General Discussion

Thanks for the change!

Baby Luigi said:
Mkay, I have a big issue with the black color used in Template:Delete

Whenever you link a page, the blue words mesh pretty badly with the black background

here's an example at the time of this writing:

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Template:SSBtrophy&diff=1800745&oldid=732477

tl;dr: gray is a better color than black
Same problem with using hyperlinks with the template.

That doesn't come up much and it's a lighter blue so it's still visible; I think we can live with it.

Nah, it's not as bad as the last version.

Before it becomes a thing, can someone please reformat this? The table is NOT the desired organizational format in this case, but I don't have the spare time to change it into a more appealing format.

So I bought two more guides from Prima (New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart 7), and they both happen to have high-quality images perfect for the wiki, giving me even more work to do. yay I'm not entirely sure if the images are direct rips of the games' models or all-new artwork. NSMB2 has enemies, MK7 has karts, and both of them look kind of jagged while still being high-quality (Kart 1, Kart 2, Enemy 1, Enemy 2). Any ideas?

Time Turner said:
giving me even more work to do. yay
You're not subtle.

Well, actual Gold Goomba NSMB2 art looks WAY different (File:Gold_Goomba_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros._2.png), and it doesn't look much like 3DS models either (our Goomba for comparison (File:NewGoldGoomba.png)). The karts look almost like cropped screenshots to me - especially this one, since you can see some errant black outlining, bit whatever they are, we already have them in png form - slightly smaller, true, but I'd argue they're better than the jagged jpgs anyway. The Goombas are okay, but I definitely wonder about what exactly they are...

EDIT: argh brackets

The bodies are most certainly not artwork quality, especially the lack of anti-aliasing around the edges, low-res textures (apparent on the pipe), and jagged edges meant for 60 fps optimization.

I've took a look at the enemies, nope, they're too low-poly and jagged looking to be new artwork as well.

Walkazo said:
Time Turner said:
giving me even more work to do. yay
You're not subtle.
I have four projects that I need to do and four more that I decided to do. I am reveling in all the work I've forced upon myself. /s

In regards to the model rips/new artwork/whatever they are, anything in particular you want me to do with the NSMB2 enemies? They may be an enigma, they're certainly something new (here are a few more images that might help: Lava Bubble, "Crow", Thwomp, Big Twomp, Fire Snake, and Flame Chomp), and considering they're from an official source, they should be at least worth uploading.

Oh no they're totally worth uploading, I'm just saying they're not artwork quality.

2257 said:
hey if anyone has the ability to take screenshots from n64 hardware (i don't), this should be replaced

Vanish_Mario.png

that translucency effect is created by emulators. the real nintendo 64 uses a dissolve effect instead
Like this?

VanishLuigiSM64DS.png

There is already an old revision using the dissolve effect. I'm not sure whether of them is for the VC and the other for N64. Or even if they are both identical.. Need help from someone who has a console.
Vanish_Mario.png
20140304113235%21Vanish_Mario.png

If you want you can revert it.

I was digging through some old magazines online when I came across Issue #5 of the Nintendo Magazine System, which was apparently the official Nintendo mag of Australia. It covers Super Mario Land 2, and also happens to give some names to the bosses: Kurosu is "Bird," Rikkī is "Sewer Rat," Sabāsa is "Witch," and Pako is "Octopus." Not exactly the most original of names, and considering it comes from such a distant source, I'm a bit reluctant to use them as the official names. A source is still a source, though... I dunno, just feels off to me.

it's english and official.

I had this question just now: should we cover amiibo shortage in "List of Mario-related controversies"? We have a few "mainstream" articles like Forbes and Wired covering this issue. Is it within MarioWiki's scope, or is it more of a general Nintendo issue than a Mario issue (although a few Mario-related amiibos are part of it)?

I already asked this on the talk page of amiibo. I say yes but I would want it on a designated reception section of amiibo.

Not to mention, the entire Wave 4 debacle, where lurks Wario amiibos.

But that sounds like a generic thing. But again, even Wikipedia has yet to cover this sort of thing.

Well this stuff is really significant and subject to much scrunity to games journalism so I said it's significant for this wiki to cover it.

As long as it's done from a Mario/SSB POV and kept to the basics ("Rosalina, Gold Mario and whatever were involved in a terrible shortage of Amiibos that crippled GameStops all across the world and lead to mass rioting in the streets as overbooked stores cancelled orders<ref><ref>"), it should be fine on the Amiibo page, at least; I feel like putting it on the Controversy page is a bit too much since it's not really a controversy about something from the series.

Glitchy said:
There was mass rioting in the streets?

If you count the mass "DDoS" on GameStop's servers, the ---- glitching up of Target's servers, the ridiculously long hourly lines, and how the cash registers on GameStop crashed simultaneously, then yeah, it pretty much is a mass riot.

Back