take them, if they don't already have them (another potential place for Bowser's many insults towards Mario).

Mario Party Δ said:
Okay, is the proposal going to be set up? And is credit going to be given to both of us....?

Probably will be less boring than looking at a bunch of plants that don't even eat you. :buzzy:
Yeah, in October, after my fornight of hellish, sleep-deprived botany is over. The proposer line will be "{{User|Walkazo}} and {{User|Bazooka Mario}}".

Well, instead of carnivorous plants, we do have stinging nettles that try to make every bit of you that touches them burn, even through some clothing, and the entire study site is crawling with fire ants with similar goals in life, plus mosquitoes and spiders everywhere. So while there is no risk of being eaten, there is pretty much a guarantee of being in pain at least some of the time and covered in spiderwebs all the time. Yay science. :thumbsup:

What occupations should I list, though? It's a very murky area for me to parse through, especially when we have an entire game devoted to Mario's various occupations. Should we include only occupations Mario has actually exercised in or only dressed up in related clothes? Either way, it's going to be some list.

Should I set up a TPP?

Also, this suffers a similar problem. If this kind of cruft is too prevalent, might as well set up a general proposal.

eek, spider webs. Hope there aren't too much Scuttlebugs.

So, we finally scrapped Category:Sub-Species! Thanks everyone! Man, that was pretty tedious. Now, we need to remove those instances ("subspecies" "sub-species", etc.) from the text.

I also set up a TPP on the occupations and aliases thing. I thought occupations could serve some use, as Walkazo said, but I can't think of a reasonable alternative on it without inflating the size of the list.

Just a reminder, this category still needs a crackdown.

I've been slowly (but steadily) getting rid of "sub-species" whenever I have free time and feel like easy, low-thought maintenance work instead of tiring policy/coding/proposal/admin bsns. Replacing categories is also a great way to find other maintenance work along the way, so I don't find that sorta thing tedious at all, but quite enjoyable and satisfying, tbh. I'm happy to continue fixing the text and infobox parameters.

Also, speaking of piggybacking maintenance work on category bsns, for the SSB images, keep an eye out for badly-formatted or missing aboutfiles and fixing them too as you go along with the categories: it's the easiest way to find these sorts of issues.

Why can't we just get a bot to replace sub-species with derived species? I mean, Steve knows how to make replacements via bot (like getting rid of links to the "Player" article.

I'd rather not use a bot to change actual text: just deleting links is one thing, but I'd rather see actual brains decide what to replace "sub-species" with, since in a lot of cases, plain "species" or "type" would be better than clunky "derived species", and there's also the odd official quote here and there that use it (or "subspecies") and shouldn't be changed at all. (And again, I like this sort of maintenance work and am perfectly happy to keep doing it by hand...)

Oh hahaha, I don't like it. You're so busy and all so I think it would lift some labor if the process is automated and relieve some stress from you.

btw, brains do go behind programming bots but I heavily digress.

So I kind of hate it when articles have =={{conjecturaltext|text}}== since it's very inconsistent and it looks very, very ugly. I think formatting in headers should be minimised to italics only, so I propose we fix this. For the Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 Galaxy levels, I propose we mention that "all names of planets are conjectural", and for glitch pages we should say "all names of these glitches are conjectural" in the introduction paragraph. What does everyone say about this?

Wouldn't this text be easily overlooked? Once the conjectural text titles are removed, it becomes way less apparent. I don't think they look that ugly since they're pretty subtle in the text.

I spent 15 minutes looking for the swooper article yesterday because I only remembered that they were bats, not their actual name. But the bat page doesn't list swoops in there. So in the end I had to find by going to the wario's goldmine article and seeing there that they are called swoops. So I decided, let's help people with a similar problem in the future and add Swooper to the disambiguation page but then someone removed it because it doesn't specifically have bat in the title. Why is this? I'm pretty sure that most people searching for bat in the wiki mean to find swoopers. This is just making the wiki less accessable for the sake of some petty consistency.

Back