Character(/s) you would miss the most if they were cut

Which of these characters would you have the hardest time with knowing they're not playable in SSB4?

• Falco

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Wolf

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Meta Knight

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Ike

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Lucario

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • ROB

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Snake

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

SonicMario

Star Spirit
With the ever looming possibility that not everyone that was playable in Brawl will come back in SSB4. I thought I'd create this thread to express what characters out of the currently unconfirmed that have even a slight chance of being cut (The poll leaves out the original 12 and most of the Melee characters that made it into Brawl along with some Brawl newcomers that are fairly obvious that we're not going to lose like Diddy, Wario, and Pokemon Trainer. If however you believe for example Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, and even Yoshi have a sliver of possibility of being cut you may mention them if you really want to say how much you'd miss them on the unlikely chance they are cut). While this isn't the first time cuts have happened, the cuts from Brawl to SSB4 won't be nearly as smooth from Melee to Brawl's. Because other then Mewtwo, and a lesser extent Roy. Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Young Link (Who was essentially replaced by Toon Link anyway) were cuts more applauded then they were missed. But with Brawl's roster, there's literally no one in the roster that doesn't have some kind of popular backing to them. Even the ones that were once considered the most likely cut (Toon Link), had his share of fans that celebrated his return. There's absolutely no one in Brawl's roster who's cut would be received as positively as Pichu's or Dr. Mario's cut. And it's why cuts are more worrying this time around.

You will be able to vote multiple characters in this poll. You may even wish to vote on all the current characters on the poll if you're one will miss every single one of them.

FALCO

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Starfox representation being considered too big, Wolf representing a better secondary rep and less of a clone of Fox then Falco is.

Reasons why people would miss him: Cause while he was essentially a clone of Fox in Melee. He was a popular character, and he got at least some Luigification in Brawl. I also believe any character that has been in two games suddenly being cut in the chance for a 3rd would be a huge mistake.

WOLF

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Starfox representation again being too big, Falco having seniority for being in a previous game. Was low priority in Brawl.

Reasons why people would miss him: His attacks may have been still similar to Fox, but he definitely had a much different playstyle that differs more then with between Fox and Falco. His more aggressive nature also brought him over some fans I'm sure.

META KNIGHT

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Sakurai's modesty on the Kirby series. May want to bring it down to Kirby and Dedede. And (rather more stupidly) he was too broken in Brawl

Reasons why people would miss him: Being one of the best characters in Brawl I'm sure gained him a massive popularity in the game. Even with the controversy in where some tournaments just outright ban him from being used. I can't say him being cut would go over too well. People who think he should be cut because of how broken he was probably don't understand that they'll probably balance him much better this time around.

IKE

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Ike possibly being replaced for a reason they think Roy was cut. The popular lord at the time while Marth remains the one consistent rep for Fire Emblem.

Reasons why people would miss him: Ike's game was the first to go internationally. So believe me when saying he means quite a bit to the Fire Emblem franchise. Having someone like Chrom outright replace him might be devastating to Fire Emblem fans outside of Japan. And while not as huge as Mewtwo, there's still people who hope Roy can make his return in SSB4. Believe me, cutting Ike would result in a base even larger then that of Roy's.

LUCARIO

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Flavor of the month Pokemon. Possibly re-replaced by Mewtwo, the character he essentially "replaced" from Melee to Brawl. Wouldn't be the first time the newest gen rep was cut, as Pichu was a 2nd generation rep that was left in the wayside.

Reasons why people would miss him: While there's certainly some people still angry at his inclusion for "replacing" Mewtwo (Even if that's not entirely true). Even Mewtwo lovers can't deny that Lucario was overall a better fighter in Brawl then Mewtwo was in Melee. His gimmick of being stronger with his damage increase gave him much more uniqueness then just his moveset. Plus unlike Pichu, Lucario was a rep from the current generation at the time that actually was really popular. And Lucario even still has relevancy even today, again unlike Pichu. And there's plenty of people hoping that both Mewtwo and Lucario appears so that they have a basis for a rivalry in SSB4

LUCAS

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Ness has a lot of seniority over him if there is to be only one Earthbound rep

Reasons why people would miss him: Remember when everyone thought Ness was replaced by Lucas when the latter was confirmed? Well it seems there's signs pointing that now the shoe's on the other foot. Because Ness has been in all 3 games so far, there's some that don't think Earthbound should continue with 2 reps. So they think it should go back to Ness only. However, Lucas' game is considered by many the best out of the franchise. Lucas even having more personality and more of a tragic backstory compared to Ness (Ness was by all means just a normal kid that just happens to go on an adventure that leads him to fight nightmare fuel-inducing monsters like Giygas, Lucas loses his mother early on in Mother 3 and it just gets worse from there.) I also assume he's still fairly popular in Japan, the place Mother 3 was released to that didn't require a fanmade translation ROM just to get it to the US. I do believe that the roster is just not the same without either of these Psychic kids.

