What was the last book you read?

Santa said:
I last finished, "The $100 Startup," by Chris Guillebeau and an now onto, "The Virgin Way," by Richard Branson.

Both in audiobook form, I dunno if listening counts as reading.

PrincessPeach1989 said:
The Art of War
Nice. Which translation did you read?

Spanish
------

Dracula

Last night, Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

I thiiiiink I like it more than Kiss the Girls, also I have Jack and Jill now so I'll read that later.

Muffet said:
Last night, Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

I thiiiiink I like it more than Kiss the Girls
Interesting

The Minds of Billy Milligan by Daniel Keyes. A very interesting book written about a very interesting person

Jack and Jill by James Patterson

I think this might be my favourite Alex Cross book now, honestly.

Also started reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare because a friend of mine mildly pressured me.

One chapter in, she has good taste if the book carries on like that.

This needs a bump.

A Prayer for Owen Meaney, Frankenstein, Divergent and Insurgent are some of the books I've read recently.

Currently reading A Christmas Carol, and plan to read American Pastoral afterwards.

Pride and Prejudice

Surprisingly I quite enjoyed this, it was very coherent and easy to follow, as well as engaging. One of my new favourite books, potentially my favourite classic.

The Stolen White Elephant (and other stories)

There was much banter, a good quick read.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

I thought I was getting a comedy but it was more of a depressing history lesson with golden bits of comedy sprinkled in, the balance was impressively effective and I loved it as a whole. Another new favourite, for sure.

A Tale of Two Cities

I finally got back to reading this after a few months of hiatus and once I got into the third part, my interest peaked and I tore through to the ending in a matter of hours. It was a bit dry up until that point and sometimes couldn't enjoy the writing style, but I loved everything about the third part and that made up for everything and more, definitely the strongest part in the book. Especially the ending, that really stuck on me. Certainly another favourite of mine.

The xkcd/What If? book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_If%3F:_Serious_Scientific_Answers_to_Absurd_Hypothetical_Questions (this one)

it's basically a best of from his answers + some new ones (also fully translated on german, which is cool) + the worst questions he got which he didnt answer (or rather, couldnt because they were so dumb/questionable)

if you like xkcd, this is probably really cool. I like xkcd and my dad had this book without me even knowing it lol

My collection of "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" books. For those unfamiliar with them, its basically a GWR book filled with crazy, but true stories. I'll give one of my favorite examples from each book I have, which currently are 5, and I ordered 2 more last Monday:

From "Eye-Popping Oddities":

A man from Russia faked his own death so he could propose to his girlfriend. He hired a movie director, stuntmen, make-up artists and even a scriptwriter to stage a bogus car crash, which was so convincing that when she arrived to the scene and was told he was dead, she broke down in tears. Convinced that she really loved him, the man jumped up on his legs and proposed, still covered in fake blood. She said yes!

From "Dare to Look":

The hottest rain ever recorded had a temperature of 114.8 degrees Fahrenheit (46 degrees Celsius). It fell over Needles, California August 13, 2012 in conjunction with a storm, but because of the heat and the dry air, most of the rain evaporated before hitting the ground.

From "Reality Shock":

An Englishman changed his name to "Stormhammer Deathclaw Firebrand", as he thought his original name, Richard Smith, was too boring.

From "Download the Weird":
I'll include two stories here, as I felt both were good.

A busdriver lost his job after his bosses saw a Youtube video of how he ran over a snowman someone had built on the road in Urbana, USA.

A college student in Northampton, England, was so bored during a class in civics that when she yawned, her jaw became dislocated for 4 hours.

Finally, "Strikingly True": The language Rotokas, only spoken on the island Bougainville in Papua New Guinea, has only 12 letters in its alphabet: A, E, G, I, K, O, P, R, S, T, U and V.

Warten auf Weihnachten (Waiting for Christmas)

"What the hell LN1, it's September? Why read Christmas stories?"

Anyway, a nearly 40-year old book ("©Verlag Friedrich Oetinger, Hamburg 1978[...]Printed in Germany 1978") which is a collection of a variety of I presume fairly old Christmas related tales. Der Bär und der Vogel(The bear and the bird) had a pretty sad ending. Its messed up. Felix holt Senf (Felix fetches mustard) Wtf. I think I simply don't get the ending at all. Der Christbaum meiner Mutter (The Christmas tree of my mother)...poor mother. There's 16 stories total and the rest were either funny or sweet imo. Well, Pelle zieht aus (Pelle moves out) wasn't much to me and Der Baum (The tree) was kind of eh too.

Disclaimer: I used LEO, PONS, and dict.cc quite a lot while reading.

Currently reading Harry Potter and the cursed child

i rate scorpio 10/10

idk what albus' problem is but scorpio is just like "uhm okay hes my friend so i guess yolo"

freakworld said:

i rate scorpio 10/10

idk what albus' problem is but scorpio is just like "uhm okay hes my friend so i guess yolo"

finished that now

i genuinely liked it

just uh

how exactly do i have to picture the fact that voldemort and bellatrix lestrange uh

uuuuuh

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

"this is a good plot twist that makes sense and definitely isn't fanfictiony" - freakworld

Dr. John H. Watson said:
freakworld said:

i rate scorpio 10/10

finished that now

i genuinely liked it

just uh

how exactly do i have to picture the fact that voldemort and bellatrix lestrange uh

uuuuuh

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
special shout-out to when the trolley witch on the train turned into the green goblin for no reason

Back