General Discussion

Well, I've actually asked ("demanded" might be more accurate considering the slight frustration and even hostility at the time*): and UhHuhAlrightDaisy, the original author of the information, gave me the link to a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Q-YTY7H9c

He then explained below:

In this video you can see her displaying the Urban slang "Uh-huh, alright, DAISY" while brushing off her shoulders, acting sassy, "Hot stuff!" she feels the heat of herself and exclaims "yyeah!" And how she stands and gestures has A LOT to do with her personality, because her demeanor is all about what her personality reads and how she evokes that. She is common to have her hands on her hips, to gesture a certain way that shows off all the aspects of her personality even in a still artwork as used in the section.

(entire text in the link above)

The problem is, I don't hear the "urban slang" accent. It sounds like she has an American accent, which isn't unique to Daisy. I feel it's part of "reading too much into it", honestly. I'm not denying Daisy has a personality, though, but I don't feel comfortable basing her speech on simple "oh yeahs!" and excitement from scoring a goal.

*Hostility didn't emerge from a vacuum, check the revision history at around Spring 2014. And this one

In other words, it's just someone bullshitting. Happens a lot.

Feel free to remove the crufty analysis of her speech. "She's a spunky, sassy lady", 'nuf said.

Does anyone have the faintest clue why the Mario Party 7 article is messed up, or is this just a local issue on my end? To me, everything after the opening paragraphs is entirely in italics. Is this the case for anyone else?

Last time something like that happened it was because somewhere the some italics were left unfinished. I'm checking through the article's history to see when it first happened so it can be rectified.

EDIT: Fixed.

As someone who's never played Toadstool Tour or Advance Tour, could someone explain what the scoreboard/score chart is? A few articles, likeStrollin' Stu and Smolderin' Stu, reference it and seem to use it as the source for their name. I wanted to confirm that this was the case, but the information on the wiki about scores is rather lacking.

Hm. So there's nothing that actually indicates that, say, Gooble, for example, is the name of the colorful blob in SMS? Because there aren't any images that appear alongside the names.

I suppose the name arose from process of elimination?

Because the names obviously refer to stuff in sunshine, and are generally descriptive enough you can proceed by elimination.

I suppose. I guess I'm just too caught up in believing that our sources need to be 100% strictly confirmed. Also, I was about to comment on the... abrasiveness of what you edited out (the Churchill quote was a bit much), so I appreciate the edit.

Post conflict, but still gonna say...

Yeah, per Glowsquid (original abrasiveness and all): it's a reasonable inference and we'd be doing more harm than good to be picky about it. I added the link to the ref on the page; now readers can judge for themselves whether or not to be doubtful, or agree with the wiki in simply being glad we got a crumb of info to work with at all, instead of being stuck with the obviously erroneous "Swoopin' Stu" Prima name.

Time Turner said:
Also, I was about to comment on the... abrasiveness of what you edited out (the Churchill quote was a bit much), so I appreciate the edit.

Funny, I thought what came before was considerably more insulting.

yeah, I need a time-out

Just a question, but is there any reasonable way to incorporate "Names in Other Languages" in list articles such as Badge or Equipment? I don't mean a generic name, but the specific ones that are in other languages...

Hmm, I'll have to reconsider. I thought it would be helpful to list some completely different names alongside the English names but I guess that's not really possible without cluttering the article.

for the badge page, I don't feel listing the foreign names is necessary because the badges are now supposed to have standalone pages where those names can be listed. for that "equipment" section, I first thought of having a "names in other languages" template using the same format as the item list, but it would be ridiculously huge and not really pratical.

Maybe we should take an hint from wikia's tabbed templates..?

No, tabs are the devil.

For equipment, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a new column for names in other languages (the "Types" column hardly needs to be that wide), and then use
to stack the names when we know more than one additional language. Like, Fr: Merde - "shit"
Jap: Kuso - "shit"
, etc. - maybe use hober-over for non-inuitive ones like "FrA"/"FrE" if they're needed.

And for badges, yeah, outsource them to the specific pages: that was one of the reasons to split them, iirc.

Yeah, I figured it would be outsourced.

I'll provide an example of a NOA French badge name at some point.

I'm sorta in a rush, but what do you think?

http://www.mariowiki.com/User:Bazooka_Mario/sandbox#Equipment_and_crap

Edit: made an edit in the page to accommodate the ranks.