ROB

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Really strange addition to Brawl. Was a big part of the story mode, but there's no Story Mode like Subspace in SSB4. Could be considered essentially the Subspace rep as a result, and thus without it, he can't be in future games

Reasons why people would miss him: Whether or not you liked Brawl's story mode. You have to admit ROB had a quirky moveset that made him work well with the Brawl cast. You could also say he's a big part of Nintendo's history then some people may think. ROB was made during the Video Game Crash in the Early 1980's. Nintendo made him to disguise him as a toy to sell more NES consoles by having Gyromite and Stack Up as available games for him. ROB's actual impact on bringing the industry out of the crash is debatable as some point more towards the first Super Mario Bros. and/or Duck Hunt that really brought Video Games back in the spotlight. But nevertheless, ROB is part of Nintendo's history and he worked well as Brawl's WTF character. Which Mr. Game and Watch filled in Melee, and to a lesser extent Ness in SSB64

SNAKE

Reasons people have brought up for him to be cut: Two words- 3rd Party. Nintendo might not have been able to receive permission from Konami again, or Hideo Kojima is satisfied enough with Snake having been in Brawl. There's also no Metal Gear Solid game on the Wii U coming up (MGS3 however did get a remake on the 3DS). While there is one for competing consoles. Could be replaced by Pac-Man for the 3rd 3rd Party spot. Is probably the most out-of-place character in the Franchise's history.

Reasons why people would miss him: This just really depends if you were a fan of Nintendo bringing in 3rd parties in the first place. People who think the series should of remained Nintendo purely won't miss him at all. But those who love the fact 3rd parties are now a possibility should remember that without Snake, none of this would of been possible. Without Snake, Sonic likely would not have made it into Brawl. And neither would Megaman get into SSB4. The series would of likely remained Nintendo characters only had Kojima never begged Sakurai for the chance. The fact that Sonic's already confirmed brings this to the limelight. Since Sonic's confirmation debunks that 3rd parties are purely guests. If Snake is not in the game while Sonic is, I believe it's a bit bittersweet. As neither Sonic or Megaman would of had any chance had Snake not opened that Window. Whether you like the fact 3rd parties are available to Smash now, or whether you think Snake is out of place or not. He's had a tremendous impact on the franchise from the moment of his part of the 2006 E3 Trailer. I dare say that's probably still the most shocking reveal the series has ever had. I don't even think Megaman's reveal in the previous E3 can compare, we all knew he was the 2nd most requested 3rd Party behind Sonic. And while a lot of people jumped for joy for his inclusion, it didn't have the shock value of Snake's reveal back in 2006 since of course at the time, Smash Bros. was known for being Nintendo only. You can argue that Snake also had his place in Brawl that truly made it stand out compared to it's previous games. Snake's humor in the codec calls were hilarious with the way he'd talk about Zero Suit Samus, his reactions to hearing about many of the weird abilities many Nintendo characters have, and yes the quip about Sonic too. While licensing and the fact MGS doesn't have much of a future on Nintendo consoles would be reasons to keep Snake out this time. It still would be a shame to see such a character that came in to leave such a big impact that will forever be remembered by Smash Bros. fans everywhere and someone with an interesting playstyle just not able to come back for the next game. You could say how much he is out-of-place, but really… is there such thing as an out of place in Smash Bros? Especially if there's literally no character in the game whose cut would be mainly positively received?

If you believe I should put other characters on the poll, leave a reason why some people may believe they could be cut and also reasons why they'd be missed. I just put the eight characters who are the most suspect for possible cuts. Anyone else I believe have strong reasons to believe they're not really suspect as these are or they are already confirmed.

Note: I believe most of these characters have some degree of safety to them. So if any of these 8 are your favorites to play as and you're upset that they're even in this list. Don't take it personally. I'd love it if none of these 8 were cut and they all safely made it into SSB4 just fine. So don't think I'm actually wanting any of these characters cut.

I actually quote using R.O.B, his moveset was quite quirky, and I do use him, even if he's not one of my mains.

I would miss Meta Knight, Ike, and Lucario. I used to use Meta Knight a lot, but not anymore, but he was still great. Ike is one of my little brother's main (along with Kirby), so that would be sad to see go, and Lucario is my sister's main, so sad for the same reason as Ike.

