Steven Universe

The rock formation apparently looks like SMW level designs? Anyway, it's totally not a ref, so I'm removing it.

Walkazo said:
The rock formation apparently looks like SMW level designs? Anyway, it's totally not a ref, so I'm removing it.

On second look, those hardly visible oval light effects are seen in Mario 3 and World, as clouds and mist. Still not a reference, but neat.

Does anybody know the update schedule of this show? Because it feels to me like it has been an eternity since the last episode.

Contra(dictory) said:
I caught up on this recently myself.

#LapisLazuliDidNothingWrong
I KNOW RIGHT?

And with this break in the schedule or whatever we're fucked. I wanna know what happens D:

I thought someone already mentioned Stevenbomb 2.0...?

Maybe it was Tumblr.

But yeah, 5 episodes in a row. One of them is said to have Ruby and Sapphire reappearing in them. (I think the one with Garnet's face on the calendar).

I'm betting the ? will be something related to the finale of the first season, meaning seeing one of the non-crystal gems again.

Most likely we'll see something to do with the Kindergarden and Peridot. That's probably where she's trying to get to. I think we won't see Malachite until like the midpoint of the season.

Lapis Lazuli said:
I'm betting the ? will be something related to the finale of the first season, meaning seeing one of the non-crystal gems again.

Most likely we'll see something to do with the Kindergarden and Peridot. That's probably where she's trying to get to. I think we won't see Malachite until like the midpoint of the season.
Yeah I think the ? is basically plot progression.

I've been out of this series since the break, hopefully these new episodes lure me back in.

Lyn said:
I've been out of this series since the break, hopefully these new episodes lure me back in.

Well, Season 2 hasn't really had that strong episode that a lot of the later Season 1 episodes had. It feels like just a lot of filler and a lot of focus on the secondary characters. I mean, I get that like 2 or 3 of those episodes from Season 2 were meant to be in Season 1, but other than a few, it's been rather lackluster imo. I'm sure that the rest of the season and stuff will be great, but definitely not much plot development for the main characters except for like 3 episodes so far.

Which is why I'm with Edo when he said:

Peridot said:
Ah, crud. A Ronaldo episode.

Yo Steven Universe fans, one of the mods of Equestria Daily (For that one Pony show, I'm sure you've never heard of it ;)) recently started a blog much like Equestria Daily for Steven Universe. It is thanks to Equestria Daily that FiM managed to spread as far as it has. I think this should be wonderful for Steven Universe to get more exposure.

So if you want to check it out, here's Beach City Bugle

Eri Ayase said:
Northern Verve said:
It is thanks to Equestria Daily that FiM managed to spread as far as it has.

That's still mainly 4chan's fault though.

Initially yes, but Equestria Daily kept things going. It pretty much became the hub center of the fandom.

That episode was amazing.

The new intro is amazing.

My god, I need to watch that again. I thought Rose's Scabbard was emotional...this topped that SO much.

So now that I'm able to type up some stuff, I think the latest episode actually has a very sad undertone to the already sadness that it held.

It's become quite apparent that Pearl loved Rose, and this episode showed that Pearl did everything she could to stop Rose from fighting in the war. We know that Pearl, when fueled, will not stop until someone/something finally snaps her back into reality, such as when she almost killed her and Steven in the spaceship, or almost getting to the point where Connie could have gotten mortal-ly wounded. The fact that she was fueled to protect Rose, even though she was constantly maimed to the point where she had to return to her gem, shows how much Rose meant to her. Pearl obviously could not bare the thought of Rose to be killed. She even made it obvious that Pearl was willing to die in battle just for Rose, just so that Rose could still be alive. Rose was Pearl's everything, and with this latest episode, we see that Rose made Pearl feel like someone special, and it's just...

It's really sad and depressing to think about the fact that even though they won and the war and Pearl was able to still be with Rose, Rose would sacrifice her life so that she could have Steven, because they both could not exist, and it's sad because Pearl was losing Rose, the person she loved so incredibly much. Like, this episode made you realize just how much pain Pearl must be over the fact that she couldn't do anything to stop Rose from doing what she was planning. In battle, she could sacrifice herself for Rose, but Rose was going to go based on something out of Pearl's control, and while Steven is basically Rose, it's just...

"Why would you let me do this for you, Rose" That line was just horrifying to hear, because we can only imagine just how many times Rose tried to knock sense that they are fighting together, and that Rose could die, and that Pearl should be okay with that. But we know that Pearl could only focus on what life would be like after the war. I mean, the song sung:

"On the battle field, where everything is chaos,
and you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy, and a sword
You just think about the life you'll have together, after the war
And then you do it for her"

Something tells me that the traditions of the gem world were causing issues. I know that it's been stated that the crystal gems should not be together as they are, and it makes me wonder if Pearls are supposed to be some sort of workers/servers to strong, important gems like Rose. Pearl obviously must have felt a strong connection with Rose, and Rose must have treated Pearl like an equal instead of just something worthless.

Like, the more you think about this, the more depressing it actually is. Rose played such a powerful role in Pearl's life, and now Rose is gone, and Pearl is stuck unable to fully move on from the fact that someone she has loved for god knows how long, who has done everything for her, and it's so sad. Pearl just wants to be with Rose, even if it was for a moment. She has Steven, but Steven is not Rose, at least not entirely.

This is how I feel about the episode:

11117641_1009594052391586_677114217_n.jpg

2257 said:
didnt tumblr recently shit its pants with fear that bronies were invading the steven universe fandom

i distinctly remember something like that happening

Yeah there was something like that. It was actually began BECAUSE one of the EqDaily mods (Username is Calpain) wanted to make a Equestria Daily-like site for Steven Universe. The whole controversy even had him cancel that plan for a while.

