Hand holding and spoonfeeding

chillv

9-Volt must be my video game counterpart.
If you don't know what either of these are, let me explain. Hand holding is when a game is very linient on the player or tries excessively hard to make sure the player knows everything. Examples of handholding are forced tutorials, the Super Guide, characters giving you captain obvious information etc. Spoonfeeding is when a game gives a player an excessive amount of content right from the get go or very easily.

Now, I was exposed to both of these at a very young age so I am basically spoiled by them meaning that I am going to be talking in favor of them.

Well, handholding doesn't bother me at all. Especially if it's just short dialogue that can be skipped very easily. Stuff like the Super Guide I don't have a problem with at all. In my opinion, it prevents unnecessary frustration if a player just isn't enjoying the challenge of a certain level or just wants to get it over with. Also, they stuff like the Super Guide are completely optional. In fact, I don't see why people are having a problem with the fact that "other people", especially kids, are playing the game certain way they aren't (using the super guide). If those kids are having fun playing through the game because they can do something about a difficult level instead of throwing tandrums because they can't beat a level (like I did as a little), shouldn't you be happy? Would you rather those kids be crying and screaming because they can't beat a level and can't do anything about it?

As for spoonfeeeding, most games don't really do this. However, I don't really like when games simply do the opposite and basically lock away everything from you if it really doesn't need to, especially if they make you do ridiculous tasks to unlock something so simple. People can say that it makes a game last longer and makes you feel like you earned something, but it just seems like a cheap way to extend replay value and just a chore to begin with.

I know that some games that spoonfeed, I can, so to speak, "refuse the spoon", but zi hate how the temptation is there, and I hate that feeling.

difficultly of a game does not affect my enjoyment of it whatsoever

I find some "easy games" fun and I find some "hard games"

I think all tutorials should be skippable, so that'd get rid of the forced ones

Using guide from zelda dungeon on Majora's Mask all times. This game is confusing and fun at same time. I just beaten this game 3 hours ago for first time.

sometimes they are helpful, mainly for learning the basic controls of the games, and then later on in case you get stuck/confused

I understand the idea of handholding, however sometimes I find it goes out of hand, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Whoa, just found the accidental pun.

I'm not a fan of the Super Guide. I think it's just kinda cheap.

Baby Luigi said:

Would you judge me if I said that I used the Super Guide to play through most of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, including the last level and I used the Shiny Tanuki Suit for a level in 3D Land?

chillv said:
Baby Luigi said:

Would you judge me if I said that I used the Super Guide to play through most of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, including the last level and I used the Shiny Tanuki Suit for a level in 3D Land?

No. I'm not that much of a judgmental person (at least I think I'm not). It's your choice to play with the Super Guide. It's just my personal opinion on it; don't take it personally.

Starfox Adventures is a game that you could beat in less than a week because it's very easy to figure stuff out. There's an option in the pause screen that gives you mostly obvious hints on what to do next

dont really care for super guide

dont like playing on easy either

but there plenty of ways to simply bypass or ignore it anyway, so i dont care when it all comes down to it.

If I made Super Guide, I would just show the outcome, not how to do it. The player can work that out for themselves.

Giga12 said:
If I made Super Guide, I would just show the outcome, not how to do it. The player can work that out for themselves.
I'm confuzzled here, by outcome do you mean the exit? Because the outcome is what you get from it, and showing the player a door isn't particularly helpful

In the case of Super Guide, it means I have to reset when it shows up because it tarnishes my stars later on. That's why I despise it.

If it's optional hand-holding that won't hinder me regardless of whether I accept it or not, then I don't mind.

However, I do find it funny how people say that back in the day games were harder and you couldn't do anything about it but deal with it and keep playing

Oh really?....

Apparently these people don't know that cheat codes and game enhancers existed back then, which could absolutely take all challenge out a game altogether.

cheat codes do that regardless lmao

plus cheat codes were rather secretive

Princess Zae said:

When Nintendo Power started, I believe they gave away cheat codes for games and also guides too. Also, cheat code books existed as well.

Either way, it still proves them wrong that there was NOTHING they could do about the difficulty of a game. They had way more options than we have now. In fact, most games don't even have cheat codes nowadays.

chillv said:
Princess Zae said:

When Nintendo Power started, I believe they gave away cheat codes for games and also guides too. Also, cheat code books existed as well.

Either way, it still proves them wrong.

sorta

cheat codes are optional and i never had nintendo power or any gaming magazine back then

Princess Zae said:
cheat codes are optional

And that is one is one reason why I don't see why people complain about the Super Guide and Shiny Tanuki Suit. They are optional. I do get complaints about them stopping your stars from sparkling, but I don't see why would someone would get mad because people use a feature in a game, for the exact reason it was meant to be made for.

chillv said:
Princess Zae said:
cheat codes are optional

And that is one is one reason why I don't see why people complain about the Super Guide and Shiny Tanuki Suit. They are optional. I do get complaints about them stopping your stars from sparkling, but I don't see why would someone would get mad because people use a feature in a game, for the exact reason it was meant to be made for.

because things like super guide are just there in your face i guess

moral of the story the large population of gamers aren't very smart.

yeah the game says "SUPER GUIDE OMG" but it never tells you about cheats.

i like the idea of super guide

it means they can make the game as hard as they want without the risk of someone getting frustrated and bored because they can't beat it. people who want harder games ought to love this idea

Shoutmon said:

it means they can make the game as hard as they want without the risk of someone getting frustrated and bored because they can't beat it. people who want harder games ought to love this idea
true, it allows them to make it harder without fearing complaint

but at the same time, I don't see why someone who's stuck couldn't just look up a walk through

Deception said:
Shoutmon said:

true, it allows them to make it harder without fearing complaint

but at the same time, I don't see why someone who's stuck couldn't just look up a walk through

Mario is not really a game you can look up a guide for and find out how to beat a level, especially if it is the 2D ones since it is based a lot on timing, precision platforming and you OWN skills. In fact, I think that can apply to all platforming games. The feel that the only use of a guide for a platformer is if you need help finding secrets, where you need to go etc., but getting past a level requires your own personal skill that you will need to apply yourself.

For example, I looked up a video on how to beat champions road. However, it only helped me find what I need to bring with me to tackle the level and a few strategies for certain parts. However, I had to apply all of that by myself since I could easily mess up on of the strategies I found in the video.

The super guide simply let's you bypass doing all of that. The shiny tanuki suit makes it how you don't have to apply any skills since you are invincible and can stay in the air longer.

Also, I wonder why people never complained about the fact that you can play as nabbit in NSLU in Singleplayer mode. Is it because it is a cheat code (secret)?

Back