Steven Universe

I started in the middle and bounced back and forth, just sorta picking out titles/summaries that looked interesting at first, and then trying to look at episodes focusing on one topic or another to learn more about it. Same way I watch Adventure Time, not counting the newest episodes which I generally watch as they come out.

I think one of the big reasons why Rose decided to have Steven is that she is absolutely fascinated with Earth and all life on it, enough to start a rebellion against her own people. On the video she left Steven she said something along the lines of "Every life on this planet has a unique experience, and I cannot wait for you to join them". To me it sounded kind of longingly. Like, she wanted to know what an experience like this was like, but as an ageless alien she could never fully understand it.

By essentially being reborn as Steven, she is able to live her dream, fully understand and experience humanity and being a part of the planet she loves.

I like that they gave Connie a badass upgrade. She's been a good character, but now she'll also be able to contribute to major battles. It also means that Stevonnie might have some serious combat viability now, as a possible amalgam of Connie's swordplay and Steven's array of defensive abilities, so we might see them return at some point.

Guys, that's episode was fucked up.

Garnet is literally the good of a fusion, being together because they love each other, and they want to be together. She is an enbodiment of their love. However, the homeworld not only took the fallen remains of some of her teammates from the war, but forced them to become "fusions" by combining basically all the limbs together as though they were trying to create a gem-based centipede. It's already horrific enough for Steven to see the end result of them all together, but for Garnet that must have been nightmare-fuel. To see what she is, but the homeworld using it for their experiments to basically try to recreate a gem from the fallen bits, in attempts to recreate living gems reborn like what Amythest is. This is such a disturbing thought, and seeing Garnet freaking out like she did where she almost unfused at the site is mortifying.

DragonFreak said:
Today's new episode is my favorite of season 2 so far.

Sworn to the Sword is still my favorite so far. But I just...there was a few things I need to re-watch from today's episode to let it fully sink in what just happened.

When Garnet is scared and crying, something is insanely wrong.

Well that was messed up.

Though I wonder why Peridot was trying to fuse all of those gems. Maybe an army of fusions?

My theory was that they were using the parts to see if they could regrow a new gem. Garment did say that the sum is greater than it's parts. Since Earth sounds like it's the first place to have lost gem control, they probably wanted to do experiments to see what they can do with dead gem parts.

So they leaked tonight's epsiode.

this was so beautiful. I love seeing GregxRose, but damn. When you thought that Pearl x Rose couldn't be more implied, you see rose just show up Greg and boom, Rainbow Quartz. Damn, when Pearl dropped the mic. There was so much implication, and Pearl was so jealous it was crazy.

And we got to see Stevonnie again. <3 sad to see Pearl realizing that her and Greg are not a phase.

2257 said:
daaamn pearl, so vindictive
qft

My only complaint is that the guitar drowned out the singing, noooo. (Or maybe my bro's laptop's speakers are just shit...)

Yeah, the "lost, defective pearl" line always stuck out to me too, not only because of the phrasing but because there's no way she'd know/remember Pearl personally. And the way Jasper looked down on the Gems, but seemed to have a more personal vendetta against Rose, makes me feel like how numerous Gems are varies. Like pearls and amethysts could be really common, while there's only a couple, or even only single versions of Rose and Jasper. Kinda like Brave New World, and tonnes of other media, I'm sure.

I also wonder if the position of the gem is meaningful to role. There's only so many places gem can go, really, and we've already seen doubling-up with the forehead placement between Pearl and Periodot - and they kinda strike me as a bit similar, being all about order, but also switching into manic mode when things are out of order, etc. So maybe forehead = brainy? I also wonder if Yellow Diamond is gonna have her Gem as the crown of her head, for an eerie bald woman look, and also as a crown allusion. The Yellow is also ominous: suggests there's more than one Diamond to worry about.

the fact that there's a pink diamond on the old temple implies that there might have been a fourth leader in addition to the rumoured yellow, white, and blue diamonds, and i think most are guessing that rose quartz was actually one of the leaders who defected to protect earth or something, which explains why the pink diamond is missing from the homeworld ship

Also, I just binge-watched the Steven Bomb 2.0 and man
was that Garnet episode deep. In contrast with the ronaldo episode before it just shows how varied this show can be and I love it. We Need to Talk topped it only just, Pearl dropping the mic was hilarious and the entire episode was simply wonderful. Greg's slowly becoming one of the better characters on the show imo (as is intended with these flashbacks but still). Connie becoming a main character seems only right as well.

edit: i forgot that there's still one more episode to go. HYPE

steven universe is probably the best cartoon on television for me rn

If you think about it, Steven actually kind of is something like a fusion between Greg and Rose. Genetically he is Greg, with Rose's gem, abilities, and part of her personality.