But looks like he recently got the courage to do it anyway. I'm personally glad, it just made the Tumblr fanbase of Steven Universe look terrible by pushing away likely other fans of Steven Universe that also happen to like FiM.

Lapis Lazuli said:
So now that I'm able to type up some stuff, I think the latest episode actually has a very sad undertone to the already sadness that it held.

Like, the more you think about this, the more depressing it actually is. Rose played such a powerful role in Pearl's life, and now Rose is gone, and Pearl is stuck unable to fully move on from the fact that someone she has loved for god knows how long, who has done everything for her, and it's so sad. Pearl just wants to be with Rose, even if it was for a moment. She has Steven, but Steven is not Rose, at least not entirely.
The loss of Rose is one of the heaviest aspects of the show, imo. It's like when a mother dies in childbirth - then the father's left with this kid, who they love as their kid, and who they love as all they have left of the mother, but also, sometimes, there's resentment. My mom knew a guy who's dad named him "Angel" because his mom died giving birth to him - a lifelong reminder for the whole family that she's gone because of him. How terrible is that?

And all the adults are in the same situation, especially Pearl who has to reconcile her love of Rose with her love for Steven. It reminds me of an earlier outburst, when she bitterly says to Steven that "[he] never even knew her" - that was definitely one of my biggest "whoa" moments of the series so far. She knows its not his fault and she doesn't blame him, but still, Rose is gone because of him, and she won't ever forget that.

Amethyst, on the other hand, has never shown anything but sisterly love for Steven and doesn't think of it as a Rose-or-Steven trade-off. Instead, it's Greg who she resents for taking Rose away. Which is kinda true: the Crystal Gems had each other for millenniums, then this short-lived human comes along and costs them their leader forever - it's not surprising that there's resentment there, and I'm frankly surprised that Pearl doesn't outright hate him, instead of just tolerating him for Steven's sake, which is the main vibe I get (whereas Amethyst resents him, but wishes she doesn't, since they used to be good friends).

Garnet understands, tho, and has no resentment over what happened to Rose. She understands love that goes beyond two individuals, so she doesn't think of the Greg as the hapless human who came along and ruined everything, but as Rose's true love, like Ruby and Sapphire are for each other, and Steven is the product of the love, like Garnet herself. She always seems to treat Greg the fairest of the three, and her relationship with Steven is special - it's hard to say how, but it's like, a deep, constant, unconditional love, and it's wonderful.

And Greg himself loves Steven completely and doesn't resent having him instead of Rose at all, although it's clear that he misses her, and may feel guilt on his own part about causing her to give up eternity, and losing the Crystal Gems their leader and friend. It's very interesting, and it actually makes me wonder if Steven was an accident they decided to keep (or had no choice but to keep), or something they planned knowing the consequences. Whether it was initially by choice or not, I kinda feel like maybe Rose knew that a human-Gem hybrid would be the only way to save Earth from the Homeworld Gems in the long run: she knew the Crystal Gems alone couldn't defend the planet forever, and "The Return/Jailbreak" proved she was exactly right, as Steven's uniqueness was the only way they escaped downed the ship, and his compassion was the only reason Lapis stopped Jasper. Not to say that Steven's a weapon or anything, of course - he's first and foremost their child, who they wants to have because of love. (Or whatever reason it is that people feel the need to have babies - I personally can't comprehend it meself, but that's just me.)

Sorry to write so much, but the show's just really interesting and I've been chewing on these themes for a while...

Well...

In "Joy Ride", we get Steven who says that he wants to talk about things about his mother to the crystal gems, but he feels like they resent him because they lost Rose via his existence. They obviously realize that he isn't Rose, but that Rose is apart of him, and they do so much to keep him out of trouble, because they know that they can't ever lose Steven. It's the last of Rose that they have. Not that they wouldn't love Steven had Rose survived, but they wouldn't be treating him as they are now. It's like Pearl has trouble with Steven because he reminds her of Rose so much, and like with Rose, she never wants him to be in somewhere where there is trouble, such as in missions. Amethyst obviously pretends that she's not affected by it, but definitely has some deep issues about it, but at least she doesn't let it affect how she sees Steven, and is one that pushes him to do stuff with them, even when it's definitely not safe. And like you said Walkazo, Garnet understands, and she is often the logic/common sense that Pearl needs and the sensibility/rationality that Amethyst needs with Steven, since both can often be unsure of what to do with Steven, since he's unique.

And that's where a lot of issues seem to stem with them is that they don't know what to expect from him. They don't know if they can be like them, and worse of all, they don't know things like how long he'll live or if he'll be able to substain the human form he has. And that's also a very depressing thought, because if Steven is unable to live long because of his organic, human body, then the three of them will really lose Steven, and the last of Rose. I mean, in "Too Many Birthdays", we see the gems and how they react to Steven dying, and it's so painful. Pearl was a mental mess, Amythest was the one that was trying to think of them succeeding, and Garnet literally had no idea how to solve, and started crying.

Like, this show literally is one of the saddest things the more you think about it, even though it has a cheerful man character and who is basically always optimistic.

Also, wasn't that impressed with this latest episode, but it was a Ronaldo episode, so it was kind of expected. I thought Garnet was the best in the episode.

Haven't seen "Joy Ride" yet - I'll see if I can get to it next weekend. I've been watching the show in a pretty haphazard order during down time at work...

Walkazo said:
Haven't seen "Joy Ride" yet - I'll see if I can get to it next weekend. I've been watching the show in a pretty haphazard order during down time at work...

At least you didn't basically watch the series backwards like I did. I'll tell you though, it was kind of cool understanding more and more of the later episodes as you watched the series.

Back