Steven Universe

At Comic-Con they played an extended version of the theme song (starting off as a flashback), and it includes a first look at what everyone figures to be Yellow Diamond, plus other awesome stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2lkulMNbc

And they also gave a sneak peak showing Sardonyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJXnSJv7H0

Soooo hype

Walkazo said:
At Comic-Con they played an extended version of the theme song (starting off as a flashback), and it includes a first look at what everyone figures to be Yellow Diamond, plus other awesome stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2lkulMNbc

And they also gave a sneak peak showing Sardonyx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJXnSJv7H0

Soooo hype

That first one is so beautiful...to the point where I'm just amazed...

The second one also made me happy in so many ways.

ALSO!

That second video is NOT Sardonyx, it's Citrine.

Lapis Lazuli said:
That second video is NOT Sardonyx, it's Citrine.
You know that 'didyouknowstevenuniverse' thing (which is where the 'it's citrine' came from) is a joke account which makes convincing false 'did you knows' which people sometimes believe (like check the source on it, it goes to amethyst as pearl saying 'whomp whomp')
So yeah, it is Sardonyx

Plus, if you listen closely, she states her name at around the 1 min mark, just as the crowd cheering becomes quiet enough to hear the audio again: "...Sardonyx, coming to you-a live..."

Also, her hair shape reminds me of Peridot.

Walkazo said:
Plus, if you listen closely, she states her name at around the 1 min mark, just as the crowd cheering becomes quiet enough to hear the audio again: "...Sardonyx, coming to you-a live..."

I don't hear the Sardonyx thing.

And also the post that said it was Citrine was from a tumblr account that I believe was from one of the workers. If I'm wrong, whatever, but I remember it saying that they wouldn't show Sardonyx off that easy.

Lapis Lazuli said:
Walkazo said:

I don't hear the Sardonyx thing.

And also the post that said it was Citrine was from a tumblr account that I believe was from one of the workers. If I'm wrong, whatever, but I remember it saying that they wouldn't show Sardonyx off that easy.
No, that account is a troll account, trust me it is easily believable as the one about Sardonyx being in 'plain sight' blew up as well, plus all their posts are tagged with 'misinformation' its not from a worker as if you click the 'source' it just goes to this image
293ujk9.jpg

and here is the post itself if you want to check me on that: http://didyouknowstevenuniverse.tumblr.com/post/123754883885/source-x-it-seems-the-pearl-x-garnet-fusion#notelist

Sorry to double post, but...

Cry for Help - oh wow. Shit, that was kind of hard to watch. It just got so tense, and we got to see both Sardonyx and Sugilite, but just....

I want to know how it affects Garnet and Pearl in the later episodes, if they'll make up. That ending was just like "Oh hey, here's Pearl embarrassed and ashamed for what she did, and a Garnet that is completely pissed at Pearl for what she was doing and distracting her from their purpose". And then Amethyst being upset about feeling like whenever she fuses with people that she causes the problems...that adds more development to Amethyst.

This was an amazing episode, and I felt that it did a great job kind of connecting Coach Steven and making that episode more of a "realistic" one since in that episode we don't really get the feedback of how everyone felt about Sugilite and what happened with the signal tower.

That definitely was a strong start to the Stevenbomb, and I can't wait to see the rest of the week!!! <3

EDIT:

Spoon: "How could you lie to me?"
Pear: "I didn't mean to!"
Steven: "I forgive Pear, wouldn't you?"
Garnet: "..."

OMG!!!

I thought the song was a little shoehorned in tbh and the lampshade-handing at the end wasn't necessary either since the show's great about not wrapping things up neat and tidy in general and doesn't need to toot its own horn. But those quibbles aside, great episode! It really shows how Amethyst in particular has developed as a character,

seeing as she was upset and uneasy about the roll she had to play, rather than being all "oh boy, gonna take Pearl down a notch", which is what she would have been like in Season 1 - but here, instead of being vindictive, she went so far as to speak in Pearl's defence when Garnet (quite rightly) chewed her out. That's big. It was also interesting how Garnet was more matter-of-fact that Sugilite wasn't the best option (although I disagree: utter destruction > jenga, and while the berserk risk was more understandably concerning, it clearly didn't happen, and with Lion, it'd be much easier to keep Steven out of harm's way that time just in case anyway), but Amethyst took it way personally. I thought she was being excessively hard on herself at first, but the reveal that fusing with Garnet is a Big Deal explained a little why being rejected is a Big Deal too, and hence sparked her old inferiority complex to rear its ugly head again. Meanwhile, Pearl was being really stupid, which would seem OOC if other episodes hadn't made it clear that she's still reeling from losing Rose - and Rainbow Quartz: loneliness and desperation do indeed make you pretty dumb sometimes *insert dying of thirst joke*