In fact, a couple having a child, i.e. two humans contributing their genetic identities to create a new liveform that is simultaneously both and neither of them, could kind of be seen as a distant equivalent to gem fusion.

So in the end they did manage to make it work. Sorta.

Oh Fusion: it's like a dozen metaphors all rolled up into one.

2257 said:
a lot of people think yellow diamond is the gem fighting rose in the mural here

latest

and then in peridot's ship there's this

HAM0Zbs.png

and in pearl's sky arena

latest

so yeah, it seems like there's at least three, maybe four diamonds
Is the mural from "Serious Steven"? I haven;t watch that one yet - will get around to it this weekend, if possible. I did see the other two, just didn't play close enough attention, clearly, although once you pointed it out, my thoughts immediately went to this:

GBAToad said:
the fact that there's a pink diamond on the old temple implies that there might have been a fourth leader in addition to the rumoured yellow, white, and blue diamonds, and i think most are guessing that rose quartz was actually one of the leaders who defected to protect earth or something, which explains why the pink diamond is missing from the homeworld ship

Yeah, Rose Quartz being the fourth one alongside Yellow Diamond, Blue Diamond and White Diamond (maybe - or maybe they're all different gems) would make a lot of sense. It could even explain why she's got a two-part name, unlike everyone else (I guess Lapis Lazuli is also two-parter, but it's not colour-gem, which always struck me as oddly specific with Rose's name). It also could tie into why her shield has a triangle, while her gem itself has a pentagon cut - another thing that's bugged me.

This show is so good and underrated. Defiantly one of my favorites out there. The music, the animation style, and the plot are all beautifully strung together. This show is one hell of a masterpiece.

Amethyst said:
Take a hike bee ehm bee.

This is not the MJ thread FE.

OMG THIS LAST EPISODE!!!

LAPIS! It was so great to see her again, especially with all that air time. I was confused for a minute as to why she was chained up, but then I realized that she was chained because she's acting as the weight holding up Jasper. And the way she said that she's using the ocean to help suppress Jasper (which makes me feel like she's at the lowest point in the ocean, that one trench), it's all reminding me of Atlas and the way he had to hold up the entire sky. And of course Jasper is super strong, but at least Lapis is stronger.

And then Pearl with that dream of Rose. I could not believe they did that. Basically the majority of this week's episode was just reinforcing the Rose x Pearl ship. When Rose turned her head and it was Greg, I was just dead. They literally made that sense one of the best scenes ever on that show. I loved how Steven and Amythest poked fun at it too and really made Pearl self-conscious.

Also, I have a theory as to something related to both Garnet and Lapis.

I was thinking about this earlier, and this latest episode kind of reassured what I was thinking. The way Garnet talks about Lapis makes me think that there was some bad chemistry there before. From what we learned in Ocean Gem, it sounds like Lapis may have been a Crystal Gem at one point, but seemed like she regretted that decision. In Mirror Gem, when Steven was talking with the Mirror, Garnet was the one that got up and was about to bubble that mirror, before Steven smacked her and ran away. When Lapis did come out of the mirror, Garnet was the one that yelled for Steven. Lapis was also the one that attacked Garnet out of the three of the Crystal Gems. When Ruby and Sapphire were split and Ruby was looking for Sapphire, they bump into Lapis, in which she had a strong distaste for Lapis (might have been for tattle-telling to homeworld though). And of course when the ship was crashing, Garnet was the one that said there was no time to go and save Lapis. And then in this episode when Steven tried to tell Garnet about his talk with Lapis, she just told him to worry about it later. And not to mention she talked about how Lapis could be destroyed already.

I mean, those are all probably just coincedences and might just be me overlooking, but for some reason I feel like there was so bad connection between Garnet and Lapis, maybe during the time of the war. Lapis had a strong resentment for the Cyrstal Gems, mainly because they didn't even wonder who she used to be, and just used her as a tool. We're not sure how Lapis ended up becoming that Mirror, but it seems that she blames the Crystal Gems for it. It makes me curious as to if Garnet was part of the reason that Lapis was put into that Mirror. Garnet might have realized that Lapis was starting to turn on them, and done away with her. She might have been trying to escape the planet to go warn homeworld about the war, which was probably why she was at the galaxy warp.

