Silent Heros

the mario bros have social anxiety

Megadardery said:
Why Playable Mario characters almost never say any line especially in RPG and Platform Games?
The playable character is supposed to be an avatar of you. That's why Mario has no personality; you can fill in the blanks yourself.

I don't know, but Nintendo doesn't realize that every game is better with some Dooo-doo-doo-doo-doo-dooooo! Hey, I love this tune! with some For the glory of the Mushroom Kingdom! on top with That’s it, Donkey Kong! I’m selling you to the zoo! as a side.

I'm sick and tired of the main character being the "avatar", especially in the RPGs. In real life, it would create awkward moments. We should be past that age by now. :(

Mario is fully capable of speaking, just look at Mario in the Nintendo World Store or the Mario Sports Mix interview. Nintendo loves to miss opportunities, this is no exception

Mario Party X said:
I'm sick and tired of the main character being the "avatar", especially in the RPGs. In real life, it would create awkward moments. We should be past that age by now. :(
That's the point: this isn't real life. You may inject your characteristics onto your avatar, but that avatar is going to do things that would probably be impossible for you. Even in games that don't have a "this-is-you" character, the biggest point of gaming in general is to serve as an escape from Earth, from everything in the real world. What's wrong with letting yourself be a part of the escape?

Terriermon said:
That's the point: this isn't real life. You may inject your characteristics onto your avatar, but that avatar is going to do things that would probably be impossible for you. Even in games that don't have a "this-is-you" character, the biggest point of gaming in general is to serve as an escape from Earth, from everything in the real world. What's wrong with letting yourself be a part of the escape?
Then why should characters, especially leading characters have personality in the first place? People like to empathize with characters, especially if the characters have realistic personalities. No, I don't want realism in games, but I like my characters to be likeable and somebody I want to hug in real life. I also inject personalities into characters that already have some sort of personality (Wario's the stupid guy who likes to marry everyone; Peach is a stuck-up jerk who rejects Mario). I'm already letting myself be part of the escape. But, I prefer if a character that has personality rather than my injecting a personality into a character. My Mario's personality conflicts with Nintendo's Mario many times (the Mario I see is nice, but has a low attention span, impulsive, and really hates Wario with a passion. He also enjoys fighting and kicking Donkey Kong in the groin.) Nintendo's Mario is a happy-go-lucky person.

In RPGs, I don't like how NPCs are the one doing all the talking. It's still awkward.

Wario's the stupid guy who likes to marry everyone? What? I know what you and your sister think of Wario, but where did you get that?

Btw, my Wario is a less competent Lara Croft (and less attractive, too).

I don't know. We've been injecting our characters with personality for a lot of years now, and Wario's always this crazy, idiotic, goofy, smelly dude.

Luigi: So, Mario, do you know how a Rubik's cube works?
Mario: Ummm, no. Oh, oh, is it that thing where you have to use a can opener on it?
Luigi: Uh, no. *sniffs* Ew, Wario is coming!
Wario: Hiiiiii, guys! *stares at Mario with heart eyes*
Mario: Dude, you stink. We can smell you, like, a mile away.
Wario: I love you, Mario! I put on Wario perfume today on this special occasion! I made this perfume just for YOU! You know why? Because I'm gonna MARRY YOU! And after that, I'm gonna marry Luigi! But not before I marry Waluigi. I even wrote marriage proposals to you. Wanna read them?

Giving characters personality adds a new dimension to them, I feel. And Mario's not totally an avatar. Why do fan works often depict Mario as the impulsive, food-loving, and a bit arrogant guy?

My brother and I gave the Mario characters a lot of different, strange, and hilarious personality's.

Mario-We sort of made him an anti-hero, in that he is lazy, fat, and kind of an a**hole at times. However he is still good at heart and will always be there to help his friends.

Luigi-We had Luigi become the unlucky voice of reason. In that he is more kind and helpful then Mario but he has terrible luck and bad things always happen to him. He is still the same timid Luigi though :)

Peach-We turned Peach into a bit of a werido, in that she is completely obsessed with Mario and madly in love with him (Mario doesn't return the feelings with same intensity). Oh and she is obsessed with baking cakes for Mario ;D.

Daisy-We turned Daisy into a bada** of sorts, she can take care of herself and isn't afraid to give some minions a beating. She is of course with Luigi and is totally the dominant one in the relationship and can make him do anything but she still loves him.

Toad-Oh god, we made Toad into a huge freak, he is basically Mario's number one fan and pretty much worships him. His whole life revolves around Mario and Mario can't stand Toad finding him an annoying werido. Also we made it so Toad can't say Luigi's name he can only call him "Green Guy" and Luigi hates Toad for that.

Bowser-We didn't change Bowser to much, he is still the same incompetent Koopa King and always fails to defeat Mario. But instead of Peach he loves Rosalina but he doesn't try to capture her because she will basically destroy him ;D. We also made Bowser have a huge fear of Daisy, because we say he tried to kidnap her once but she beat him worse then Mario ever did and so now he has a huge fear of Daisy ;D.

We did the same with a lot of the other characters but it would take hours to post all of them.

Huh, that's interesting. Your Mario overlaps with my Mario somewhat. My Toad, however, is a cynical grouch that can barely tolerate Mario, but he's still friends. His only salvation is Toadette; just the thought of her makes him happy. He frowns most of the time.

Daisy is an aggressive woman with a taste for violence. She is the true ruler of Mushroom Kingdom because Peach constantly gets kidnapped. She strikes fear into everyone's hearts. Luckily, she's the only one that's immune to basically anything including Wario's feared smelliness and powers, so when she eliminates Wario, Wario is truly destroyed, and he won't respawn for some time.

