frozen misrepresentation

Re: disney misrepresentation

so? i used to be a racist, sexist, demeaning person. guess what? people corrected me, i saw people talk about how there were problems with society, and now i try my best to avoid these wrongdoings.

anyway, you missed my point. my point is that someone has to be the first person to make a stand, and you have to start out small. a million people protesting aren't going to pop out of nowhere. but there is in fact a large amount of people protesting this right now, so you should join them!

i'll be back later

Elsa said:
so? i used to be a racist, sexist, demeaning person. guess what? people corrected me, i saw people talk about how there were problems with society, and now i try my best to avoid these wrongdoings.

anyway, you missed my point. my point is that someone has to be the first person to make a stand, and you have to start out small. a million people protesting aren't going to pop out of nowhere. but there is in fact a large amount of people protesting this right now, so you should join them!

i'll be back later

sorry but not gonna happen, until i can become stable anyway.

I'm way too unreliable right now.

nabber, probably the most concerning thing in this thread is how you thought it would be good to compare a scenario involving fucking world war ii to under-representation in a disney movie

even if this is disappointing/bad, you can't possibly tell me that it's comparable to a scenario where people would have died in a war because of the apparent logic that went into this

Elsa said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
"Indian" being used instead of "Native American" bothers me.
i'm pretty sure i've heard somewhere that they prefer to be called Indians, but i can't validate that for myself
It's not even right to put all Native Americans into one blanket group. Native Americans have so many diverse groups, so it's best to call them by what they are: Cherokee, Navajo, Crow, and so on. I don't like "Indians" because it's incorrect and it can lead to ambiguity (actual Indians are from India).

Elsa said:
There is nothing wrong about trying to be fair and equal, but being bothered by something I believe is ultimately trivial is going to get in the way of enjoying things. I don't think whenever the movie includes speaking roles for a variety of races is going to affect is critic score (unlike in historically accurate movies), so in the end, it's just a minor detail that shouldn't be nit-picked. Maybe it would be nice to include a few roles for other ethnicity, but if it's to the point where it's going to be forced, don't bother.
but that's the thing! it's not getting in my way of enjoying it. i love frozen, but i am still speaking out against its whitewashing!
as you say, including roles of people other than whites wouldn't hurt the critic score at all. so why not? why is it that people just default to white people?

now, imagine this. what if the movie only had male characters? what if it was about two charming princes who tried to overcome an uncontrollable power? now, if that was the case, you'd hear a lot about how the movie is sexist for not include women.

but would the make the movie a bad movie?

and you would speak out against it?

One reason the movie is praised is because having female protagonists that are relateable and set the course for the story rather than being a plot device is uncommon compared to male representation. If it were male, this praise would disappear, making the movie have maybe a lower score, but I don't think it will be criticized for having male protagonists. Having male protagonists does not directly link to a lower score.

But I think female protagonists are chosen because they're probably more fitting in this plot. I can't pinpoint why, but there is something about it that would make it a better choice to have women.

Usagi Tsukino said:
nabber, probably the most concerning thing in this thread is how you thought it would be good to compare a scenario involving fucking world war ii to under-representation in a disney movie

even if this is disappointing/bad, you can't possibly tell me that it's comparable to a scenario where people would have died in a war because of the apparent logic that went into this
I'm not trying to say they're comparable at all. I just use extreme examples to get my point across, because they're the most effective. Is underrepresentation in the media anywhere near as bad as the death of tens of millions of people? Of course not. And I apologize for implying that they are. I'm just trying to point out that speaking out can go a long way.

I split this topic from the Frozen thread because you guys got really carried away. Keep it civil or this will be locked.

Elsa said:
Usagi Tsukino said:

I'm not trying to say they're comparable at all. I just use extreme examples to get my point across, because they're the most effective. Is underrepresentation in the media anywhere near as bad as the death of tens of millions of people? Of course not. And I apologize for implying that they are. I'm just trying to point out that speaking out can go a long way.

Extreme examples are not needed. You're going way too far with this. You really need to chill down.

It's a very white movie, and yeah, they should try for more equal treatment. But I don't see how this movie is making everything racist and stuff and discriminating against other races. And I'm sure that we can name a ton of movies that have the same thing happen. If they want to be historically accurate, then yes, there weren't many black people in Denmark. You didn't have to basically call LGM ignorant just because she focuses on the personality and not the skin tone.