Again, just fan speculation. There are a lot of unknowns about the SU universe and we barely know anything about the main characters already. I do hope that we can get at least a background of how Lapis ended up in that Mirror. I just feel like Garnet and her have some negative thoughts about each other.

nuuu post conflict x 3

Anyway, the last episode of the Steven Bomb was p-cool.

Poor Lapis, tho. "We're malachite now" - nooooo. Yet another ugly side to Fusion. Garnet was right (as always) - they are not good for each other. Not good at all!

But Pearl's dream was pretty lol. At first I was worried they're hammering on the "Pearl is obsessed with Rose" point to the point of oversaturation, but then Rose turned into Greg and pizza oozed out of his mouth, and it was amazing. Plus, it occurred to me that maybe they knew to ease into the Rose x Pearl stuff, and now that it's been established without the censor boards being like "oh noes lezbianses", they can actually start working it in casually and for lolz instead of drama/oh-snaps, like in this episode.

In response to the Garnet and Lapis idea...

Lapis quite lucidly said she never believed in Earth, so I feel like she wouldn't've been part of Rose's "defend Earth" squad. The vibe I get from her is more like a civilian casualty that was cracked when the Crystal Gems rebelled and used to make the mirror by the Crystal Gem faction. She was surprised when Steven helped her, despite the fact that she was broken - but seeing as all the other broken gems on the planet get bubbled (or potentially turned into other tools we've yet to see), I can honestly see where she's coming from, feeling like they don't care about fallen gems, just about humans (although in "Keeping It Together", it's clear that they do care about the suffering and death they caused, thanks to Ruby and Sapphire's tearful conversation). But then she gets to the Homeworld and they have even less regard for Gem life: if the fusion experiments are any indication of what it's like, no wonder she was horrified about what the Homeworld's become.

Garnet's the leader and all about taking action, so it makes sense that she'd want to bubble the mirror, that Lapis would target her (either strategy or revenge), and that she'd make the call to protect themselves rather than running around the crashing ship to save Lapis. Meanwhile, Ruby only cared about finding Sapphire - she'd've probably been just as short even if it had been Pearl or Amethyst being difficult about the jailbreak.

It makes me wonder if Lapis was actually a slave or a prisoner during the war. From that line ("But I never believed in this place"), it sounds like she was forced to be apart of the war. I'm not sure which side(s), but it would explain Jasper's line: "How long did they keep you trapped here on this miserable hunk of rock". That coupled with the fact that she just wanted to go home when she was let out of the Mirror...

Ugh, now I'm getting really curious. It makes sense too. I mean, they found Lapis' mirror at the Galaxy Warp. It makes me feel like Lapis was trying to get back to the homeworld before she was placed in that mirror. Maybe the warp panels were broken, though I don't know why should wouldn't just fly back, but then again, we don't know how long her gem was broken...

What if she was a prisoner for the Crystal Gems? I mean, in Mirror Gem, Pearl even said "She's not supposed to do that, she's supposed to follow orders"? What if they found Lapis at the Galaxy Warp, with her gem broken, and spared her life, but kept her as a way to see what homeworld is like? Pearl said that she "found" it at the Galaxy Warp, but somehow she knew exactly how the mirror worked. The Crystal Gems are not perfect...

EDIT: Of course as I hit play on Jailbreak, Jasper says "they kept you prisoner, they used you". I think my Crystal Gem Prisoner theory may be rather validated.

Lapis Lazuli said:
*steven bomb 3 in july*
oh and i thought pearl was thirsty i am fucking dehydrated

thank you so much for fixing my vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn *pizza falls out of mouth*

god i laughed so hard at that bit, the timing was perfect

the sitcom scene was also brilliant and lapis' sudden appearance at the end of it certainly set the tone for the rest of the episode. not as nightmarish as keep it together but still pretty creepy. malachite's revival is gonna be spectacular

now that steven bomb 2 is over, the one thing i'm disappointed about is peridot, she didn't really get much screen time aside from when she was the crazy distraction for pearl and amethyst and hopefully steven bomb 3 addresses her and her mission a little bit more. other than that, i loved every bit of this week's episodes, they were all amazing

edit:
tumblr_nq8l4dX2C71smn4pqo1_540.jpg

asjdskghadgjasflhdafkdksfkl YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Neat! I was just wondering the other day if they'll have an Onyx gem, and then nope, they decide to go one up. Sounds kinda like a Fusion name, actually - very long and posh.

Back