Super Mario Manga

Is this ITT: Post French now?

The question is: Why are they doing this now, after all these years?

Maybe they just realized how popular it is or something.

Once English is there, I'm going to miss the old name. I wonder if Super Mario: Manga Adventures WILL be the English name?

Oh, don't worry about your French, I think Glowsquid has good French (and I think I'm okay, although I do have a native French speaker from France in my household).

We could have Cirdec translate

Yeaaah my french sucks as well, so somebody else has to get information out of these :/

well, given somebody uploads scans or buys the books themselves.

Yeah, I hope that will come soon. I'm itching to find what's inside.

Yeah, I often understate things! I'm not sure how different Canadian French is from Europe French, but it's still most likely comprehensible.

tbh, if you know someone's a native speaker, it's kinda patronizing to make comments about how good they are at their own language (especially if you're not fluent yourself), and if you didn't know, it's a mistake, not an understatement.

Afaik, it's like British and American English: different pronunciations and vocab, and some syntax business, but unless you're being excessively slangy, they're mutually understandable. (And even then, iirc it's easier for Quebecers to understand Euro French than the other way around, like Kansai-ben and Tokyo/standard Japanese.)

Oh, I apologize, I didn't intend to sound patronizing, but I'm probably just getting myself nervous over the smallest things.

No worries. And I know the feeling: I'm ALWAYS worrying about little things. I'll have grey hair before I'm 30 at this rate...

Thanks. I've been mulling myself over that small comment for a few hours now.

But I hope I can be some help in the wiki. I just need to get it from Amazon France (I do think my mom has an account there, so when I have time and money, I'll try my best to wrangle a volume or two; information is information anyhow).

Hehllo, Baby Luigi here again. Got another Super Mario-Kun manga based on Partners in Time I'd like to share dudes. This time, it's volume 35.

Some things I'd like to say:

-Mario uses Luigi as a weapon to fight the Junior Shrooboid.
-The Mario Bros. fights a Snoozorb as one of their first enemies
-The adult Mario Bros. defeat the Snoozorb with their Bros. Ball move. Yes another Bros. Field move is used as an attack.
-Baby Luigi spinning his hammer around like a crazed doofus is how the Baby Mario Bros. got inspiration for the Baby Drill, not the L33t Hammer Br0z.
-In fact, the L33t Hamm3r Br0z don't even appear at all. Toadsworth the Younger appears to be the guy who gives the Mario Bros. equipment, including hammers.
-Baby Luigi freaks out and cries a lot. He also seems to be Baby Mario's unwilling partner.
-Baby Mario tosses eggplants and onigiris at Shroobs. He does this weird attack with some dragonball-like ball things until he gets zapped by Shroobs
-Speaking of the Shroobs, it seems like they actually speak in a coherent language from the start.
-I think the Mario Bros. find Stuffwell on his own rather than being given to them by E. Gadd

Here's some excerpts I scanned would appreciate if they are translated (just would want to confirm if the Shroobs speak in a coherent language at the start or if there are any catches to it)

0A44n4n.jpg

M4KMXlV.jpg

May upload more

Ooof, fun! No time to translate it right now, unfortunately, but Princess Shroob is indeed speaking perfect Japanese there. She likes to end sentences in "wa" (and "wa yo") a lot, which is a very feminine way of speaking (like, if it were English, she'd be speaking with a real fake super-sweetness - think Dolores Umbridge).

Obtained another volume of the Super Mario-Kun. It's the end of the Partners in Time arc and the beginning of the Super Paper Mario one. It has some Galaxy stuff in there.

