Your headcanons

The Koopalings were introduced as Bowser's children back in SMB3. They got retconned into Bowser's minions once they were back in the series from NSBWii on since Miyamoto and Co. didn't dig the idea of Bowser having 8 distinct looking children instead of one.

The reason why Peach sounded so different in Mario 64 is that she was trying to sound really, really, REALLY good for Mario.

Mister Wu said:
I WANT A BURGER said:
WeirdRaptor said:
My headcanon is of a stubbornness to refuse to accept Nintendo's revised backstory for the Mario brothers. To me, they'll always be those Brooklyn plumbers who got sucked through a magic drainpipe into the Mushroom kingdom.

I have similar feelings towards some of Nintendo's recent changes to the lore. (I.e: "The Koopalings aren't Bowser's biological offspring")
Note that Nintendo never said that at all. Miyamoto only said that in the current story the Koopalings aren't Bowser's children, the biological part was never stated nor even implied. In Japan, the Koopalings since Super Smash Bros. Brawl and New Super Mario Bros. Wii aren't adopted children at all, they don't have any family relatioship with Bowser that they call Master Bowser (KuppaSama) and they aren't even related with each other (they call the others Nakama, comrades).
I'm surprised how popular this misinterpretation became, I wonder where did that originate from.
I think that's moreso just people flatout ignoring the retcon or attempting to compromise.
The RPGs have left little ambiguity at this point (barring certain translations of Paper Jam).

Qayin said:
The Koopalings were introduced as Bowser's children back in SMB3. They got retconned into Bowser's minions once they were back in the series from NSBWii on since Miyamoto and Co. didn't dig the idea of Bowser having 8 distinct looking children instead of one.
I have a crackpot theory that it's also due to their differing roles (world bosses vs secondary antagonist). Note that the Junior Clown Car (Introduced in NSMBW and having a clear connection to Bowser) has since replaced the Magic Paintbrush (which is reminiscent of the Koopalings' Magic Scepters which are their iconic weapons).

Sgt Nate V said:
The reason why Peach sounded so different in Mario 64 is that she was trying to sound really, really, REALLY good for Mario.

She sounded older than modern Peach. So maybe Mario 64 is happening in the future!

ThatGuy62 said:
I have a crackpot theory that it's also due to their differing roles (world bosses vs secondary antagonist). Note that the Junior Clown Car (Introduced in NSMBW and having a clear connection to Bowser) has since replaced the Magic Paintbrush (which is reminiscent of the Koopalings' Magic Scepters which are their iconic weapons).

My crackpot theory theory is that Miyamoto and Co. noticed that the diverse looks of the Koopalings and Bowser kidnapping a beautiful princess had hints of adult situtations (I'm talking harems, concubines, *bleep* children) that weren't allowed. So the Koopalings were turned into Bowser's minions for the current era of Mario where Bowser being drawn to Peach as a lady and not just a tool for him to exploit is more obvious than ever.

Miles Tails Prower said:
She sounded older than modern Peach. So maybe Mario 64 is happening in the future!

That was just Peach's old personality before she got sillier/ditzier and Rosalina was a thing. Going from Mission to Rescue Princess Peach and Super Mario Adventure, Peach was more of a straight noble monarch/high queen figure (aka Rosalina).

Qayin said:
Bowser kidnapping a beautiful princess had hints of adult situtations (I'm talking harems, concubines, *bleep* children) that weren't allowed.
Kinda odd considering Bowser's entire plan in Sunshine was basically telling Junior that Peach was his mom. Add in Peach's response and people seem to seriously consider the third scenario.

This is more of an alternate interpretation in a desperate attempt to explain the vastly different depiction of everything after Super Paper Mario. But it is an interpretation I've had for a while but never bothered trying to expand on. Most of this is a product of my wandering mind listening to The Sound of Silence while drawing Paper Mario.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Color Splash take place after a split timeline in which the heroes fall to Dimentio in Super Paper Mario. He spares the lives of Mario, Peach and Bowser, wiping their memories and sending them to his rebuilt version of the Mushroom Kingdom, while still using Luigi as a vessel. He creates a new Luigi without a soul, the one that never speaks in Sticker Star and most of Color Splash. However in Color Splash, the real Luigi who had been subdued within his own mind by Dimentio is able to break free temporarily, but is still under enough control to not be allowed to say anything about the truth of what happened.