Also, sidebar: since they're millenniums old, you'd think they'd already be properly mature, with good holds on who they are, rather than doing all this relatively rapid developing now (except Garnet - she's pretty stable in more ways than one, although she has gotten more talkative as the show goes on, methinks). Maybe it's because having Steven around is making changes happen, whereas before, with Rose, it was even and constant: even fighting monsters might have been easier back then since Rose was hella strong (going by her size, her weapons array, and her leader status (especially if she is indeed Yellow Diamond tier) - now passed to Garnet, the current strongest Crystal Gem). But now they gotta deal with losing her (Pearl especially), caring for Steven (i.e. Amethyst not being the baby of the family anymore is maybe why we're seeing her grow up as a person, especially compared to what she was like when Greg first met the Gems), and now handle Peridot and the Homeworld Gem threat on top of the routine monsters of the week.

omg guys!

[spoiler="Keystone Motel" spoilers - SERIOUSLY, don't read if you haven't watched it yet]Ruby and Sapphire, omgeeee! What a lovely surprise!

As soon as the tears started coming down the middle of Sapphire's face I was like, oh shit, she has one eye - and then the bangs parted, and she did. One big, buggy eye, and Ruby's like, "hell yes gimme some of that" and they're all cute and kissy and giggly while Steven's like "... :I". So much fun - although a bit sudden of an about face, imo; I guess justified a bit in how Steven's distress was a catalyst, but tbh his "is it my fault" was a bit out of the blue - this clearly had nothing to do with him, unlike the Pearl-Rose angst. Maybe it's to reflect how kids irrationally blame themselves for their parents fighting, idk, but whatever, I guess uneven pacing now and then is the downside of fitting so much into 11 minutes. The "my fault" part aside, tho, I really liked Steven's tirade about how awful it is having all the familial tension and awfulness surrounding him all the time: my parents have been fighting a lot recently, so I really feel for him. But on the other hand, I'm glad there's still no reconciliation at the end of the episode between Garnet and Pearl - it's still too soon. Multi-episode storyarcs ftw.

Also, I have to say, I really like Greg's reactions to everything too (including the perils of meeting Internet Men); it seems Garnet's unfused a few times over the years - which makes sense, since no real relationship doesn't have the odd fight; guess they just had a good run since Steven's been with them - or Garnet went off and unfused in private elsewhere, like she did here (at least, private from the other adult Gems, in this case).[/spoiler]

Also, the Keep Beach City Weird blog updated in light of yesterday's episode. Much lulz.

I really loved this episode. May already be one of my all-time favourites. I feel it just, like, balanced hilarious moments and emotional moments really well.

Great to see Ruby and Sapphire again, they're really fun to watch. "I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY!"

Greg's funny as usual. Glad he wasn't killed by an internet axe murderer.

2 episodes in and this Stevenbomb is already amazing, so
thumbup.gif

I JUST CAUGHT UP

i can't put it into words how much i love this show, it's just fantastic. the sardonyx reveal was spectacular and the ending of ep 1 has surely set us up for the rest of the week with pearl and garnet hopefully resolving their conflict by the end of stevenbomb 3

i love the second episode in particular for the way it handled the subject of fighting while in a relationship. even watching garnet's jittery hand movements as she sat down on the bed made me think that there'd be a bit of R/S fighting but not a complete SPLIT OMFG. the fire/ice thing felt a little cliche at first but it worked out gr8 in the end. sapphire's cool/deadpan attitude is amazing. "he's not gonna like that it's square" i fucking died

i have to agree with walkazo in that the show suffered from it's shortened time in regards to resolving ruby and sapphire's conflict, but i guess it was essential that they resolved garnet's issues in a single ep so that she and pearl can hopefully recover by the next episode. the little quips as ruby and sapphire forgave each other were embarrassingly adorable. i also love that ruby has a single gauntlet. i wonder if sapphire has the same?

greg universe once again continues to be one of my favourite characters as well. internet man hah

And just when the show can't get any gayer, it does.

