Hand holding and spoonfeeding

Shoutmon said:
i like the idea of super guide

it means they can make the game as hard as they want without the risk of someone getting frustrated and bored because they can't beat it. people who want harder games ought to love this idea
My problem with Super Guide is that it takes away the experience of figuring it out for yourself. When I learned to play video games, I might have had a few tips from relatives and friends, but it's always more fun (or at least to me) if you can work it out by yourself. In doing so, you can also pick up on tricks of your own that make completing the game easier. Thinking your way through a problem is half the fun, to me.

I guess it's good for those people who want to easy games where they don't have to think, but those people should go play smartphone games or something.

if someone wants to figure a game out on their own they can just not use the super guide

and nintendo definitely cant afford to be saying "if you're this kind of consumer we don't want you, go play angry birds"

Dr. Javelin said:
Shoutmon said:

it means they can make the game as hard as they want without the risk of someone getting frustrated and bored because they can't beat it. people who want harder games ought to love this idea
My problem with Super Guide is that it takes away the experience of figuring it out for yourself. When I learned to play video games, I might have had a few tips from relatives and friends, but it's always more fun (or at least to me) if you can work it out by yourself. In doing so, you can also pick up on tricks of your own that make completing the game easier. Thinking your way through a problem is half the fun, to me.

I guess it's good for those people who want to easy games where they don't have to think, but those people should go play smartphone games or something.

But what if they don't and want to play real games?

Anyway, the Super Guide and stuff really exist because Nintendo is going for that "everyone" demographic. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion, why should real gaming only be accessible to us gamers while others have to put up with crappy tablet games with ridiculous amounts of microtransactions? Why not give them the opportunity to jump on the bandwagon with us and experience some real games?

However, I really don't like the way the handholder feature in Sonic Lost World. If you die enough times, an assist capsule will appear, and you can grab it to skip to the next checkpoint. I don't like the placement of these capsules. They are either put in an area where you are forced to run into it, or in a place in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable that you are likely to accidentally run into it.

Shoutmon said:
if someone wants to figure a game out on their own they can just not use the super guide

and nintendo definitely cant afford to be saying "if you're this kind of consumer we don't want you, go play angry birds"

This basically sums up what I was trying to say earlier

Shoutmon said:

well i mean of course it's in the company's best interest to appeal to those consumers

but it's in those consumers' best interest to buy cheaper games that are easier to figure out

Shoutmon said:
it's really not
Yeah, like I said. Most of those games are very bad. For example, I'm pretty sure if a person like that plays a real sonic game, they are most likely to abandon games like Temple Run and Sonic Dash.Also, if they play Mario or any other real platformer, they are most likely to abandon those cheap and unoriginal platforming games on iOS.

yes, the fact that none of us are them is the point. they're a diverse group of people who have varied processes for deciding which things to spend their money on, so for anyone here to say that its in the best interest of all of them to do something is illogical. the value of entertainment products is highly subjective, and some people just wouldnt get as much value (by which i mean entertainment value per unit currency spent, if you want to be pedantic) out of a smart phone game as they would from mario, regardless of how much easier the former would be than the latter

chillv said:
Deception said:
Shoutmon said:

true, it allows them to make it harder without fearing complaint

but at the same time, I don't see why someone who's stuck couldn't just look up a walk through

Mario is not really a game you can look up a guide for and find out how to beat a level, especially if it is the 2D ones since it is based a lot on timing, precision platforming and you OWN skills. In fact, I think that can apply to all platforming games. The feel that the only use of a guide for a platformer is if you need help finding secrets, where you need to go etc., but getting past a level requires your own personal skill that you will need to apply yourself.

For example, I looked up a video on how to beat champions road. However, it only helped me find what I need to bring with me to tackle the level and a few strategies for certain parts. However, I had to apply all of that by myself since I could easily mess up on of the strategies I found in the video.

The super guide simply let's you bypass doing all of that. The shiny tanuki suit makes it how you don't have to apply any skills since you are invincible and can stay in the air longer.

Also, I wonder why people never complained about the fact that you can play as nabbit in NSLU in Singleplayer mode. Is it because it is a cheat code (secret)?

well to be honest its not mario games that need skill, its platformers.

Platformers are almost all skilled based, i mean lets just look at megaman games, they're hard as balls usually, you cant really grind or get gear to make it easier, or anything(well you can get health tanks or whatever but its still pointless if you have no skill at the game).

But yeah and i hear people hate nabbit a lot because its just a bit excessive, not that im surprised. A shit character thats boring as hell to play as.

Princess Zae said:
But yeah and i hear people hate nabbit a lot because its just a bit excessive, not that im surprised. A *bleep* character thats boring as hell to play as.

LeftyGreenMario would like to hear this

But seriously, its immune to everything except pits, lava, and getting crushed? What, is Nintendo now fully supporting the AR?

nabbit is broken
he should have just been a thing you could use for 1 level per world

Marcus said:
nabbit is broken

He's like a permanent white Tanooki Tail.

Honestly, Nintendo, it would have been a lot easier to just leave Mario in and add cheat codes for Mario.

Baby Luigi said:
Marcus said:
nabbit is broken

He's like a permanent white Tanooki Tail.

Honestly, Nintendo, it would have been a lot easier to just leave Mario in and add cheat codes for Mario.
i really agree

Thank goodness it is

Back