This is like you jumping on my in chat the other day when I was talking about the storeowner at the one scene and hearing people say that he may or may not be gay. You were being rude to me, and when I said "It's not like I don't think that he is, or that I would be against it", and you were said "you were implying it", basically calling me a homophobe just because of me talking about a scene in the movie and what others thought about it.

You just really need to call down. There is no reason to bring WWII in this argument.

I don't think its that bad an issue
its not like disney is doing it on purpose, it just happened that way

I personally think disney has been getting better with diversity in recent years, and more respectful in general

racial representation isn't something that affects my enjoyment of their movies so i don't care too much about it tbh

though i'm not opposed to a more diverse representation

One reason the movie is praised is because having female protagonists that are relateable and set the course for the story rather than being a plot device is uncommon compared to male representation. If it were male, this praise would disappear, making the movie have maybe a lower score, but I don't think it will be criticized for having male protagonists. Having male protagonists does not directly link to a lower score.

But I think female protagonists are chosen because they're probably more fitting in this plot. I can't pinpoint why, but there is something about it that would make it a better choice to have women.
If the movie had male leads, then theoretically, it would make no difference in the quality of the movie. But, as you said, the movie is being praised because it has deep female characters, something that is not common in most movies today. That is also something I really like about this movie. Similarly, it would be nice to have a movie with a person(s) of color in the main cast. It's not the most common thing, so it would be nice.
Michell said:
I don't think its that bad an issue
its not like disney is doing it on purpose, it just happened that way

I personally think disney has been getting better with diversity in recent years, and more respectful in general
Yes, I agree. Disney has had some very diverse movies in the past twenty or so years. I want to remind people that all I'm saying is this particular movie does not have a diverse cast. I'm not saying Disney has been doing a bad job, I'm just pointing out that this movie is flawed in that way.

Lario said:
Oh wow. I thought I was safe from this here.

Remember where you are. Here, no one is safe from anything.

allow me to repost the image i posted in the main frozen thread
47a.png

also i don't think that movies should be mandated to have characters of every nationality/skin color because not every country/universe is as blended as the united states (and other countries home to multiple nationalities) are. to expect them to be just as culturally blended is dumb.

there are plenty of movies out there with awesome black protagonists/characters, even in major series such as star wars (samuel l. jackson is so awesome). heck, you can't accuse disney of whitewashing when they took nick fury (who was white in the actual marvel comics) and cast samuel l. jackson in his role.

although technically that's marvel and not just disney. w/e

well nick fury is actually black in a alternate universe.

so there are two nick fury's. One is white, one is black, but lol

Thrawn said:
i was under the impression that they added the alternate nick fury after casting samuel l. jackson as him

nah, it was before if i remember correctly.

Although they did have a black nick fury in avengers earths greatest heroes, which things in that show has resemblances after the avengers and the rest of marvel's cinematic universe.

Hotaru Tomoe said:
wikipedia said:
His character was redesigned to look like Samuel L. Jackson, the actor who later went on to portray Nick Fury in several Marvel movies set in the established Marvel Cinematic Universe
oh okay

regardless, it shows that marvel/disney is clearly not just whitewashing their stuff, so my point still stands

your move, nabber

Thrawn said:
Hotaru Tomoe said:
wikipedia said:
His character was redesigned to look like Samuel L. Jackson, the actor who later went on to portray Nick Fury in several Marvel movies set in the established Marvel Cinematic Universe
oh okay

regardless, it shows that marvel/disney is clearly not just whitewashing their stuff, so my point still stands

your move, nabber
as i've stated multiple times, i'm only pointing out that this particular movie suffers from whitewashing, not all of disney

as i've stated already, i'm very proud of the movies they've been producing and the diversity in them

as for those who say that there aren't any PoC in Denmark,
tWuik1l.png

it's not the clearest but that's definitely 2 colored people and there are a few more in the scene

so yes, disney put in colored characters, no, they did not get lines, no, i do not think disney has been bad about diversity in the past few years, and that's pretty much that

not much, really

bmb pointed out that there wasn't a lot of racial diversity, i agreed with him, and then people were saying how racial diversity in general wasn't really important, so i protested about that

Back