Brawl Mod: Project M (Doesn't require hacking your Wii/Wii U!)

If Nintendo really did issue a C&D then fuck them and fuck everything about them

Man this is a shame. I know I'm one of those who wasn't playing this for Competitive uses. But still I feel sorry for those who do. I know there will be alot of people in the Smash community upset (Whether or not this is a Nintendo Cease & Desist. Cause even if it turns out it wasn't Nintendo's fault. This is still alot of players favorite for bringing Melee-esque gameplay to the variety of Brawl's characters and stages. It will either be Nintendo or the Dev Team that gets the flack for it)

Good on the Dev Team to work on something from the ground-up though. I'm sure this gave them alot of game design experience and they could probably profit from it next time.

Project M will always be part of the Modding community though, so it will always live on that way as it's not like this takes away everyone's downloads. People will have the (unintended) final build of 3.6 to share even with the download links gone from the site.

Well they said there wasn't a C&D but I am taking it with a grain of salt. If it is just a personal matter then I'm hoping they release the source code because I'd like to see how they got it all to work.

Is there any info on this 'Project Wavedash?' My theory is they're making their own original Smash-like game and are getting legal advice to see how much they can port over from PM. I'd assumed that their mod specific scripts (ie any files they've created from scratch) would be their own intellectual property, but anything that's been reconstructed from Brawl would not.

But yeah, legalities around mods can be iffy, especially when you're dealing with such a backwards, 'set in their ways' company like Nintendo

Pal can't be hard to set up if I managed to do it. Even though it took me all night, and I think I downloaded everything twice.

PAL wouldn't have been worth setting up in the end. If you're able to follow some instructions to apply the mod then you can follow some instructions to get the NTSC version. Better to focus on improving the gameplay.

Project M modding won't die. Pretty sure independent, smaller groups may continue working on them and continuing development, a similar fate to Super Mario Bros. X . The fanbase is too strong for it to die.

In the meantime i guess we could still play other mods like Brawl Minus.

Welp, this really sucks. And this is what happens when a mod gets way too big, you start getting potential legal problems. It's a double-edged sword when a mod gets really popular. Welp, I guess I'll just turn to Brawl-, which is also another fantastic mod set, but it's not as stable and, while popular, not as popular as Project M. I just want someone to take apart Project M's damn .gct files so I can get some good ones like CPUs not being a dick, etc.

oh you'll never believe this:

one of the ex-members of the PMDT leaked the latest dev version onto 4chan with alpha builds of isaac (!) and beta builds of lyn and knuckles (!!!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewPMDT/comments/3v6co7/dev_build_discovery_thread/

i'm not sure how well the pm team will react to this, but eh, free mods can't be beat

I hope the modding community can finish what the Project M team has left off.

I'm probably going to give them a try, unless they're super buggy or some shit like that.

edit: wait sami like from advance wars?

You can only use Sami if you replace Snake with him (Basically remove or delete Snake's folder and rename Sami's folder and files to Snake). It looks like if you do so he's not all that different from Snake from where he was at that point.

And I've tried all 3. They're all pretty nice. Especially Knuckles. Now just a forewarning that Isaac uses Toon Link's audio cause they couldn't get a pack for him. But for the most part Lyn and Knuckles are ok on audio (Though Knuckles makes Sonic's Star KO noise). It's obvious they aren't as worjed on as the rest of the cast but it's alright. Now when I replace Meta Knight with Tails again. I can have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles together in Smash :)

Northern Verve said:
You can only use Sami if you replace Snake with him (Basically remove or delete Snake's folder and rename Sami's folder and files to Snake). It looks like if you do so he's not all that different from Snake from where he was at that point.

you don't necessarily need to do that. unless Sami's files come with fitsnake.pac and fitsnakemotionetc. Otherwise, you can just replace a costume with a Sami one.

Here's a fb post from Mewtwo2000 about why they shut down PM https://www.facebook.com/Mewtwo2000/posts/724185831014518 and some reddit comments I guess https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3v8t9b/mewtwo2000_made_a_post_and_i_havent_seen_it/

They never thought further than a C&D, a letter or message that would tell them to stop with no further actions if agreed. But the possibility of a legal action without a previous warning has come on the table in the last days, and talking with an actual lawyer about it has changed all what the PMDT feared. Let's say it's changed from the possibility of being told to stop at anytime to the fear of having to pay millions of dollars if dared to do even a single further release. Something that comes to be useless in the end, cause no matter what, somebody will leak stuff, and Project M will be on the spot more than ever.

I think he's also not completely in the know but his opinion is probably informed in some way, I'm curious what it was that brought it to their attention that they should go see a lawyer about it.

Back