Good start, but might I suggest this rearrangement / reformatting:

Code:
{| class=sortable align=center width=100% cellspacing=0 border=1 cellpadding=3 style="text-align:center; border-collapse:collapse; font-family:Arial;"
|-
!width=10%| Name
!width="64px"|Image
!Types (in ascending power)
!Usable by
!width="180px"| Names in other languages
|-
|Overalls
|[[File:Equipment Overalls.png]]
|Ordinary Overalls, Trendy Overalls, Vintage Overalls
|[[File:Mario Head SSB4.png|link=Mario|32x32px]] [[File:Luigi Head SSB4.png|link=Luigi|32x32px]] [[File:Wario Head SSB4.png|link=Wario|32x32px]]
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette'' - "jeans"
'''Jap:''' クソ ''Kuso'' - "shit"
|-
|}

Since the extra languages are extra info, imo it makes more sense to put them at the end (like actual articles), plus it adds more balance with how the images are ordered (txt - img - txt - img - txt). I also increased the width to get the header to be a one-liner, and to add more room for the Japanese kana and translations (since folks will wanna know, and as long as they're direct one-liners, and not full sentences, it should be fine; if more explanation's needed, it can be put at the bottom with *s like how some other tables work). Doing the romanization also made it occur to me that all the languages being in italics would help distinguish them from the explanations, and would make it look consistent with the Japanese (and potentially Chi/Rus/Kor names too). Since "NOA" is all-caps, the subscript function isn't really effective (the letters are still big), but simple parentheses seems like it works well enough.

Also, I checked, and it works well even with lots of heads, although any more than 14 and it goes into three levels and compacts the "Types" header into two-lines with more than 12 heads (on a 1024 px wide screen with no adds). If some of the names are longer, it might even be better to increase the language width to "200px" (or "220px"), which will (both) make three rows of heads for more than 12, and makes the "Types" header two lines with more than 10 (again, at my sorta "minimal" resolution).

One thing to note, we need to take account into the different languages per type.

For instance, shoes are "souliers", and Ordinary Shoes are "Souliers de premier prix", Lightweight Shoes are "Souliers d'entraînement" and "Ultra-Lightweight Shoes are "Souliers de compétition". So you have to create another "other languages" column, if that's reasonable.

P.S. Thanks for cooperating; I thought it was a dumb idea. ._.

I think it's maxed out on number of columns.

Maybe it would be better to make a dedicated (ex-)subpage - "List of equipment names in other languages", then have the tables there only be the names for both the overall equipment and the specific ones. The only thing is that it can't be a sortable table due to nested rows.

Code:
{| class=wikitable align=center width=100% cellspacing=0 border=1 cellpadding=3 style="text-align:center; border-collapse:collapse; font-family:Arial;"
|-
!Name
!Names in Other languages
!Types (in ascending power)
!Names in other languages
|-
|rowspan=3|Overalls
|rowspan=3|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette'' - "jeans"
|Ordinary Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette vert'' - "green jeans"
'''Jap:''' ウソ ''Uso'' - "lie"
|-
|Trendy Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette blanche'' - "white jeans"
'''Jap:''' クソウソ ''Kuso-uso'' - "shit lie"
|-
|Vintage Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette orange'' - "orange jeans"
'''Jap:''' クソヤロー ''Kuso-yarō'' - "shit bastard"
|-
|rowspan=3|Overalls
|rowspan=3|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette'' - "jeans"
|Ordinary Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette vert'' - "green jeans"
'''Jap:''' ウソ ''Uso'' - "lie"
|-
|Trendy Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette blanche'' - "white jeans"
'''Jap:''' クソウソ ''Kuso-uso'' - "shit lie"
|-
|Vintage Overalls
|'''Fr (NOA):''' ''Salopette orange'' - "orange jeans"
'''Jap:''' クソヤロー ''Kuso-yarō'' - "shit bastard"
|}

(same entry's repeated twice to show how it looks because I'm too tired to make up more translations)

Considering your experience in the wiki, is creating an ex-subpage on other languages alone a first? :P It sounds strange to me, but I'll try it out and see how that works.

P.S. I'm having trouble removing the line about Daisy's "Dixie accent, Valleyspeak, and even Ebonics".

As far as I know, it is. There's only really been a recent push for expanding knowledge about these sorta of minor things, such as splitting out the badges, and now trying to include non-English names for both them and equipment. Before, it was more like, as long as the list was complete, it was good enough.

And yeah, I saw that; I took it out again - as well as heaps of other cruft. I'll probably look into cleaning up the Peach article a bit too: that one's got a pretty excessive General Info section too. For both if them, the Alternate Outfits sub-sections bother me in particular: it's like, if people wanna know the details of every last piece of sportswear these ladies wore, they can just look at the Gallery...

Back