Might as well said what I voted myself: I went with Falco and Snake

Falco because it's just really dumb to have anyone who's been in half the games already and not appear another time.

And Snake... well you may notice that the "Reasons why people would miss him" is the longest. Because I pretty much said why I and probably many others will miss him if he's gone right there. And I'm not even a MGS fan, this is just what Smash Bros. does to me. It makes me care about characters that I have not played much of their series yet I've become a fan of their character (To bring another example: Ness) because they've left an impact on the series. I'm not saying it just because without Snake, Sonic would have never been in the franchise. The way he was introduced into the series was shocking. I feel that Brawl would not have felt the same without him, and I'm kinda feeling now... especially that Sonic's been confirmed to debunk the whole "3rd Party are only guests" rule. That the same would be said for the future games of the franchise, licensing troubles my foot.

It's just a bit sadder in that there is a good chance that Snake won't be returning.

ROB and Snake are 2 of my 3 mains, so I'm pretty bummed that they don't have much of a chance of making it in again.

On the other hand, I'd be overjoyed if Meta Knight got cut. Nothing worse than joining an online match with 3 Meta Knights.

Types said:
On the other hand, I'd be overjoyed if Meta Knight got cut. Nothing worse than joining an online match with 3 Meta Knights.

Can we try to have not much else of this? If you want to talk about characters you'd miss the least, feel free to make a counterpart topic to this one that's the opposite of what this is asking. Not here.

Falco, Ike, and Lucario as I really enjoy using them; the first is my Melee main.

Also Meta Knight because cutting him would be a really dumb move IMO. Though I really don't think he's going anywhere.

Though I'd prefer if no one at all was cut this time around.

I prefer if no characters get cut

Don't worry, Meta Knight's not going anywhere. Kirby is a big franchise and needs three or four representatives. He was also on that whiteboard drawing shown a long time ago.

Baby Luigi said:

Plus, all characters from Melee return. There is really no great reason for cutting anyone, right?

pretty much all in that poll but lucario.

I'm not exactly great with them but i do enjoy using them. Would be a shame to see them go.

Wolf, Meta Knight, Ike, and Snake.

Wolf was like Fox and Falco except he was actually fun to play as, because his blaster move was cooler and... I don't know, his attacks just seemed more awesome.

Meta Knight will always be fun to play as. I don't think they should nerf him, except for taking down the priority on Mach Tornado and that barrel roll move a lot. Otherwise he was lots of fun to play as (and against).

Ike is awesome just because every time I played in a 4-player match I would use him just to smash people with his stupidly high knockback attacks.

Snake had a bunch of creative attacking patterns like grenades and mines and remote rockets. Although he could probably use a nerf on his tilt attacks. Those were OP.

I admire how Northern Verve pointed out many reasons why the characters would be cut and they look very logical. I personally want to cut a Marioverse character for another candidate, though it's could be very uncertain. I don't think Kirby representive would be cut, and I'd really love to see a female Kirby character get in.

Among all of them. I'd miss R.O.B. He failed to achieve in the market of robotics and artificial intelligence and becomes a historical term. His life is just miserable.

Baby Luigi said:
Good point, unfortunately we fail it. :-\

Dorayaki said:
I admire how Northern Verve pointed out many reasons why the characters would be cut and they look very logical.

Thank you, but I also take pride in saying on why that character would be missed then pointing out reasons why they might not make it this time.

I personally want to cut a Marioverse character for another candidate, though it's could be very uncertain.

The only Mario representatives left are Diddy and Wario in terms of the closest to being cut (The other is Yoshi, you have to be insane if you think there's any chance at all of Yoshi being cut)... name one good reason why either of those two would be cut. Because I don't see any reason to do so.

The only thing I think you could say if they had K. Rool replace Diddy or something. But Smash Bros. has always kinda followed Main Character first -> Sidekick Second -> Main Villain 3rd. Mario got Luigi in the very first SSB game, and Bowser followed in Melee.

I don't think Kirby representive would be cut, and I'd really love to see a female Kirby character get in.

I don't think any Kirby characters will be cut either. It's just if it were between Dedede and Meta Knight. And Sakurai's modesty really falls through, Meta Knight would be the first to go. I however definitely think he's one of the more likely to return.

Yoshi and Wario are among the few characters in the "Marioverse" to get a series of their own, making them two of the more important and popular characters there, moreso than basically every Mario character not already in Smash. As for Diddy Kong, he's DK's secondary character, the series is extremely likely to get three reps, and with the series' high popularity, along with both Dixie and K. Rool both being highly requested characters, four DK characters is a possibility. So the way I see it none of them have any real chance of getting removed.

Back