Rare wanted to make Donkey Kong Country 4

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
This is somewhat old, but I don't think it's been posted anywhere on here. DK Vine asked a bunch of questions to Rare's Time Stamper, who previously revealed that it was suggested internally to make Donkey Kong Country 4 for the Nintendo DS. However, the idea didn't get much traction and it (along with a sequel to Grunty's Revenge) were passed over in favor of making Diddy Kong Racing DS;

"[Our saying] 'We'd really like to make DKC4' was nothing more than that; what the team would've liked to have done. After finishing the DKC3 conversion, finally our engine was at a point where we could add objects/enemies easily, the player's handling felt decent, the art too - with no more horrendously washed out backgrounds, the level designer had a good feel from recreating the original trilogy's level layout, and we thought it'd be good to put that into a 2.5D sequel [on Nintendo DS]."

An original DKC game from Microsoft-era, pre-Kinect Rare is definitely an interesting case of what could have been. Do you think the team would've been able to make a worthy sequel, based on their contemporary works and the new content in the GBA DKC ports?

I think they would have been able to make a worthy sequel, yes.

Something tells me that this would've been better than Returns. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I thought that game was a disappointment.

Solar Blaze said:
Something tells me that this would've been better than Returns. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I thought that game was a disappointment.

you seem to be disappointed very easily.

UH..... my question is, is that meaningful? I do often say that we need news from Warioware and DK games, but I don't see this plan different from DKCR, no matter that title was good enough or not. Maybe King K. Rool would be more likely to return, but it doesn't mean he can't be in any upcoming WiiU titles (Tropical Freeze, Sochi Olympics... etc).

Or in their definition, DKC4 to the new DKC games is NSMB1 to NSMBWii, that means it's going to be a handheld title as they planned.

Dorayaki said:
UH..... my question is, is that meaningful? I do often say that we need news from Warioware and DK games, but I don't see this plan different from DKCR, no matter that title was good enough or not. Maybe King K. Rool would be more likely to return, but it doesn't mean he can't be in any upcoming WiiU titles (Tropical Freeze, Sochi Olympics... etc).

Or in their definition, DKC4 to the new DKC games is NSMB1 to NSMBWii, that means it's going to be a handheld title as they planned.

It's history. I don't know if it's meaningful, but it's like that Book of Useless information I occasionally take out and read. It's fun knowing some trivia.

Walkazo said:
DKC4 would've been so much more interesting than a remake of DiKR.

You mean a pretty crappy remake of DKR

Zae said:
you seem to be disappointed very easily.
I'm just not very easily impressed, that's all. I expected a lot more from a game that called itself "Donkey Kong Country Returns". To me, it seemed more like a Jungle Beat sequel.

The GBA Donkey Kong Country games were my first experiences with Donkey Kong games. At the time, I didn't even know they were ports, and I kept thinking "When is Donkey Kong Country 4 going to come out?" Only years later did I find out the sad truth.

I'd like a DKC4 that was more a sequel to 2 than 3. I did not much like DKC3.

Solar Blaze said:

I thought the same thing. Just seemed like a quick cashgrab on a successful franchise we hadn't seen in a while.

Types said:
The GBA Donkey Kong Country games were my first experiences with Donkey Kong games. At the time, I didn't even know they were ports, and I kept thinking "When is Donkey Kong Country 4 going to come out?" Only years later did I find out the sad truth.
Nintendo had once discontinued the so-called SMB titles too. I guess most consumers thought that Donkey Kong Country "Returns" already.
We're looking for continuation of platformers, but tht doesn't mean the series is dead if other games are still popping out.

Back