Ideas to make coins in Mario games less worthless

chillv

9-Volt must be my video game counterpart.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9FDzHGKVY
[/youtube]

Josh Thomas is right about this, The coins in Mario are kind of worthless at this point. Sure, New Super Mario Bros. 2 did something with them, but not much. I don't think they should remove them, but I do think they should do something with them other than lives.

Anyway, these are my ideas...

They could have an item shop like the one in Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze (This is actually a good idea)

They could create a character who has control over land/restate or something and makes you pay in coins to progress further, forcing you to replay levels for coins (but, I feel this will be annoying)

What are your ideas?

Unlock Toadette with a trillion coins.

Seriously, I always think coins could be used in many unlockable ideas, even though it may not be as difficult as hidden elements like the Star coins.

maybe have like an item shop or something

or just scrap them altogether

or make different color coins affect the level!!!!

Dorayaki said:

Good thing you're kidding.

Do you have any idea how much a trillion coins are? It's a million times more than a million.

Hans said:
maybe have like an item shop or something

well it works in the rpgs at least

dunno how well it would be in platformers

Just make collecting coins a requirement to get a special medal, just as how collecting 100 coins earns you a bonus star in Super Mario 64 games. Just make it so enemies don't release a coin when they are defeated or else people will farm from enemy spawners.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Just make it so enemies don't release a coin when they are defeated or else people will farm from enemy spawners.

Yes you can do that. Just make them stop releasing coins when they are defeated from an enemy spawner or when you defeat a certain number of them they stop releasing coins. Have you ever played Super Mario 64 DS????

Baby Luigi said:
Dorayaki said:
Good thing you're kidding.bDo you have any idea how much a trillion coins are?
Yes, I'm. :P Honestly I never tend to collect coins so I have no clear idea how many coins to unlock a character. Or maybe a trillion USD can ask Nintendo to do so.

Some of these ideas you have posted here are good, and yes, they DEFINITELY need to give coins a different purpose other than that of giving you a life every time you get 100 of them. Just like they made the score actually useful for the first time ever in Super Mario 3D World. People compete to grab the Green Stars (even if they have been collected already), the items they don't need, defeat enemies, etc, all to get the coveted crown at the end of the level, to make the game cooperative but competitive at the same time. It's awesome.

If they were going to be used in a shop like in DKCR, then coins would have to be made far more scarce.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
If they were going to be used in a shop like in DKCR, then coins would have to be made far more scarce.
Or the prices could be higher, like 150 coins for a Super Mushroom or something.

1,000,000 coins just to get past the title screen.

BlimpFruit said:
Mario4Ever said:
1,000,000 coins just to get past the title screen.
And coins can be purchased with real money for 1 cent a coin.
But before that, you have to validate your purchase by paying a fee to unlock the verification code.

It would save programming time and money if they simply cut coins out. After all, there is very little incentive to collect coins.

Back