About the schedule

Should the schedule be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People should be able to host games when they can and not have to wait for an entire month or two just to do so. One of the main reasons I have not hosted many games is because every time I am able to, I remember that I have to wait a long time just to start it. Indeed, my most recent mafia (Alphabet Mafia I) would have been much better had it started immediately due to me having the time to manage it properly-- instead, it got delayed for two months and started at a time where I was too busy to make it work.

A game will be at its best quality when the host actually has the time and willpower to run it.

Nabber said:
honestly I still don't get why the schedule is such a problem. it's worked for years, lots of hosts old and new have made many successful games with it instilled

well, the games' success is not due to the schedule. Removing the schedule would not impact game quality.

The MHG is not some sort of hierarchy that are for "cool" people or think we are better or anything; if that was true, I would have dropped out of it. I just want to make that clear, because Javelin brings this up all the time even though he hasn't been in the board.

The thing I see is that people are complaining about the list because it make new hosts feel reluctant to join because of the long wait, though some thing that having a popularity system would be better when in reality it'll just create even worse problem to everyone (btw, I do appreciate the complements here but trust me; I'm not that popular, or that liked).

Likewise, you want to abolish the schedule, and we say that it'll be chaos because 5+ games will force greater inactivity levels, more difficulty to make people remember what for each game, etc. but then you fire back that people can start when they feel like it is right and that probably won't happen like that. So basically that means that "we will still do 4 games, but only to those that can make roles and stuff faster". And then what? What if I had gotten everything done, but 4 games that are somewhat active and somewhat not are going on and so I either have to wait or let my game suffer dearly because it'll only make mine and everyone else's game less active. And what if I'm waiting and a month goes by to when activity is up, and suddenly another game is ready as well? Hmm...now 6 games or force that person to wait and be ready for 2 months, and that's not talking about any other games that are just waiting.

Heck, that was just a good bad-case scenario. We might see 1 game going on and only slowing things worse than what you guys are complaining about now or have 6 games starting at the same time and facing that case. And people can suppose lay start and stop their games whenever they want? People might get bored and put their game off because they can, or forget to update their game because no list or no schedule to keep them in check and no to wait on. Sounds like the perfect thing, right? Besides, I doubt that people here will communicate very well to when they want their game to start because we got rid of the schedule so people don't have to do that and to start whenever they want!

MG1 made the schedule in 2010 for a reason. It wasn't to piss off people and make games take forever to begin; it was to keep order. Is it really a pain to wait a few months to begin? If you're ready, the when its your turn, you can start in a breeze! Heck, with all the games being put on hold, you'll start sooner than you think. The list is also to make sure you have enough time to make sure you want to host it. I'm sure that sometimes people feel like hosting something and then in a week's time decide to just feel like they don't want to do it anymore.

I see the pros and the cons of both side, but honestly there is just too much negatives to getting rid of the list then the positives. Sometimes you don't realize how good something is until you are without it, and I know that before we had the list, things were pretty chaotic, and I am truly happy that MG1 made the schedule, and I'm sure that if he saw this thread he'll be in full support for keeping the schedule.

Mario4Ever said:
Nabber said:
honestly I still don't get why the schedule is such a problem. it's worked for years, lots of hosts old and new have made many successful games with it instilled

well, the games' success is not due to the schedule. Removing the schedule would not impact game quality.
my point is that games haven't really been affected by the schedule

i guess work suddenly getting in the way of a mafia is quite inconvenient. though I don't really see why you can't just postpone it.

Nabber said:
Mario4Ever said:
Nabber said:

i guess work suddenly getting in the way of a mafia is quite inconvenient. though I don't really see why you can't just postpone it.
postponing mafias is what got us into this mess

Mafia worked fine without the schedule. This "order" that it is purported to bring... look at the massive turnover in the schedule right now. That seems very orderly to me.

i agree with smb and anyone else who supports getting rid of it, basically

mostly because this'll stop people having to wait to get through the schedule all over again if they put their games on hold

Trucy Wright said:
Nabber said:
Mario4Ever said:
Nabber said:

postponing mafias is what got us into this mess
yeah thinking about it SMB makes a pretty good point

for the record i would be fine with getting rid of the schedule

Xerneas said:
The MHG is not some sort of hierarchy that are for "cool" people or think we are better or anything; if that was true, I would have dropped out of it. I just want to make that clear, because Javelin brings this up all the time even though he hasn't been in the board.
Although I can show him the board anytime if I want to.

