Your Mario Kart 8 Retro Track Predictions/Wants - DLC Pack 2

Re: Your Mario Kart 8 Retro Track Predictions/Wants

Lies make Baby Jesus cry.

i sure dont like the game

jesus knows that well

fantanoice said:
You guys totally completely missed the point of Yoshi Valley. The idea is that the more difficult pathways are shorter, so it creates this really interesting risk-reward factor that no other course in the series really has. Plus the question marks gave it this extra charm that meant you didn't know what placing you were (though technically you could always find out by slipping on something and seeing where you were on the map).

It's a long drop to the bottom because it's a valley. :b Though after DD, the recovery times have been shorter so you probably won't need to worry about that. I'll admit that can be a little unforgiving.
It's the horrible controls that make me ultimately despise the course. Once we get better controls once it's remade, there is little reason to take the extremely long paths. This course is unforgiving in higher difficulties, especially with the game mechanics. You can bump slightly into a heavyweight and spin to your doom. And once you find a reasonably fast and short path, you'll stick to it. For me, it's left turn, right turn into the bridge, avoid porcupines, sharp left turn, finish the track. Aside from the porcupines, it's safe.

There are some pathways that are shorter, but in remade games, since the controls are better, there is only one path people will take.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
fantanoice said:
You guys totally completely missed the point of Yoshi Valley. The idea is that the more difficult pathways are shorter, so it creates this really interesting risk-reward factor that no other course in the series really has. Plus the question marks gave it this extra charm that meant you didn't know what placing you were (though technically you could always find out by slipping on something and seeing where you were on the map).

It's a long drop to the bottom because it's a valley. :b Though after DD, the recovery times have been shorter so you probably won't need to worry about that. I'll admit that can be a little unforgiving.
It's the horrible controls that make me ultimately despise the course. Once we get better controls once it's remade, there is little reason to take the extremely long paths. This course is unforgiving in higher difficulties, especially with the game mechanics. You can bump slightly into a heavyweight and spin to your doom. And once you find a reasonably fast and short path, you'll stick to it. For me, it's left turn, right turn into the bridge, avoid porcupines, sharp left turn, finish the track. Aside from the porcupines, it's safe.

There are some pathways that are shorter, but in remade games, since the controls are better, there is only one path people will take.

I take the same path. I'm not worried, though. I'm sure they'll find a way to balance the course somehow. It's coming back someday anyway. Maybe not for 8, maybe for 9, but it will be back eventually. The same with the rest of the courses. That until the glorious day when they'll run out of tracks from older games and they'll have no option but to have every single track be brand new :)

Hypochondriac Mario said:
fantanoice said:

What's wrong with experienced players taking the faster route? That's kinda the point. It's not as bad as having one shortcut in a course that everybody takes, because at least this course has that risk-reward factor with each path.

Though I'd like to see it refined a bit so that the narrow path actually *is* the shortest path because that makes more sense than one of the middle ones being shortest, because all you have to worry about there are some porcupines which definitely aren't as nasty as falling off the course.

It's kinda hard to criticise the controls considering they were suitable for the time. They are obviously pretty dated now because they've been refined with each iteration.

Another thing I want is the game to have a great online mode like Mario Kart Wii did. And I hope they keep those asshole hackers who ruin the game for everyone out of sight.

Oh, and I also hope that the game still runs at 60 FPS when four people are playing, and not at 30. Because the Wii U is powerful enough to support that, right?

... Right?

Anser said:
I take the same path. I'm not worried, though. I'm sure they'll find a way to balance the course somehow. It's coming back someday anyway. Maybe not for 8, maybe for 9, but it will be back eventually. The same with the rest of the courses. That until the glorious day when they'll run out of tracks from older games and they'll have no option but to have every single track be brand new :)
That'll never happen considering that 16 new tracks are introduced every game so they'll always have 16 to be reused

Anser said:
... Right?

Hell no it's not the PS4
I certainly think so, after seeing what the Wi U is actually capable of at Wind Waker HD and SM3DW.

Anser said:
Another thing I want is the game to have a great online mode like Mario Kart Wii did. And I hope they keep those *bleep* hackers who ruin the game for everyone out of sight.
With the exception of Wuhu Mountain Loop the hackers were, IMO, worse in MKW than MK7.

But considering Wuhu Mountain Loop is boring as *bleep*, the game was better when the glitch was there so it would be over in half the time.