When Mario found the scraps of paper written by Goombella and Parakarry in Sticker Star, he briefly found the names familiar and started to recall his past, before something in his mind immediately forced him to forget who they were. It was the seed of the Floro Sprout that was secretly repressing the memories of everyone in the world who remained alive. I want to write a whole story about Mario, Peach and Bowser slowly realizing something is off and Luigi constantly switching between a souless zombie and his talkative normal self who seems to know things he can't say. And the eventual defiance of the control the sprouts have on them. But probably not because I can't write things like that over a period of time without losing interest :/

Master of Dimensions said:
This is more of an alternate interpretation in a desperate attempt to explain the vastly different depiction of everything after Super Paper Mario. But it is an interpretation I've had for a while but never bothered trying to expand on. Most of this is a product of my wandering mind listening to The Sound of Silence while drawing Paper Mario.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Color Splash take place after a split timeline in which the heroes fall to Dimentio in Super Paper Mario. He spares the lives of Mario, Peach and Bowser, wiping their memories and sending them to his rebuilt version of the Mushroom Kingdom, while still using Luigi as a vessel. He creates a new Luigi without a soul, the one that never speaks in Sticker Star and most of Color Splash. However in Color Splash, the real Luigi who had been subdued within his own mind by Dimentio is able to break free temporarily, but is still under enough control to not be allowed to say anything about the truth of what happened.

When Mario found the scraps of paper written by Goombella and Parakarry in Sticker Star, he briefly found the names familiar and started to recall his past, before something in his mind immediately forced him to forget who they were. It was the seed of the Floro Sprout that was secretly repressing the memories of everyone in the world who remained alive. I want to write a whole story about Mario, Peach and Bowser slowly realizing something is off and Luigi constantly switching between a souless zombie and his talkative normal self who seems to know things he can't say. And the eventual defiance of the control the sprouts have on them. But probably not because I can't write things like that over a period of time without losing interest :/
See, I just sort of accept that Sticker Star, Paper Jam and Color Splash are a different continuity whereas the previous games happened in the usual universe (the fact that PM1 elements such as the Star Spirits have appeared in other games on occasion is fuels this interpretation further).
It just seems weird that people need to make extremely complicated explanations when "alternate universe" is not only simple, but allows people to completely ignore the series until it sorts itself out (and if it retains the reboot continuity, well, let's just cross that bridge when/if we get to it).
On a related note: Kammy isn't dead or anything, she just retired to the Mushroom World equivalent of Cancun or wherever. Every month she calls Bowser and talks his ears (?) off.

Yeah it's fine to just think of them simply in a different continuity but it's fun to try and explain it anyway :P

I like that idea more than the idea that all Bowser's minions are there for life tbh.

Master of Dimensions said:
Yeah it's fine to just think of them simply in a different continuity but it's fun to try and explain it anyway :P

I like that idea more than the idea that all Bowser's minions are there for life tbh.
Well, alright I guess. Still, it can kinda feel somewhat meanspirited how it's gone about (there's a fanfic on FFN called "Conformity" that tries to explain the generic Toads for example), but that's probably just me.

Bowser takes retirement plans very seriously.
Post-retirement plans, on the other hand... :dry:

I've thought longer than anyone probably should about if Nintendo ever did got "retro Mario characters" like in Sonic Generations or whatever. Particularly the girls' looks and voices.

Retro Peach would have her Leslie Swan voice from Super Mario 64.
Princess_Peach_Super_Mario_64.png

Retro Daisy would have her Jen Taylor voice from the earlier Mario Party installments.
282px-ParasolDaisy.png

Retro Rosalina would have her Laura Faye Smith voice from Mario Kart 8 that a certain user loathes with every fiber of their being.
conceptstylerosalina_firstrevisionrelease_byvinfre_by_vinfreild-d80k2lo.png

Okay so it's her concept art and not a true retro version. Sue me.

As for Pauline, I don't know if that "Help help!" voice clip from the Game Boy Donkey Kong was even done by a person or created electronically.
Donkey2.jpg

J & Siph said:
I've thought longer than anyone probably should about if Nintendo ever did got "retro Mario characters" like in Sonic Generations or whatever. Particularly the girls' looks and voices.

Retro Daisy would have her Jen Taylor voice from the earlier Mario Party installments.
282px-ParasolDaisy.png

Retro Rosalina would have her Laura Faye Smith voice from Mario Kart 8 that a certain user loathes with every fiber of their being.

As for Pauline, I don't know if that "Help help!" voice clip from the Game Boy Donkey Kong was even done by a person or created electronically.
Donkey2.jpg
Not in the same way of the Sonic franchise, and not sure about her voice, but we definitely got a retro Daisy:

SMRL-Line-Peach-Daisy.gif

Speaking of Sonic:
The Phantom Ruby was actually an artifact that King Boo created as a backup power source (Master of Illusions, remember?). However, it landed in Sonic's universe during one of the Olympic outings and Classic Sonic's during Sonic Generations.
Yes, the Olympic games are canon.
Don't think about it too hard.

ThatGuy62 said:
Qayin said:
Bowser kidnapping a beautiful princess had hints of adult situtations (I'm talking harems, concubines, *bleep* children) that weren't allowed.
Kinda odd considering Bowser's entire plan in Sunshine was basically telling Junior that Peach was his mom. Add in Peach's response and people seem to seriously consider the third scenario.