And he is very correct; we are an oligarchy, where we elect ourselves and don't have to listen to the people if we don't want to.
Heck, that was just a good bad-case scenario. We might see 1 game going on and only slowing things worse than what you guys are complaining about now or have 6 games starting at the same time and facing that case. And people can suppose lay start and stop their games whenever they want? People might get bored and put their game off because they can, or forget to update their game because no list or no schedule to keep them in check and no to wait on. Sounds like the perfect thing, right? Besides, I doubt that people here will communicate very well to when they want their game to start because we got rid of the schedule so people don't have to do that and to start whenever they want!
So having 1 game going is worse than forcing people to start if they aren't ready? And if people stop and start their games whenever they want to, this will make people want to sign up for their games less, going back to Jav's point about "capitalism".

Also, implying having a schedule has anything to do with late host updates, lol.
MG1 made the schedule in 2010 for a reason. It wasn't to piss off people and make games take forever to begin; it was to keep order. Is it really a pain to wait a few months to begin? If you're ready, the when its your turn, you can start in a breeze! Heck, with all the games being put on hold, you'll start sooner than you think. The list is also to make sure you have enough time to make sure you want to host it. I'm sure that sometimes people feel like hosting something and then in a week's time decide to just feel like they don't want to do it anymore.
There were MUCH less games in 2010, so the schedule had less waiting.

Public opinion is currently 2:1 in favor of removing the schedule. My question is: is anyone going to listen to us? And who exactly has to say "oh you guys can make games now"?

My advice: go ahead and make your games now. Like, right now.

We've got public opinion on our side. Literally only thing the guild can do to stop us from hosting games is not sticky out games. The horror!

So yeah, go make your game threads, start it when you feel like, right now.

Dr. Javelin said:
Public opinion is currently 2:1 in favor of removing the schedule. My question is: is anyone going to listen to us? And who exactly has to say "oh you guys can make games now"?

We've got public opinion on our side. Literally only thing the guild can do to stop us from hosting games is not sticky out games. The horror!

Don't be a dick; besides, I'm sure that your boards will get locked by Smasher.

@SMB: Finally at a computer and when I posted my response it was before I read your thing; that is one thing that the schedule fails to do. It does make people with busy schedules have to figure out whether or not they'll be busy in a few months, and I do feel like it is a major flaw. That is definitely a con for the scheduling.

All I know is that it is going to be total chaos if we get too many games going at the same time. Whether we get rid of the list or not, I am highly recommending that we still keep it at a max of four games. Do you guys agree?

But my problem is that getting rid of the schedule is still going to be rather...pointless, because all it will be is an unofficial schedule based on how active people are. I mean, is it that hard just to change the list's format so that we have people that are ready can go before people that are still preparing for their game? I'm sure that there is a way that we can format it like that so that it'll work out. I'm a bit tired, so I'm really not in the mood to try to think of ways to do that, but I'm sure there is a fair solution to that, and some way to change the schedule so that people that are busy aren't stuck with having to decide whether or not to go for it or not and then hope for enough time to host a game in the future.

It's just...I don't want to have a few months on this board where we are going to be having problems because we don't know how to communicate well enough. It's just that even though it may sound good enough on paper, sometimes things aren't that great when executed. I'm sure that there is going to be a lot of miscommunications and then we're having some rough bumps trying to figure out who is going to host what when.

I definitely feel for SMB and everything, and I feel that there should definitely be something done about that, whether or not the MHG decide to remove the schedule or not.

Yoshiwaker said:
Xerneas said:

And he is very correct; we are an oligarchy, where we elect ourselves and don't have to listen to the people if we don't want to.

We are more somewhat of a Republic, where we are elected for the people.

