What are the "gamers" like in your school?

there's the pretentious cod+minecraft snobs who think they are just Hi-larious, the nintendo people (which is a surprising amount), the people who refuse to believe that sony is japanese after saying all japanese are retarded and gay (which are luckily only 2 people), the steam/nintendo people, and one xbox gamer who believes that xbox one is the second coming of jesus.

DragonFreak said:
^I find that incredibly awesome, that I can't believe it. At all.

Ema Skye said:
Off the top of my head:

- Battlefield fans
- Assassin's Creed fans who hated 3 and are unsure whether to get 4
- DotA 2 or LoL fans (never both... and the arguments never end)
- Some pretentious people who only play Indie games
- Lots of Pokemon / 3DSes, but not so much Nintendo fans in general
- Dark Souls fans
- GTA fans
- Universal distaste for CoD

Probably others that I can't think of. It's pretty varied and thank goodness everyone hates CoD.
I would love the people at your school. Needs less GTA though.
Eh, GTA is fine, I'm just annoyed of the success V got using classical, sleazy marketing techniques.

And studying game design makes you basically hate the majority of the mainstream game industry, including CoDs, publishers and all that jazz.

Mainly COD and other first-person shooters, but I've seen some some people bring in their 3DS with Pokemon X/Y and one of my good mates is a Nintendo fan.

The actual 'gamers' at my school like CoD and Minecraft and all that, but they also like Nintendo a lot. I feel like it's not gamers that 'hate' Nintendo and other such companies anymore, it's those annoying people that only care about sports and whatnot.

DragonFreak said:
What does studying game design make you love more?
You grow more appreciative of the work people do. It's very easy to forget that games are made by people and that many of them devote their lives to their work - often under really poor conditions - and often get nothing in return. It's amplified in places like Melbourne where we have a booming independent scene but no big publisher games at all, so you end up meeting individuals who are really dedicated to their work and they all have really cool stories about their experiences and things.

That's probably what is best, and I likely wouldn't have known about it had I not started my course, mainly because sadly the independent games scene is only really known to the independent games scene because mainly because those people actively seek it out. Nobody else knows about it because they're never told, and it is really sad.

Ema Skye said:
DragonFreak said:
You grow more appreciative of the work people do. It's very easy to forget that games are made by people and that many of them devote their lives to their work - often under really poor conditions - and often get nothing in return. It's amplified in places like Melbourne where we have a booming independent scene but no big publisher games at all, so you end up meeting individuals who are really dedicated to their work and they all have really cool stories about their experiences and things.

That's probably what is best, and I likely wouldn't have known about it had I not started my course, mainly because sadly the independent games scene is only really known to the independent games scene because mainly because those people actively seek it out. Nobody else knows about it because they're never told, and it is really sad.

Game developers work in poor conditions? I thought they're seated most of the time, and their attire is casual (shorts, t-shirts, sandals). The environment seems laid back. It's unfortunate that independent game developers don't have the money to mass advertise their games, so they will remain a quirk of the games rather than mainstream.

Mario Party X said:
Ema Skye said:
DragonFreak said:

Game developers work in poor conditions? I thought they're seated most of the time, and their attire is casual (shorts, t-shirts, sandals). The environment seems laid back. It's unfortunate that independent game developers don't have the money to mass advertise their games, so they will remain a quirk of the games rather than mainstream.
Well, sitting down and wearing casual attire doesn't really have anything to do with creating positive working conditions. The problem is that the employees are often overworked, sometimes putting in 80-100hrs of work a week (when your standard 9-5 job would be around 35-40hr).

There's a common thing in development (not just games) called 'crunch time,' which occurs when there is a mad rush to meet a deadline if things are falling behind (usually the last week or so before a deadline,) but often these last a lot longer than that, sometimes upwards of a full year. Seriously, can you imagine pulling out 80 hours of work a week for a year? You'd be lucky to make it two or three weeks without feeling completely drained and hating your life. And often these employees have families that they never get to see either.

A classic case is the working conditions of Team Bondi during the development of L.A. Noire. You can give that a look here:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2011/06/24/why-did-la-noire-take-seven-years-to-make

As for how to prevent these problems, well, it's hard to say. You'll often find that things like 'crunch time' are the result of poor upper management decisions (unrealistic deadlines, for instance) which ends up spiraling down to the developers because they're the ones who need to meet these requirements. That's doesn't mean that it is all the fault of upper management, some responsibility is with the developers. Some unrealistic milestones are the result of poor communication between the two teams, as they have totally different skillsets and language that they use in their work. Unfortunately there haven't really been many companies that have been able to bridge this communication barrier either. Also, sometimes it comes down to workers not really being aware of their rights and not being assertive enough to say that they're being mistreated.

So yeah, there are definitely some problems within some game companies. Did that kinda make sense? I tend to ramble sometimes. D:

in my school everyone loves pokemon, even those who don't

then there's your usual dashing of cod fans though they aren't as annoying in my school as i've known in past years

you have a lot of minecraft fans

and there's some indie gamers i guess

In my school I have seen people playing on their 3DSes with games such as Pokemon and Mario. In my class, there seems to be a mix of games they play, but the most popular games are on PC (League of Legends, Counter Strike, etc).

Mostly shooter games and Minecraft, but there's a few oddballs that like Nintendo. Pokémon's popularity is increasing thanks to X and Y.

Most people agree that the PS4 is the best next gen console. Most people hate the Xbox One, thankfully.

Finland said:
Mostly shooter games and Minecraft, but there's a few oddballs that like Nintendo. Pokémon's popularity is increasing thanks to X and Y.

Most people agree that the PS4 is the best next gen console. Most people hate the Xbox One, thankfully.
This ^

Just about to say that but you beat me to it.

Well groomed socialites able to appreciate the finer qualities of the Game.Com and the Super A'Can. The gaming club routinely skip classes to worship a cartridge of Veigues Tactical Gladiator.

Back in the day, a couple of my high school classmates liked to play Pokemon (mainly oldschool Red version) in the back of the physics class instead of doing work. There was a big Mario Kart DS fad at one point, and there was also one year where playing emulated SSB (the original) on the computers in tech class was a big thing. There were lots of GTA, Halo, Portal, WoW-style MMORPG and misc. warplane flight simulator game fans in the group I ran with at lunch, too.

These days, I don't know any gamers at school. My favourite prof used to play Dungeons and Dragon, tho.

90% of people who play video games at my school are die-hard Xbox and CoD fans. Like, you can't even be seen playing a 3DS without hearing something like "you can shove that piece of shit up your ass" from someone. The other 10% (like me, except that I can tolerate Xbox and war games) are die hard Nintendo and Minecraft fans. As for me, I'm generally quiet in school so I don't mention my video game preferences to anyone unless they specifically ask when I say I sort of like Xbox (which is true).

Xbox One will be going to fail, PS4 have too many games and my friend who preordered xbone dropped his preorder when I showed him all known PS4 games yesterday

Glowsquid said:
Well groomed socialites able to appreciate the finer qualities of the Game.Com and the Super A'Can. The gaming club routinely skip classes to worship a cartridge of Veigues Tactical Gladiator.
...lol?

Glowsquid said:
Sigg'd

PlayStation 4 said:
Xbox One will be going to fail, PS4 have too many games and my friend who preordered xbone dropped his preorder when I showed him all known PS4 games yesterday
this sounds less like information about the gamers in your school and more like another one of your fanboying posts

It is true, look at amazon for the list and Sony confirm that there is 180 PS4 games in development

Back