frozen misrepresentation

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
...am I missing something, or what? Because that tumblr does not contain any post discussing the racial problems with this movie??

anyway, i've always admitted that frozen has flaws. the whitewashing of it is one of the major ones. but while that is a problem, it's done in pretty much every other movie. that's not an excuse, but with all of the things that frozen does right, i feel that by comparison it is a good movie

Re: disney misrepresentation

I don't think the whitewashing is that bad. Aren't human populations in like Denmark less diverse than the US?

Elsa said:
...am I missing something, or what? Because that tumblr does not contain any post discussing the racial problems with this movie??

I think BMB just decided to expand upon Shaq not being in any frames.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think the whitewashing is that bad. Aren't human populations in like Denmark less diverse than the US?
because tHERE'S NO REPRESENTATION OF OTHER RACES

okay first of all, Denmark did have black people in it, even if it wasn't too many

second of all, whitewashing leads to movies like this where we have white people playing egyptians[/url] because god forbid any other race besides the whites can be in a movie

Elsa said:
Baby Luigi said:
because tHERE'S NO REPRESENTATION OF OTHER RACES

okay first of all, Denmark did have black people in it, even if it wasn't too many

second of all, whitewashing leads to movies like this where we have white people playing egyptians[/url] because god forbid any other race besides the whites can be in a movie

Maybe today, but I don't think in the time frame this was supposed to be aired in has much as today. I dunno, I'm not a historian, so I don't know if there are other non-white people living in that time frame in Denmark.

But your example is actually just plain stupid. I don't mean your post, I meant the movie is stupid.

i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that there were black people in denmark at the time

besides, you can see black people in the background at one scene, so Disney acknowledged their existence in the setting; they just didn't get any characters

I don't see why they should force racial diversity in a story that's supposed to be based off a fairy tale. If they're going for being representative of the historical setting, then they should implement racial diversity. Otherwise, getting worked up over ethnicity in these movies is a bit over analyzing.

Races haven't even crossed my mind throughout the entire movie.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Exactly. Because your mind has been programmed by media to not care if the only people in a movie are white. But news flash, Disney made up pretty much the whole movie, which also means that they had every opportunity to include persons of color. Plus, as I've pointed out, they did have PoC's in the background, which means it was a deliberate move to not give any of them a speaking role. And by the way? There isn't really a concrete time period established in the movie, either.

im more curious as to why it matters

its not like disney is going for accuracy here

because people other than whites should be able to have a role in movies...?

and because, quite simply, it perpetuates racisim...?

I get racial diversity and stuff, but I don't think they should be including a person of a different race JUST TO INCLUDE A PERSON OF A DIFFERENCE RACE.

Really, I don't think it matters in this day in age.

The character's personality's are what matter. I don't care if they're all white, black, a mix, or whatever.

Elsa said:
Exactly. Because your mind has been programmed by media to not care if the only people in a movie are white. But news flash, Disney made up pretty much the whole movie, which also means that they had every opportunity to include persons of color. Plus, as I've pointed out, they did have PoC's in the background, which means it was a deliberate move to not give any of them a speaking role. And by the way? There isn't really a concrete time period established in the movie, either.

I'm not as exposed to the media as any of you guys, though. It's not that I don't care; I just find race to be a nonissue, and I focus on rather the character's personality. If it was a movie that is supposed to be based on a real life event, I'd wonder where is some racial diversity. This movie, again, is based on a fairy tale. I don't know if they deliberately suppressed speaking roles of other races, but Disney shouldn't be forced to give speaking roles just to please some politically-correct viewers.

I don't exactly what character that have a speaking role should have his or her race changed either without making it look forced.

By the way, speaking of races, there need to be more representation of people that have a mixed race.

Elsa said:

I feel like this is injecting "political-correctness" in a movie based on a Christian Andersen fairy tale. I wouldn't be so bothered by it, honestly.

Olaf said:
I get racial diversity and stuff, but I don't think they should be including a person of a different race JUST TO INCLUDE A PERSON OF A DIFFERENCE RACE.

The character's personality's are what matter. I don't care if they're all white, black, a mix, or whatever.

This is basically my opinion. Unless it's supposed to be historically accurate (I would condemn movie makers portraying mostly whites in a predominantly Asian setting with Asian characters)

Elsa said:

its not even a big deal, i mean its not like there arent movies in the world that doesnt have other races

besides if it was implying racism, there would be like, ya know, actual racist comments.

overall it just sounds like people are over reacting to something this small

This movie, again, is based on a fairy tale. I don't know if they deliberately suppressed speaking roles of other races, but Disney shouldn't be forced to give speaking roles just to please some politically-correct viewers.
So what, fairy tales can only be about white people now?