I'm sure that can be pinned on Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting. Considering Peach is apparently supposed to be surprised Bowser has children (which to me shows the Koopaling retcon either already happened or had its seeds planted), I figure the idea was Peach is in disbelief at Bowser Jr.'s words (like her thinking to herself, "What did Bowser tell this poor kid?"). Samantha Kelly's voicing made her sound ditzy, oblivious. Which surely helped spread the meme of Peach being a blonde tramp that Mario is too good for.

Qayin said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Qayin said:

I'm sure that can be pinned on Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting. Considering Peach is apparently supposed to be surprised Bowser has children (which to me shows the Koopaling retcon either already happened or had its seeds planted), I figure the idea was Peach is in disbelief at Bowser Jr.'s words (like her thinking to herself, "What did Bowser tell this poor kid?"). Samantha Kelly's voicing made her sound ditzy, oblivious. Which surely helped spread the meme of Peach being a blonde tramp that Mario is too good for.
I'm not saying I believe it, but many people seem to miss the fact that, factoring the retcon, Peach and Mario had no idea that Bowser was even involved in the Delfino mess, much less that it was his kid (and indeed, the very fact that Bowser even had a son).
Most people take issue with the fact that its technically never denied. Peach never denies it and I've seen people try to rationalize Bowser's response to what Junior says despite it being clear as day what Nintendo was going for.

Qayin said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Qayin said:

I'm sure that can be pinned on Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting. Considering Peach is apparently supposed to be surprised Bowser has children (which to me shows the Koopaling retcon either already happened or had its seeds planted)
This is going a bit far, since the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario Advance 4 more than once stated that the Koopalings were Bowser's children and that Bowser and the Koopalings were the Bowser Family after the release of Super Mario Sunshine. The rewriting of their depiction is a Wii era thing (explicitly started in Super Smash Bros. Brawl), not a GCN era thing.

Bowser Jr. was introduced in Super Mario Sunshine, though, so Peach was surprised at seeing him for the first time and she was gradually realizing everything ("So, you're Bowser's son?").

I like to think that Peach didn't deny it because she was too bewildered by the notion of "this kid thinks I'm his mom". Imagine with me for a moment that Peach's internal monologue in that moment was an endless stream of "wtf"

Mister Wu said:
Qayin said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Qayin said:

I'm sure that can be pinned on Super Mario Sunshine's voice acting. Considering Peach is apparently supposed to be surprised Bowser has children (which to me shows the Koopaling retcon either already happened or had its seeds planted)
This is going a bit far, since the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario Advance 4 more than once stated that the Koopalings were Bowser's children and that Bowser and the Koopalings were the Bowser Family after the release of Super Mario Sunshine. The rewriting of their depiction is a Wii era thing (explicitly started in Super Smash Bros. Brawl), not a GCN era thing.

Bowser Jr. was introduced in Super Mario Sunshine, though, so Peach was surprised at seeing him for the first time and she was gradually realizing everything ("So, you're Bowser's son?").
In fairness, you linked a manual of a Super Mario Bros 3 port. Until recently, Nintendo seemed to go out of their way (or the opposite, technically) to not touch the original storylines.
On another note, as Captain K. Rool, Larry being leader and Marth's trophies in general can attest, Smash trophies aren't exactly a 100% reliable source of info either.
We honestly have no idea of when exactly the retcon took place since the Koopalings were Luigi'd and the few times they did show up in a modern context (Superstar Saga), nothing was mentioned of their relationship to the Bowsers. Their relationship being rewritten is not so much a Wii-era invention moreso that they were barely around for Nintendo to comment on the relationship during the GCN era.

J & Siph said:

282px-ParasolDaisy.png

Donkey2.jpg
I think Judy Strangis would be a good choice for Pauline instead. She voiced her in Saturday Supercade.

The Crate Guy was originally going to give Mario a medal or something, but the Shine Sprites revealed themselves to Mario after being impressed by his box-smashing abilities. He wasn't actually keeping the Shine Sprites.

Similarly, the Tanooki in the boathouse wasn't holding any Shine Sprites, but could summon them using ten blue coins.

The Shine Sprites are implied in-game to be sentient, so this is where these headcanons come from. They appear after Mario accomplishes some sort of impressive task, or by being summoned. Or they're simply hanging out in a hard-to-reach area.

So in the Watermelon Festival, maybe there was a Shine Sprite created when the watermelon was pulverized?

Characters with longer legs were required to have them surgically shortened in order to participate in Mario Kart 7. Waluigi refused, so he couldn't participate.

Waluigi was responsible for all the hacking in Mario Kart Wii, so he was banned for one generation.

Back