Thermidor 2 said:
Anser said:
That'll never happen considering that 16 new tracks are introduced every game so they'll always have 16 to be reused

Yes, but at one point, they'll only be reusing tracks from the most recent games, because they're almost out of N64 and Gamecube tracks. If I want to play a bunch of Mario Kart Wii courses, I might as well just play Mario Kart Wii. I don't know, I just don't understand why people want to keep seeing old tracks over and over again. Don't you think it's better to have such a copious amount of tracks, but all new?? Or is it just me? :S

It may because they like to see old tracks with better graphics and with Mario Kart 7 they got to experience tracks they (possibly) liked with new game mechanics.

Anser said:
Yes, but at one point, they'll only be reusing tracks from the most recent games, because they're almost out of N64 and Gamecube tracks. If I want to play a bunch of Mario Kart Wii courses, I might as well just play Mario Kart Wii. I don't know, I just don't understand why people want to keep seeing old tracks over and over again. Don't you think it's better to have such a copious amount of tracks, but all new?? Or is it just me? :S

I want to see Baby Luigi drive in the older tracks.

That's why I want old tracks

And some tracks work hand in hand with the mechanics of the newer games.

I mean, Mario Kart 8 and Wario Colosseum needs to happen, for example. With the gravity that track would be amazing.

Also, I want to see some Super Circuit tracks in 3D

Anser said:
Thermidor 2 said:
Anser said:

Or could they just keep reusing popular tracks although I'd rather them make more new tracks rather then recreate older ones

Refrigerator Kirby said:
Anser said:
Thermidor 2 said:
Anser said:

Or could they just keep reusing popular tracks although I'd rather them make more new tracks rather then recreate older ones

Exactly, me too. I'd rather have new tracks.

fantanoice said:
With the exception of Wuhu Mountain Loop the hackers were, IMO, worse in MKW than MK7.

That's because hackers are nonexistent in Mario Kart 7

I guess I used the term hackers synonymously with cheaters so thanks for pointing out the mistake. Though I think I've heard of hacking cases in MK7, they're just far less frequent than MKW.

Gene said:
Anser said:
... Right?

Hell no it's not the PS4
I certainly think so, after seeing what the Wi U is actually capable of at Wind Waker HD and SM3DW.

Wind Waker HD is not a good example. That game does lag from time to time.

While I still think it's unlikely that this would happen since the development team will likely want to move on to other projects once Mario Kart 8 has been released excluding patches to fix major issues I think more than 16 retro tracks can be included through DLC, as awesome it would be to see the entire series done in HD, that would probably result in potentially lost sales of VC games and more recent games like Wii and 7, so I think DLC could be used to include only the best of the series that couldn't be included in the vanilla game, such as those that were already retro tracks in the three previous installments, maybe bumping up the number the total number of tracks in the game to 40 - 48, so tracks like Baby Park, Choco Mountain and such could definitely be possible, as well as evening out the number of tracks returning from specific games, so that just one track returning from one game doesn't happen again.

It's an idea that could work, depending on how much time the development team wants to put into remaking tracks from older games.

That's one of the things I've been saying for a long time. Why has it taken them so long to increase the total number of tracks? Hell, even the awful Super Circuit beat the 32 mark! We have a semi-powerful console, so make it happen, Nintendo! Add, I don't know, 4 more cups or something. Personally I'd like it if they increased the number of tracks in each cup to 5 again like the original Super Mario Kart, but I'll be fine with 4. 12 cups with 4 races each, 48 tracks! That would be cool. In Mario Kart Wii sometimes I just stop playing because I already played all 32 tracks and get bored of them quickly. Yes, I know that a lot of space is occupied by all the graphical details, codes, models, online mode, sound effects, etc, but if Brawl, a game for the weak Wii could manage having such a humongous amount of data, I don't see how Mario Kart can't do that too.

1-Up Mushroom Cup, Ice Flower Cup, Shine Sprite Cup, Rainbow Cup (not made by retro Rainbow Roads; that idea is awful), I don't know, you name it, Nintendo, but please give us more tracks for this game, not just 32 :(

Dracomon said:
But 32 is tradition. Breaking tradition is like, a no no.
Part of the reason I suggested it be DLC.

Dracomon said:
But 32 is tradition. Breaking tradition is like, a no no.
Back in my day we had 16 tracks and we liked it.

Back