The fact of the matter is, there is still racism. And if companies just continue on their merry way without anyone pointing out their racism, then you won't see PoC's unless you're trying to perpetuate racism with your Token Sassy Black Person.
Olaf said:

In this day and age? What's so different now? Have we finally achieved equality among all races? Because, quite frankly, that's not true, and you'd be blind to think so. It's hard to find people of color in movies that aren't being played for laughs. Sure, some movies are firmly rooted in their locations, but a lot don't have that excuse, and even those that do work around it.

You say Disney has to abide by historical accuracy? Look at The Princess and the Frog. Was New Orleans segregated in the 1920s? Hell no, but that didn't stop princess from having a black "princess" anyway. Does that make the movie awful now? Can you not watch it because the movie doesn't accurately reflect the time period?

And again - "It doesn't matter in this day and age"? What, now that blacks have equal opportunities as whites (fun fact: they don't), does that mean we can just stop representing them and go back to giving the whites all roles?
Princess Zae said:
Elsa said:

its not even a big deal, i mean its not like there arent movies in the world that doesnt have other races
but they aren't common, and when they do have them, most are just played for laughs
Princess Zae said:
Elsa said:

besides if it was implying racism, there would be like, ya know, actual racist comments.
no. it's simply racist in and of itself to not have anyone but white actors, because that's, you know, excluding?
Princess Zae said:
Elsa said:

overall it just sounds like people are over reacting to something this small
it'd be small if it was just one movie, but it's perpetuated everywhere.

a quick search found me this post, which is better worded than mine. tbh, the only animated movies in the past 10 years that I can think of that contain PoC's that aren't played for laughs are maybe The Incredibles and The Princess and the Frog? i'm not really a movie-goer, so there's almost certainly more... probably. but it's still a problem

well have fun complaining about it, more then likely no one will do anything about it other then whine people to death.

Elsa said:

The fact of the matter is, there is still racism. And if companies just continue on their merry way without anyone pointing out their racism, then you won't see PoC's unless you're trying to perpetuate racism with your Token Sassy Black Person.
I have never said that we should promote racism. My argument isn't that being a fairy tale excuses companies to be racist. My argument is that you should be more critical of racial representation on movies that strive to be historically accurate. This movie's priority is to tell a fantastical story about two loving sisters separated by an uncontrollable power.

Elsa said:
In this day and age? What's so different now? Have we finally achieved equality among all races? Because, quite frankly, that's not true, and you'd be blind to think so. It's hard to find people of color in movies that aren't being played for laughs. Sure, some movies are firmly rooted in their locations, but a lot don't have that excuse, and even those that do work around it.

You say Disney has to abide by historical accuracy? Look at The Princess and the Frog. Was New Orleans segregated in the 1920s? Hell no, but that didn't stop princess from having a black "princess" anyway. Does that make the movie awful now? Can you not watch it because the movie doesn't accurately reflect the time period?

And again - "It doesn't matter in this day and age"? What, now that blacks have equal opportunities as whites (fun fact: they don't), does that mean we can just stop representing them and go back to giving the whites all roles?

Disney never really adhered to historical accuracy (it doesn't excuse it in any form; their depiction of Native Americans in Pocahontas is deplorable). I never watched the Princess and the Frog (shame on me), but I do agree that it is a step forward to include blacks and women to have leading roles.

But again, this argument is on the verge of injecting political correctness in movies that should be otherwise simply enjoyed for its plot, characters, and visuals.

Princess Zae said:
well have fun complaining about it, more then likely no one will do anything about it other then whine people to death.
so what, am i just supposed to sit back and let this continue? if enough people were to actually care, then we'd actually accomplish something, but it's hard for someone to feel the need to get out of their chair to do anything if it involves helping someone else

Elsa said:

I have never said that we should promote racism. My argument isn't that being a fairy tale excuses companies to be racist. My argument is that you should be more critical of racial representation on movies that strive to be historically accurate. This movie's priority is to tell a fantastical story about two loving sisters separated by an uncontrollable power.
and I agree that Frozen is a fantastical story about two loving sisters separated by a (somewhat) uncontrollable power!

but the fact of the matter is, it wouldn't have hurt disney in the slightest to put in just one PoC character. and while i think the movie is still very enjoyable, all i'm saying is that it's wrong for disney to have an exclusively white cast, regardless of historical accuracy. that's simply not fair
But again, this argument is on the verge of injecting political correctness in movies that should be otherwise simply enjoyed for its plot, characters, and visuals.
But here's a stumper for you: would there be anything wrong about injecting political correctness? would that really hurt so much? it would make so many people happy, and again, it wouldn't hurt the movie at all (unless people decide not to see the movie because they don't like black people. but it's not important to cater to racist people)

so what, am i just supposed to sit back and let this continue? if enough people were to actually care, then we'd actually accomplish something, but it's hard for someone to feel the need to get out of their chair to do anything if it involves helping someone else

and thats why its pointless to complain about it.