Ruby and Sapphire! I started smiling in joy over it. Omg, they're like fire and ice - polar opposites that somehow work together. And then them making up was so adorable and cute and...omg, I can't take it! That episode was amazing, and I'm so glad that they are keeping the arc going. Since Amythest and Steven are visiting Onion tomorrow, I'm going to assume were going to get the next stage where they might be able to actually have a conversation. We shall see though. It'll probably be resolved by the last episode.

EDIT:

It's confirmed that this feud will last this entire week.

EDIT EDIT:

Onion has an obsession with Amethyst. Omg...

Garnet's emotional turmoil over what happened is understandable. Like, there's not only the trust issue with how Pearl outright lied to her, she also made a mockery of fusion by doing so, which would logically hit Garnet pretty hard since that's pretty much the core principle of her entire being. Having someone close to you mock the thing that you hold in the highest regard, that essentially defines who you feel you are, is a terrible experience, whether they know they're doing this to you or not.

Examining Pearl's behavior closer, there seems to be a fundamental difference in her idea and Garnet's idea of what fusion is. Like, both understand it represents a union. But for Garnet it is this beautiful, emotional, and very serious thing that allows two beings to grow beyond their separate limitations through trust and honesty, whereas Pearl seems to treat it more like a means to an end.

Whenever Pearl is involved in a fusion, there seems to be an ulterior motive somewhere in the background. When she became Rainbow Quartz, it was to one-up Greg. When she became Sardonyx, it eventually grew into her making herself feel good about herself but (unintentionally) at the expense of Garnet. And I guess it is also noteworthy that she can only become Opal when she absolutely has to (though her motives in those cases were a lot less questionable). It's clear that she realizes she's gone too far and her regret is genuine. But this whole thing seems to hint that Pearl has some underlying issues with her fusions.

This season is throwing a lot of different views on fusion at Garnet that conflict with her own understanding of it. It seems to be weighing on her, even creeping into her own fusion, to the point where it first threatened to separate her, and now even made her break in two for a while. I wonder if she is going to have to confront more of this down the road.

Onion Friend: a nice breather episode with plenty of lol moments.

And confirmations of the very obvious facts that Vidalia is Sour Cream and Onions' mom, and that Sour Creme was fathered by Marty, while Yellowtail is his step-dad. It's interesting that Vidalia and Amethyst were old friends (and Vidalia and Greg), but then drifted apart before she started seeing Yellowtail - which makes me wonder if Rose's end might've been the catalyst for Amethyst withdrawing from her human pal (and then that'd be the reason she and Greg stopped hanging out), assuming Onion's a couple years younger than Steven.

It makes sense that Amethyst would jump on the chance to get away from the temple and talk to an old friend, and it was sweet of Steven to put up with Onion a bit longer for her - glad he didn't regret it. Too bad Sour Cream wasn't in a social mood, but granted, three would be a crowd in the context of the episode.

Coincidentally, I fed my pet snake a white mouse last night. But it was frozen and then re-warmed since feeding live mice can be dangerous: they do bite back, after all.

Onion being creepy as ever, but this episode really just confirmed the Sour-Cream-Vidalia-Marty-Onion-Yellowtail connection and how their family works. Not to mention hearing Onion talk (albeit similar to his father).

And Amethyst leaving the temple to get away from the stress was nice, which I kind of expected since the title summary said something with Amethyst. And it was nice to see that Amethyst venting to Vidalia, and I do love the fact that there is someone that actually looks up to Amethyst and makes her feel good about herself and gives her a confidence boost that she so badly needs, especially lately.