It's not like only certain people can rule (everyone has fair chance to be admitted into the Guild), and really, it's not like we do anything that isn't for the people's benefit, as everything we do is FOR the mafia board so that they can be better about having a more enjoyable experience as a player and host.

Xerneas said:
Dr. Javelin said:

Don't be a dick; besides, I'm sure that your boards will get locked by Smasher.
For breaking what rule, exactly? The only thing the guild does there is sticky topics.
Xerneas said:
Yoshiwaker said:
Xerneas said:

Elected "for" the people, and elected "by" the people, are completely different things.

Meaning that people elected "for" the people have no obligation to actually support them.

Don't disgrace the word republic by claiming that you are one. Republics are indirect democracies. The Guild, like it or not, is an oligarchy. Look up the definitions of both Republic and Oligarchy, and you'll understand.

85 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
ジュゲムザクイック said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Like most people have said, people can stop themselves from being involved in too many games if they want. Not a huge problem.
Let me say one thing on this matter.

If there are 10 Mafia's, people may miss out themes they really like.

Furthermore, if everyone only joins 2 out of 10 games, how are the hosts supposed to get enough players?
The hosts will just have to make their games more appealing to the players. If they don't, then they just won't be able to host their game. That's a system called competition, part of a greater system called capitalism.

So basically you're saying only guys like MCD, NSM, BMB, etc. would be able to host games because they attract the most traffic?

If you're trying to destroy a Mafia Host oligarchy, wouldn't that be counterproductive?

jav can you please respond to my post I asked you a question

Xerneas said:
iurfglawhediufaglsgfhtadsbgafdsgiusdfrgiuah how how how

WE ELECT PEOPLE, THEY DON'T.

seriously
(sorry for all caps)
Xerneas said:
It's not like only certain people can rule (everyone has fair chance to be admitted into the Guild), and really, it's not like we do anything that isn't for the people's benefit, as everything we do is FOR the mafia board so that they can be better about having a more enjoyable experience as a player and host.
I can see what you mean here, words like oligarchy tend to have a negative connotation. I'm not saying that the MHG is greedy and selfish, just stating the fact that we actually don't depend on the people to be elected.

What you seem to not be getting is that we've already said many times that there will probably not be a flood of mafias at once; people still seem to have trouble keeping up with mafias even with the four-game limit, and keeping the limit would basically be like keeping the schedule altogether, so...

Having to go through a system of contacting Smasher or someone to let them know that you're ready to start your mafia ASAP sounds like a pain compared to just letting go of it altogether. What if there's already four mafias that are completely ready? Isn't the whole thing just glorified line-cutting?

We're already having rough patches with the schedule system due to the way it works, so how would this make it worse (from what I'm seeing, the biggest problems could be avoided by common sense, and having a more open system would probably be beneficial)?

Javelin, if you could stop being a dick and making this about the MHG, that'd be great. We all know you hate it, so you can get off your fucking high horse about it.

As for the idea of removing the schedule, I'm for it. Both keeping the schedule and removing definitely 100% have their pros and cons, but If it ends up being chaos, then we can always put the schedule back on. Its not like the decision here has to permanent, if the schedule being removed ends up being exactly what the people opposing it fear, then we can always have it reinstated or something, and if we don't remove the schedule there is always the chance of being removed later down the line.

I've also played on a site with a no schedule setup, granted their was way less players, but we used common sense to run it, and I don't see why the users here can't use common sense as well.

The schedule is definitely a bit bumpy right now, and with the huge decrease of activity screwing it all over, essentially making the schedule a waste of time, I'd be fine with removing it.

85 said:
85 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
ジュゲムザクイック said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Like most people have said, people can stop themselves from being involved in too many games if they want. Not a huge problem.
Let me say one thing on this matter.

If there are 10 Mafia's, people may miss out themes they really like.

Furthermore, if everyone only joins 2 out of 10 games, how are the hosts supposed to get enough players?
The hosts will just have to make their games more appealing to the players. If they don't, then they just won't be able to host their game. That's a system called competition, part of a greater system called capitalism.