Anyway these characters have the ability to have very colorful personalities, and Nintendo is just missing the boat. Silencing them just creates a hollow shell for them, and that makes me a bit sad.

Not really necessary in platform games. All characters have no line.

However, it's alittle boring in RPGs when Mario has no reaction to anyone who talks to him.

Again, I also think it's a bit awkward. People are essentially talking to a pet goldfish. Yeah, the goldfish reacts by staring at you and trying to bump into you, but that's it.

And now mine.

Mario is an overall (no pun intendo) nice guy. He's the more impulsive one, and he will act without giving a second thought. Everybody loves him. He is a big celebrity in the Mushroom Kingdom. Everyone knows his name.

Luigi is the exact opposite of Mario (except the part about being nice). He is very sick of nobody knowing who he is. He has petitioned several times to get Nintendo to do the Year of Luigi, but Nintendo kept rejecting his requests because nobody knew who he was. Then in 2013, Miyamoto finally realized "Hey, who's that guy that follows Mario everywhere? Maybe we should make a whole year dedicated to him. *chuckles*". Of course, his employees took what he said literally and viola!

Princess Peach Toadstool is a dirty slut. She has banged everyone and everything in the Mushroom Kingdom. People just call her Princess to be ironic. Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach, Peach kidnaps Bowser. She has Mario believe otherwise because Mario and Bowser fighting makes her randy.

Yoshi is essentially the Kenny of the Marioverse. Whenever he dies, he comes back and nobody even remembers he died.

Toad is pretty much like pre-movie Spongebob. He is kinda stupid and kinda naive.

Bowser is a very incompetent villain. Nobody takes him seriously anymore.

I usually depict Mario as the braver, somewhat impulsive hero who has a crush on Princess Peach (like most people here). He has a tendency to overeat, and relies on brawn more than brain, but he is still very kind and empathetic (when he feels like it, anyways).

Luigi is the brains of the bunch, tending to try and reason with the enemy instead of fight. This, coupled with his intense phasmophobia, makes him come across as cowardly.

I like to see Toad as a crazy nutso.* He's really hyperactive and paranoid, thinking that everything is out to get him. He has a habit of doing things for no reason, like building factories that don't make anything (Toad's Factory, I'm looking at you).

Princess Peach is the Princess Who Doesn't Do Anything. All of her subjects are deluded into thinking she's a wonderful ruler, when really, all she ever does is bake cakes. She's incredibly girly and optimistic, believing that everyone in the world is good (which is probably why she gets kidnapped all the time).

Yoshi switches between being an animal to someone who constantly eats everything in sight, depending on which game I'm playing.

Bowser is the one who likes to think that he's the most powerful being in the universe, but in reality, he's probably the opposite. And though he doesn't want to admit it, he's an enormous softie.

*I do not mean to make this description offensive to anyone, and any relation to an existing mental condition is purely coincidental. Please don't take this the wrong way.

ONTOPIC: It's a shame that everyone's potential is wasted, but I don't think it's going to change anytime soon. If I recall correctly, Shigeru Miyamoto himself said:

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
I don't want to criticize any other designers, but I have to say that many of the people involved in this industry - directors and producers - are trying to make their games more like movies. They are longing to make movies rather than making videogames.
...Implying that he thinks that character development and intricate plots are exclusive to movies. So unless Nintendo turns into a movie industry, I don't think anyone's going to change.

You know I looked at this title, and thought there was a new Mario game called "Silent Heroes"

wouldn't that be cool, some badass Mario game called Silent Heroes, I don't know what the premise would be, but it would be badass!

Anyway, I think the reason that they don't talk would probably be due to Nintendo avoiding them saying anything bad

Or perhaps they just liked the whole Silent Mario thing

One of the Mario franchises "charms" -if you want to say that- is characters with limited dialogue or plain silent.

Emil Castagnier. Why weren't you like this? Annoying POS.

I have a few more for the other characters

Bowser Jr.- He is an annoying bratty little a**hole, he always calls everyone "punk" and thinks he can do no wrong. Bowser doesn't even like him, he just buys him toys so he will stop annoying him. He also has a huge crush on Daisy but Daisy hates him.

Wario- He loves to annoy and harass people, mostly by farting at them and being gross. He has his own evil company "Wario Evil Inc." and plans to take over the Mushroom world.

Waluigi- An evil genius, Waluigi is also an inventor and builds evil devices to whoever pays him to. He is saving up the money to start his own evil business.

Rosalina- On the surface she seems like a kind and caring figure who is happy taking care of her Lumas. However she has a shady past she would rather keep hidden. She can't stand Peach, finding her the most incompetent monarch to have ever ruled the Mushroom Kingdom. She also has a secret crush on Daisy (I know everyone loves Daisy :D) and nobody knows about it. She is neutral in her feelings toward the Mario Bros., preferring Luigi to Mario because Luigi is kind. She hates Bowser with a passion finding him the worst creature to have ever lived.

Yoshi- Mario's pet, he is sort of like Gary on Spongebob in that he is very smart but he can only say his name yet everyone understands him. He does not like Luigi often growling at him and sometimes attempting to eat him.

Toadsworth- The de-facto ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom, due to Peach's getting kidnapped all the time and neglecting her duties to bake cakes and write love poems about Mario. He is extremely old (100+ years) and often falls asleep at inopportune moments.

Toadette- Toad's wife, she is sort of neglected by Toad because of his obsession about Mario. She passes the time by cooking and cleaning her home and reading trashy romance novels.

Back