This episode was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Also, found the perfect image to describe Rebecca Sugar when she's working on the show:

tumblr_nrjg5zYLFR1rxif0no8_400.png

Historic Friction

Pretty fun episode: reminded me of doing in-class plays, where "dying" involved crouching beneath a desk and then crawling away; fun times. As soon as the script said the guy became 50 feet tall, I knew it had to actually have been a fusion - probably the temple fusion seeing as we were only teased with a silhouette and not an actual appearance (and then artistic license/limitations is why she only had 4 arms), and the dialogue suggests she's a bit more civil than Alexandrite.

The "heroes make mistakes" speech was a bit heavy-handed, but I did like how Pearl was just sitting there staring despondently at the ceiling - I do that all the time when I'm upset over something. It was nice to see her out and doing stuff besides moping too. And totally denying Dewey's attempt to flirt, lol - that's the last thing she'd wanna deal with, although in the end he seemed a bit squicked to find out she's 200 years old...

But yeah, if Delmarva was only discovered two centuries previously, then there's definitely some seriously alt history going on there.

This episode was nice, with a good theme, and it had a couple interesting/funny moments.

However, regarded as a whole, I wasn't really feeling it. There was an examination of plot structure, with the explanation that a story without a struggle is not really interesting. Strangely enough this is something the episode itself seems to be missing. There was no actual struggle. The obstacle of this story was very easily overcome, with no repercussions or consequences coming from the decision to stand up for your vision in the face of censorship.

I might be a little spoilt, but I am usually very impressed with how this show is able to address very mature themes and portray them reasonably realistic. I felt this wasn't really the case here. A conflict like this does not resolve in that way in real life. If you defy the source of your funding, there will usually be a dispute. For me, the way the conflict just poofed away when the audience was "Yaaay!" took all the impact away from Jamie's decision to choose art over business.

I don't know, I guess I would have liked it better if Mayor Dewey wasn't swayed immediately by the positive reception, angrily confronted Jamie and Steven over their changes to the script, prompting the audience to stand up for the two, which changes his mind. That way you'd have the same outcome, but with more interplay between the different parties and a bit more weight to the conflict.

Mirror Gem and Ocean Gem were the first ones I watched too since I was curious about Lapis, but I wish I'd started with something else since they're pretty complex and benefit from being emotionally attached to the characters, and it wasn't until I watched a few more episodes that I was hooked. Giant Woman and shotgunning the Lion ones were what got me sucked in, and Steven the Sword Fighter's also a good intro episode imo. Or one could even do the radical thing and start with episodes 1-4, which don't suffer from the sort of weirdness that many early episodes of shows seem to have.

So, I assume Peridot is going to be just a head at the end of the series.

Somebody give Pearl a hug. She needs it.

Also, Peridot can fight? My mind is blown.

EDIT:
Actually, now that I think about it, the fusion probably already constitutes as a hug.

Peridot said:
Actually, now that I think about it, the fusion probably already constitutes as a hug.

Walkazo said:
Oh Fusion: it's like a dozen metaphors all rolled up into one.

Anyway, cool episode.

I loved Peridot's angry grumbling: it sounds like me dealing with my old computer - except the "don't know where anything is" part, which is me with my new computer at school (or when I'm at work after my boss reorganized without telling me). I like how Steven was so tuckered out by all the shields: he's definitely getting more adept at using his abilities, but he's still young and got a long way to go.

It's good that Peal and Garnet finally cleared the air a bit, rather than Garnet letting Pearl keep barking up the wrong tree by thinking/pretending that wasting time rather than hunting Peridot was what was wrong. Garnet's advice is sage as always, and while there's still no easy forgiveness (good), they still came to an understanding, and forming Sardonyx one last time was a good bookened to the story arc. Which overall, I really, really liked: I can identify with both Pearl and Garnet so much, it's crazy. I freakin' looove this show!

Also, I wonder if regular Pearls are kinda like Holo-Pearl, but smarter in how they go about following their orders - but still single-minded, probably. Her song said she "wasn't made for fighting", so maybe Pearls are more like servants to higher-ranking Gems, and then Pearl got attached beyond just the duty she was made to provide for Rose - and then Rose accepted her like a normal Gem, rather than a second-class citizen. And really, when you think about it, it really makes sense that Pearls are different, seeing as irl, they're not actually rocks: they're made by animals, and that's actually always bothered me about the show, but it's pretty clear that it's fully intentional now (even the biological connection in a meta way, because Rose loves organic life).

Back