So basically you're saying only guys like MCD, NSM, BMB, etc. would be able to host games because they attract the most traffic?

If you're trying to destroy a Mafia Host oligarchy, wouldn't that be counterproductive?

jav can you please respond to my post I asked you a question
In my experience, it's more about the topic than the user. Don't get me wrong, I do play games sometimes just because I know the host to be skilled, but when I tried to host a game myself, people liked it just because it was Lord of the Rings-themed.
Kimberly Hart said:
Javelin, if you could stop being a dick and making this about the MHG, that'd be great. We all know you hate it, so you can get off your fucking high horse about it.
well excuse me for pointing out the fact that you only sticky topics and are an oligarchy

being an oligarchy is an objective fact and i don't see how you can claim it's just me posturing

Xerneas said:
I think I used up my brain a bit today after all the rants I've done, so forgive me if they're not my best suggestions.

Perhaps we can format the list somewhat like it is where the games that are active and running are bolded, games that have all the sign-ups done are normal format, and games that are getting sign-ups are not on the list. However, I believe that instead of having the italics section being in order of chronological, we have it where when the host is ready to begin, they will PM the Ambassador, and then they'll get moved to the top of the list (the rest of the list will be in chronological, but it will have those games that are ready moved up over it). If another game is ready, they will be moved to just below the game that said it was ready, being second in waiting.

Schedule:
Game A
Game B
Game C
Game D
Game X
Game Y
Game E
Game F
Game G

* Bolds are currently going, Italics are games that are completely prepared to begin, and normal fonts are games that have all sign-ups ready but are not ready to begin.

That way, when a game is over, we can have the next game that is ready begin, and - hopefully not cancelled or the host decided to put it on hold for reasons like some other forum event - there will be a smooth transition. Then when the next game ends, we just go down the list, and ta-da, we get an efficient cycle going. If there are no game

With that, we can have the people that feel the order of the schedule to be still intact, it allows people that feel that the lack of readiness at the top of the list be not at all a problem, it basically satisfies the people that feel that it should be when hosts feel that when a game is ready it can be ready (just like how people wanted it without the list), and it makes it so that it is not a "how fast can you get sign-ups" or popularity contest to get to see who is in order. And to satisfy what SMB had said, it can make people with busier schedules feel like it is less of an issue to have a game get going, as long as they have all the stuff done.

Now that I actually think about it, I do believe that this is a really good idea; not at all because I came up with it, but I really do believe that it will satisfy basically everyone on the board!

I quoted this from the MHG after some fellow MHG members telling me to post it to the public.

It is a solution I believe will make everyone feel better, and will basically make both sides happy, even though there still will be a schedule.

Dr. Javelin said:
Kimberly Hart said:
well excuse me for pointing out the fact that you only sticky topics and are an oligarchy

being an oligarchy is an objective fact and i don't see how you can claim it's just me posturing

No i'm not disagreeing with you, we have definitely been at a lack of things to do, and a few members have made attempts to fix it, (one of the more persistent being BMB, go figure.) and yes we are an oligarchy, bmb apparently doesn't know his government, we are not a republic at all.

But my point is that you mention that you hate the MHG and that its just a "cool kids club" at any chance you get. Complaints are fine, but it gets a bit dumb when you mention it so much.

Dr. Javelin said:
well excuse me for pointing out the fact that you only sticky topics
Actually, we do things like decide whether or not to get rid of the schedule.

wait no thats the same as stickying things :S

Kimberly Hart said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Kimberly Hart said:

No i'm not disagreeing with you, we have definitely been at a lack of things to do, and a few members have made attempts to fix it, (one of the more persistent being BMB, go figure.) and yes we are an oligarchy, bmb apparently doesn't know his government, we are not a republic at all.

But my point is that you mention that you hate the MHG and that its just a "cool kids club" at any chance you get. Complaints are fine, but it gets a bit dumb when you mention it so much.

It would help if people actually did stuff in the board...

Okay, Republic was the wrong term. I am not the brightest on some political aspects, so sorry. And yeah, I am persistant.

Back