So yeah, some notes i'd like to say

-The Elder Princess Shroob and regular Princess Shroob are literally seen together. The Elder Princess Shroob also speaks coherently.
-The four Bros. all combine into a single Bros. Ball as an attack.
-As the Elder Princess Shroob goes in her second form, it goes back to the present, with Baby Peach and the two Toadsworths
-They get attacked by Shroobsworth and a Shroob Intern
-E. Gadd lends Baby Peach Perry (that parasol from Super Princess Peach, even says the name of it so I can confirm it) to kill them
-When the Elder Princess Shroob constricts them, the babies cry. She hates it and she lets go of them.
-A Rainbow Shell thing defeats both of the Shroob Princesses and turns them into Mushrooms
-There's that nice heart-warming ending where the adult Bros. leave
-Well, it almost ends. Baby Bowser eats that Shroob Mushroom. Instead of Bowser.
-It seems to be like another battle, but Baby Bowser just excretes it and everything is normal again.

-The Super Paper Mario arc beings. Dunno what is going on due to me not having to play that game.
-Francis isn't drawn geometrically, he's drawn with curves and stuff. Pretty interesting. Some Paper characters are drawn with curves as well. Some are drawn as they appear in the game, namely Mimi and that purple secretary woman

So for the entire arc, seems like Bowser, Kylie Koopa, Toadbert, and Toadiko are missing, alongside several others, out of the at least important characters I can think about. Regardless the entire arc is a blast and I am happy to own all three Partners in Time comics!

Baby Luigi said:
Regardless the entire arc is a blast and I am happy to own all three Partners in Time comics!
I'm so jealous, haha.

But yeah, always really interesting to hear how they adapt and condense the RPGs. Cutting out Bowser and the other side characters to focus on the central cast definitely makes sense, as does linking to other games for more continuity. Seeing what they do with the Paper Mario character designs is also interesting too - like that pic you uploaded of Francis looks way different (File:SuperMarioKun v. 37 Francis.png), and I'd definitely be keen to see more, even those that don't change much. Like, are O'Chunks' arms still made of floating segments, etc.

I'll always be happy to upload character images from the Super Mario-Kun if you like ♪ ♪

In the volume I own, Dimentio, Count Bleck, Mimi, Fracktail, Nastasia, Merlee, Mr. L, and Brobot appear. I'll be happy to upload them if you like!

Here's O' Chunks

SuperMarioKun_v._37_O_Chunks.png

Oh yes please! Character art from the manga is always great to have for the wiki (and for personal interest). Yeah, O'Chunks is definitely regular flesh-and-blood-looking here. Count Bleck, Dimentio and Merlee don't have arms at all in the games, but now I'm wondering if they will here? I guess Nastasia and Mimi look like they do in the games because they don't have any freaky geometry that would need to be dealt with - but looks at them would still be appreciated. If Mimi transforms into her spider form, I'd also love to see the whole sequence.

Well heeeere you go

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Count_Bleck.png

He looks exactly as he is drawn. Including the lack of limbs.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Nastasia.png

She seems to be a bit light-hearted here. She breaks the fourth wall by holding a Super Mario-Kun volume (volume 37, the very book it takes place in), which causes Count Bleck to do that falling over thing (the facepalm of this manga) and reading from it. Her head also turns into an eggplant for some reason at one point.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Dimentio.png

Pretty much portrayed exactly as he was in the game. We know he mind controls Fracktail.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Thoreau.png

He seems to be annoyed at Mario, but he helps Mario defeat O' Chunks afterward.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Bestovius.png

Does he like own a shop or something? He doesn't seem to give Mario the flip ability from the pictures I see.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Fracktail.png

Looks more organic than his game carnation.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Merlee.png

Yes, she has arms, I saw her pointing and pushing something.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Mimi_Transformation.png

I really like the art in this manga. I really do. It's really awesome, and, even though I'm not sure if it's an accurate portrayal, it's still pretty great.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Barry.png

He informs Mario that Tippi has been snatched by Francis. I think he helps rescue Mario as well.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Mr._L.png

They keep mentioning Luigi's name when they're fighting him, and Bowser and Mario say he looks like Luigi when they first meet him. I think Mario tries to tell Mr. L to snap out of it but Mr. L of course probably denies it.

SuperMarioKun_v._37_Brobot.png

Yay Brobot. I think Mr. L summons it after overly negative memories of Mario. I think a Pure Heart saves Mario and Bowser and makes the Brobot go poof.

