Brawl Mod: Project M (Doesn't require hacking your Wii/Wii U!)

Threek said:
it sure as *bleep* doesn't like me playing on delfino secret

it crashed every time i tried playing on it :(

Maybe try redowloading the stage and .rel files.....

But it really is a pain in the ass if you need to fix only one asset...as I said, I don't like the all or nothing thing for the PM dl.

They're slowing character changes down now, I think, to let characters develop more. Though, they hit Fox with a strange change and now Mew2king doesn't want to vouch for majors for Project M. O well.

0-to-Death Mode is actually quite fun. Great combo practice and helps train landing finisher moves.

Oh, and Auto L-Cancel mode is a little bad. Either have L-Cancelling in the game or don't, don't give the option if you don't want to split the playerbase.

Would rather if they ditched L-canceling altogether. It's not a fun mechanic.

It's there for a reason. It's intended to make aerials actually capable of being used in the neutral and in conjunction with grounded moves, but they also don't want extreme shield pressure being easy to do (though I personally love 64's hit mechanics and would be fine with it).

Threek said:
it sure as fuck doesn't like me playing on delfino secret

it crashed every time i tried playing on it :(

It's supposed to be a secret until the final version comes out.

Does this work with the stage expansion pack?

EDIT: Wait never mind, apparently the ASL lets you have 26 stages per slot using a code, which is even better.

EDIT 2: And also glad Spear Pillar's back. I always enjoyed screwing around in that stage in Brawl.

Groden said:
Oh, and Auto L-Cancel mode is a little bad. Either have L-Cancelling in the game or don't, don't give the option if you don't want to split the playerbase.

Well this is the Smash fanbase. The playerbase has been split since those who prefer the competitive smash or the casual side of Smash started arguing over what's the "true" way to play Smash.

Personally I kinda like the option since I just don't have the patience to learn to make the tedious task of L-Canceling every move I make. I don't plan on attending professional tournies for any Smash game. And I know there are some that felt the same way because I even saw a thread or two suggesting an Auto L-Cancel be an option on the Project M forum section of Smashboards a long while ago.

I won't force Auto L-Cancel on when we play eachother but I may turn it on when fighting CPUs so I can get the feel of L-Canceling without the required tediousness.

Only elitists of either side say their way is the "true" way of playing Smash. To me, at least, this isn't a matter of casual vs. competitive, this is a matter of causing a schism between those who want it on and those who want it off.

It's all-or-nothing. L-cancelling is a huge fundamental to learn, and I don't see tournaments making auto cancelling the standard, between balance worries and, most likely, familiarity with Melee. New players now have the option of simply not learning it, which is kind of really bad if they want to move forward. If they make it permanently off and just have very low endlag for every aerial move, so be it. It'll get shit flung at it for not being Melee, but it's a better alternative to having a switch, in my honest opinion.

I'm just saying it's a bit of a rocky road with anything regarding competitive Smash. Maybe I'm in no position I suppose to say things on it given I don't consider myself that type of player. I'd just think it's frustrating if there isn't some options there so when new players are introduced to Project M friends that played it alot regularly confuzzle them with advanced techniques and the only response they can really give is (hopefully) a friendlier way of saying "git gud". There would be players who have played Melee before and thus know the Advanced Techniques by heart thanks to years of practice of which newcomers don't have the time to achieve and they may feel left behind anyway.

I'm pretty sure the PM Devs put in the option knowing full well tournaments won't be using Auto L-Canceling. I do think Auto L-Cancel is for those who aren't as interested or at least won't be in the competitive scene til' they're ready for it similar to the input delay option that's also already been in Project M for a while. They can experience how it feels to have L-Canceling done for them and if they want to start learning doing it manually they can change that real quick and train like normal. Or there will be some people who legitimately put auto L-Cancel on all the time because they were never planning to progress enough to participate in the tournaments. The option is just there and can be as easily ignored as Coin matches are normally in Smash Bros. if one is not fond of it. But it could be great for those who will find usage in it whether they're doing it to get a feel of it for eventual training purposes or if they just want to L-Cancel without the tedious process of committing it to muscle memory.

Project M should have a side of it that players who aren't as much into the competitive scene will enjoy. The ability to softmod your own build, add your own music, the costumes, bringing back classic stages (Regardless of Competitive viability), etc. help with that immensely. And even if it makes people mad that Project M are adding options that are "noob friendly". I just feel it's better to have a wider appeal then to keep it narrow to any one side even if the tournament player stuff was the original goal. Of course most of these kind of people already have Smash 4 of which they've already pretty much flocked to. but perhaps stuff like still having the option of playing the Brawl version of some stages will help those who did like vanilla Brawl and felt like giving this a try, not feel quite like things got too jarring or feel less like outcasts. I know until Smash 4 came out Project M was just a way of adding my own wanted content in my favorite game as yes I am one to say I liked Brawl more then Melee as much as that might be blasphemous to most who play Project M competitively in any way. And I know there would be others like me that feel that way too.

tl;dr version: The devs are probably remembering that the people who only liked Melee aren't the only Smash fans out there. They need those who liked Brawl just as much and even those who preferred Brawl playing as well. The broader appeal amongst longtime Smash players the better.

(Heh kinda got ranty there for a moment, sorry about that haha)

Like, here's the thing; Project M was designed to be a harder, more competitive game with more inputs and more things to think about than Brawl and Smash 4. It's designed by tournament players, largely for tournament players. That's the raw deal. I'm aware you are more satisfied with using it as a modding platform, but it's also a very centralized game that aims to expand on Melee's long-lasting solid formula, too.

