NINTENDO NEWS THREAD

Re: NINTENDO NEWS THREAD (E3 Presentation Supposedly 30 Minutes Long)

Rip Intellectuals of Miiverse

infinite8 said:
It is nice to give the Wii U an update for patch fixes, but the bad news is

There are no patch "fixes" at all. All they did was remove a browser exploit used to load mods. This is not a "nice" thing to do.

i dont see what's wrong or unexpected about a developer patching out ways to hack their system

Because who benefits from it, exactly? Maybe to curb piracy? Even though there are plenty of other ways to play pirated games?

Baby Luigi said:
Because who benefits from it, exactly

nintendo, that's why they did it.

even if it's not the only way to pirate shit, do you just expect them to sit around and do nothing?

Kumiko Oumae said:
do you just expect them to sit around and do nothing?

Yes, because it's the fucking Wii U.

believe it or not the wii u is still a system that's actively receiving new games, is being marketed in stores (at least over here), and has running online services.

Yeah, but Wii U production has pretty much been stopped and Nintendo themselves has stopped supporting it a long time ago, with no new Nintendo-published games coming out for it. The upcoming games I've seen are thinly stranded and few. The Switch came out, yes, but no console's death has been immediate as soon as the new system comes out, and with the Switch around, there's little reason to continue supporting it in Nintendo's perspective.

Nintendo pretty much stopped caring about that system mid-way through its life cycle anyway. And with this recent update doesn't benefit the regular customer in the slightest, not even Nintendo themselves would arguably benefit from it in any meaningful way, I can describe it as ultimately superficial.

i mean if it was that superficial they wouldnt have done it lol. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has enough strategists to know what to spend their development time on.

No, they had done superficial updates in the past, the most notable being Wii update 4.2, which was their most pathetic attempt at blocking out Homebrew that not only hackers found an exploit soon after, but they bricked unmodded consoles as well. They really don't know what they're doing, and you're giving them way too much credit.

And the better strategy is? Leaving the scene alone. Considering that any attempt to stifle attempts consists of more exploits to be found. Hell, with this system update, all they did was got rid of loadiine. Users can opt out of updates with a custom DNS, easily, while other exploits, including permanent Homebrew applications like Haxchi are completely unaffected.

Along with a blight of other problems, Nintendo strategists usually don't know what they're doing most of the time, especially with modding, custom fangames, etc are involved.

I also love that your only argument is that "Nintendo knows what they're doing, so it's not superficial" without explaining what exactly is not superficial about their action. Surely if it wasn't superficial, we would have seen the benefits by now.

okay now you're just being unreasonable. There's been a history of this on the 3ds and they have been partly successful at locking out common types of flashcarts at the time they started going more strongly against piracy (iwata has been quoted on this one time, i have other things to do rn so im not digging it up).

I'm not giving them way too much credit, I'm just saying this is the business decisions of a let's say pretty big company and I don't think either of us are knowledgeable enough about what is going on behind the scenes there to judge how superficial or unecessary of a move this was.

I mean I'm not against hacking. I'm not saying this is a thing they absolutely should've done. But from a publisher point of view, I think this makes a lot of sense, and you can hardly disagree with that.

I hardly think I'm being unreasonable, considering that Nintendo is one of the few companies that stamps out fan-made things like emulation, mods, fan-made games, let's play videos, while plenty of other companies out there would allow for such things. If there was any good behind-the-scene reasoning, then it would have been more apparent, because it's funny how Nintendo partakes in these actions for unclear reasons while others don't care enough to take an active stance against it, or they realize that attempting to curb the scene is a futile attempt, so they don't do it.

Until evidence of any good reason to block out loadiine.ovh surfaces, I don't think it's unreasonable to call out Nintendo on their actions, especially when people could play Wii U games easily, Nintendo continues to exist and continues to make success after success even with loadiine being a usable gate, and the Wii U being superceded by the Switch.

I mean, I understand the shutting down of Miiverse, at least. Miiverse takes servers and admins to maintain. That costs a considerable sum of money that could be used for other purposes. I understand if Nintendo pulls the plug on online services for the Wii U. But what does Nintendo gain from patching out loadiine? I don't see any meaningful benefits from that. At all.

Just to make people like you upset
i'd say it worked rather well

If they wanted to make people upset, even that's superficial, they could just continue continuing their Virtual Console practices of having an utter crap of a library or shutting down more fangames, they would make more people upset that way and they'd be more productive in both ways, not doing anything in the Virtual Console's case and people really being unable to play derivatives of their IPs.

Also, I could just continue playing my game without needing to update the system. I'm more pissed about the reasoning itself rather than they actively locked out my ability to play on my custom-created content.

Shigeru Miyamoto is 65 today! Happy birthday!

TFW when only slightly older than my dad

TFW only slightly younger than my grandpa

oh shit are we getting an end-of-year dire-

*sees newest post*

eca.png

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/949400851126325254
Talkatoo has a secret! Could it be a new Direct? Could it be Odyssey DLC? Could it be the year of Birdo? ... Or is it just bird day?

Well that's certainly qualified as a Tweet.

It doesn't confirm anything new though

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/953567671882149888
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/17-01-2018-1328637.html

Nintendo on a roll with these surprise announcements. I'm fine with that.

This special video will announce "new ways to play" games with the use of the IR camera, etc.

Nintendo Switch's own "Touch Generation"-type games, I guess?

The more the merrier. *Crosses fingers for Pokemon Ranger 4*

tumblr_p337zjKyuv1w6z3n8o1_540.png

Miitomo is ending this year, I see people(rather passive aggressively) call it the thing that people played for a week and then 3 people kept on playing it, but I met my girlfriend through this app and thus I can never look upon with hate, farewell .... in 4 months.

Back