Very cool, thanks!

The Mimi transformation's neat - I like how they kept the gears in her head, and while it's lacking her head spinning around (instead she just shakes it or rips it in half?), but it's kinda funny how they had bits cracking and falling off instead, since that's something I always pictured happening if it was ever rendered less stylistically - guess I'm not the only one!

It sounds like Mario doesn't recognize Mr. L, like in the game, but could you perhaps upload the scan of Mario telling Mr, L to snap out of it, and/or any of the Luigi name drops? I'd like to confirm it either way.

incredibly sorry for the delay. things had been distracting me + hassle to use a scanner plus slow computer + relationship problems (to the point where my internet access is controlled)

here are the Luigi name drops and mario doing things

UgE4FkY.jpg

alUcIVL.jpg

QKm7H2O.jpg

No worries, I totally understand about tech / life delays.

Anyway, yeah, looks like Mario and Bowser definitely recognize that it's Luigi. Bowser's like "lol, what are you saying, Luigi" and Mario keeps urging him to remember, but he denies it. Tippi also seems to sense that Bleck's changed his energy, or something along those lines. I'll put a full translation of the pages on my (very long) to-do list, but in the meantime, it's already safe to say that the comic's not following the game on this one. (Kinda surprising since usually SM-kun is the silly humour one while SPM is all about the grimdark drama, lol.)

My copy of volume 3 of Super Mario: Manga Adventures just arrived in the mail today! I'm so excited to see its contents! I'm sure others who can understand French will too!

So, I figured out a few details regarding volume 3 of Super Mario: Manga Adventures

• Mario makes a reference to Doraemon when Yoshi tries introducing Mario and friends to "Drabon", French for Rex.
  • Buzzy Beetles are referred as "Blindule" rather than "Bruyinsecte", which is strange given that the manga is likely localized for France.
  • Mario can power-up a ball by throwing a Mushroom into it.
  • During a hot day, Yoshi takes off his skin. Mario quickly puts it back on, concerned that Yoshi's nudity will shock the manga's readers, but puts Yoshi's skin the wrong way; this is Super Mario Fact fodder. XD
  • The Mario Bros. goes underground and find a secret construction site that says "keep out". Nevertheless, they encounter Buzzy Beetle workers and their boss tells them that they're setting up a trap for "cet idiot de Mario" (this idiot Mario). Once Mario leaves, the boss realizes who he is talking to and attacks him, Luigi, and Yoshi. Methods of attack include using a mine-cart of Buzzy Beetles to run over them (the Buzzy Beetles fail), using a moving wall to crush them (it crushes Yoshi's skull, but doesn't harm the Mario brothers), and knocking them into quicksand (Yoshi eats it because he mistook it for sugar). The Buzzy Beetles succeed by pouring cement over the Mario Bros.. While Luigi tells Yoshi that the cement is apple sauce, Yoshi doesn't eat it, proclaiming that he dislikes apple sauce. The Buzzy Beetle boss invites Swoopers to suck their blood so he can obtain powers from them. He transforms into a hideous Mario-faced Buzzy Beetle monster that has Yoshi's appetite. Mario hits a block that releases a trail of coins leading to a 3-up Moon. Mario powers up and kicks the boss into a bunch of explosives, which then ends the chapter.
  • Four-panel comic: Mario and a Amazin' Flying Bro have a fight with each other. They then throw random things including a coat hanger and a hamburger and they then just make verbal exchanges (the flying bro: Camembert!; Mario: Ver de terre!).
  • Four-panel comic:Yoshi eats Cheep-Cheeps, but cannot digest their bones, so their skeletons attack Mario.
  • There is a chapter involving a baby Boo.
  • Four-panel comic: Mario is on a climbing fence thing. He uses a panel to go on the other side, but cannot go the other way. He is then put on display as if he is in a zoo (Animaux rares: MARIO)

I'll update tomorrow.

Back