That being said, of course they still like it gaining non-competitive players, still putting in things like the absurd stamina modes or Turbo mode. But I don't really like it as a crutch to new players- I think it's cool to visualize just how effective L-cancelling is, but you have to learn it if you want to go places with it. It's not going to make a large difference if you're going against a player who has put in enough time to do it on his own, anyway.

It's not like Coin Battle where its an alternate fun mode that is obviously not for competitive play, and it's not like the input buffer which adjusts for timing muscle memory. It's literally allowing you to skip an input for free. My gripes with it aren't that people who don't plan on going to tournaments might use it- I care that people who ARE might, or be turned away from competitive play because of it.

vLe7ihM.jpg

The first time I saw this results screen glitch was when I was playing with my brother in All-Star special mode. And it must be Ice Climbers related in some way because everytime it's come up it's because Ice Climbers were there. But when I saw it the first time I laughed my ass off and my brother was looking at it in pure disbelief. I couldn't take a picture at the time but since it so happen so show up again when I was playing earlier I thought I'd show it. It's still kinda amusing.

Northern Verve said:
vLe7ihM.jpg

The first time I saw this results screen glitch was when I was playing with my brother in All-Star special mode. And it must be Ice Climbers related in some way because everytime it's come up it's because Ice Climbers were there. But when I saw it the first time I laughed my ass off and my brother was looking at it in pure disbelief. I couldn't take a picture at the time but since it so happen so show up again when I was playing earlier I thought I'd show it. It's still kinda amusing.
Happened to my sister and me, too, during All-Star mode. We were in disbelief, too.

Groden said:
I've played countless hours with my friends and that has still never happened to us...

How often do you guys use Ice Climbers and/or All-Star mode? That may have something to do with it given all the times it's happened is randomly when Ice Climbers were involved in an All-Star match.

Maybe next time you play, try having All-Star matches and have a CPU Ice Climbers in play until it happens.

Whenever I play Ice Climbers, this ALWAYS happens in All-Star special mode. Any other character is ok, but every time I win with them, this happens.

Dark Meta Knight said:
Does anyone know how to get the alternate stages with the wiimote?

It's a little annoying to do everytime. But I've heard you can disconnect your Wii Remote from the Nunchuk and hold B when selecting a stage before quickly connecting it again to the Nunchuk.

Though if you mean just for the Wiimote then why are you playing the wiimote for Smash just hold B like I said.

Groden said:
Northern Verve said:
How often do you guys use Ice Climbers
We consider Ice Climbers the worst character in the game, so, not very often

That might explain why you've never seen it with your friends then. It's likely the glitch is Ice Climbers specific given what we know so far.

Northern Verve said:
vLe7ihM.jpg

Or maybe they just really got rekt.

It wouldn't be feasibly possible since only 2:19 passed. I don't think getting KO'd even per second would amount to this...

The other stats are screwed up too

Like your hit percentages is like in the extremes, such as 2% or 100%.

And it's not Ice Climbers specific either.

Mario Party Σ said:
It wouldn't be feasibly possible since only 2:19 passed. I don't think getting KO'd even per second would amount to this...

Plus it was a stock match. The best you could get rekt is getting 4-stocked.

Clearly the only explanation is Sonic is so fast and cool he can get 999999 KOs at the expense of it making it seem like he's been KOed 55696 times but not really while wowing the Ice Climbers so much that they fall off 16972 times all in just a little over two minutes. 4 KOs is what's seen on screen but what shows up in the Ice Climber stats are what happened when my eyes were blinking

Baby Luigi said:
The other stats are screwed up too

Like your hit percentages is like in the extremes, such as 2% or 100%.

And it's not Ice Climbers specific either.

What other characters do you remember triggered it?

It's only Ice Climber that trigger this absurd amount of data, if I recall correctly. I do believe that my hit percent and all are also pretty inaccurate for all characters. The fun part is seeing all those variety of heads in the records, though.

Anyway, during All-Star, I go by this order:

Mario (default) - Kirby (yellow) - Link (default Ocarina of Time) - Fox (blue Melee) - Luigi (Mr. L) - Dr. Mario (green) - Mr. Game & Watch (Yellow) - Marth (Purple alternate costume thing) - King Dedede (green samurai thing) - Lucas (that brown outfit) - Diddy Kong (blue)

My opponents are by this order

Ganondorf (Green Melee) - Ganondorf (Default Melee) - Ganondorf (Purple Melee) - Ganondorf (Blue Melee) - Ganondorf (Red Melee) - Ganondorf (White Brawl)
Wario (default overalls) - Yoshi (green) - Wario (default WarioWare) - Yoshi (black) - Wario (cotton candy overalls) - Yoshi (White)
Donkey Kong (default) - Charizard (default) - Donkey Kong (green boxer) - Charizard (armor thing)

It gets hilarious in Giant Stamina with damage scaling, blast-line wrapping, and 2.0 ratio, with 99 stock. Oh, and blast boxes and Smart bombs. Like always. But with Super Mushrooms, Mini Mushrooms, and Lightning Bolts. Extra points if the Lightning Bolt misfires and makes EVERYONE huge. In Stamina, just listen to them die when they're huge. It's extra low-pitched.

Back