You're just making it hard on yourself if no one is willing to do anything in the first place, world is way too lazy for that crap.

Princess Zae said:

and thats why its pointless to complain about it.

You're just making it hard on yourself if no one is willing to do anything in the first place, world is way too lazy for that crap.
well, if you want to go on not caring if other people are upset, good for you. but i'm going to do my best to help them and make them feel better and at least try to protest

i mean, what would have happened if during world war 2 people just went "oh well, we're not personally being oppressed, so why bother doing anything?"

a lot more people would have died

Elsa said:
i mean, what would have happened if during world war 2 people just went "oh well, we're not personally being oppressed, so why bother doing anything?"

yeah but people were willing to do something, and i mean a lot of people.

Now its like every issue today is met with "meh ill just sit here".

Its like how people want to change their government but do nothing to do so other then complain.

I admit, I'm striving to be politically correct a lot. For instance, my feathers get ruffled when people say "animal" in very derogatory way, e.g. "They are treated like animals", "humans and animals". I hate it when people call people that are handicapped "the handicapped" "the blind" "invalid" "the retarded" as if they're not human. "Indian" being used instead of "Native American" bothers me.

There is nothing wrong about trying to be fair and equal, but being bothered by something I believe is ultimately trivial is going to get in the way of enjoying things. I don't think whenever the movie includes speaking roles for a variety of races is going to affect is critic score (unlike in historically accurate movies), so in the end, it's just a minor detail that shouldn't be nit-picked. Maybe it would be nice to include a few roles for other ethnicity, but if it's to the point where it's going to be forced, don't bother.

Princess Zae said:
Elsa said:

Its like how people want to change their government but do nothing to do so other then complain.
and you think that it was always that a lot of people were willing to do something?

someone had to be the first to try and save a life, to speak out against the nazis. do you think they were comfortable doing that? speaking out against this huge power, something that they could die for? they probably did die for it, but people continued speaking out anyway.

so what's stopping you from speaking out, something you can do without any threat of injury, oppression, or death?

"Indian" being used instead of "Native American" bothers me.
i'm pretty sure i've heard somewhere that they prefer to be called Indians, but i can't validate that for myself
There is nothing wrong about trying to be fair and equal, but being bothered by something I believe is ultimately trivial is going to get in the way of enjoying things. I don't think whenever the movie includes speaking roles for a variety of races is going to affect is critic score (unlike in historically accurate movies), so in the end, it's just a minor detail that shouldn't be nit-picked. Maybe it would be nice to include a few roles for other ethnicity, but if it's to the point where it's going to be forced, don't bother.
but that's the thing! it's not getting in my way of enjoying it. i love frozen, but i am still speaking out against its whitewashing!
as you say, including roles of people other than whites wouldn't hurt the critic score at all. so why not? why is it that people just default to white people?

now, imagine this. what if the movie only had male characters? what if it was about two charming princes who tried to overcome an uncontrollable power? now, if that was the case, you'd hear a lot about how the movie is sexist for not include women.

but would the make the movie a bad movie?

and you would speak out against it?

Elsa said:
Princess Zae said:
Elsa said:

and you think that it was always that a lot of people were willing to do something?

someone had to be the first to try and save a life, to speak out against the nazis. do you think they were comfortable doing that? speaking out against this huge power, something that they could die for? they probably did die for it, but people continued speaking out anyway.

so what's stopping you from speaking out, something you can do without any threat of injury, oppression, or death?

one person wont make the difference, a lot of people need to agree on the same subject and stand up.

Its why we think we are stronger in number then just one person, sure one person can influence, but one person alone not result in a drastic change.

Besides words do not matter, action dictates whether something will change or not, so you can whine and moan all you want, but until you and a group of people take action, nothing will be done.

Plus no one is going to listen to me anyway, no one listens to a person that lives in fear and doesnt even trust his own people, rather then a person that is brave and will face his own fears despite the odds.

Back