A Legend of Zelda: A link between Worlds

Just completed the Ice Ruins.

I see what you guys mean when you said it's probably the most difficult. I was never anywhere close to dying, but I wasn't at full health the whole time. I missed two treasure chests, but I looked it up, and it looks like they only have 100 rupees in them.

Also, did anyone else realise the ice dungeon and Turtle Rock swapped places in this game?

I used Red Pins for Heart Pieces, Blue Pins for crab dudes & Yellow Pins for things I wasn't sure if had anything going for it (random caves, minigames, etc.)

Purple Yoshi said:
Just completed the Ice Ruins.

I see what you guys mean when you said it's probably the most difficult. I was never anywhere close to dying, but I wasn't at full health the whole time. I missed two treasure chests, but I looked it up, and it looks like they only have 100 rupees in them.

Also, did anyone else realise the ice dungeon and Turtle Rock swapped places in this game?

I actually tried to do the ice dungeon first in my original run, but I accidentally came across Turtle Rock instead and did that in its place. Only when I entered the Treacherous Tower area of Death Mountain (I accessed this side first) did I realize the positions swapped.

Kleptoad said:
Purple Yoshi said:
Can I just say, trying to get all the save points (and an easy access point to any dungeon, so I can do them whenever), is surprisingly difficult.
That path to get to the Ice Cavern...boy, that was difficult. Those fire-breathing lion enemies are so hard! Their range is ridiculously far, and they drain your hearts incredibly quickly if you get caught in the fire.
ha you think that's hard just wait till you actually do the ice cavern

Ice ruins were not hard at all compared to the Ice temple from A link to the past.

Did anyone else find all 100 mai mai's and master the Great spin? I did.

Dimitri said:
Yes, without the use of a guide too. It makes me happy that I can finally brag about getting every one of a collectible without using any guides.

Although, they weren't all that hard to find to be honest. I came across all of them while I was just walking around, whether it be from seeing them or hearing them. I had to get the Pegasus Boots before getting them though. Which I didn't get until I'd reached the final dungeon. oops.

Dimitri said:

The Nutcrackin355 said:
Yes, without the use of a guide too. It makes me happy that I can finally brag about getting every one of a collectible without using any guides.

Although, they weren't all that hard to find to be honest. I came across all of them while I was just walking around, whether it be from seeing them or hearing them. I had to get the Pegasus Boots before getting them though. Which I didn't get until I'd reached the final dungeon. oops.

Basically this in its entirety.

Well, I just beat the game.

Can I just say, what the hell? It doesn't save after you beat the game? I couldn't find the Red Mail when I was in the dungeon, so I thought I could just go back after beating the boss, but noooo, you have to do the whole dungeon over again. That's really annoying. (OK, it's not that hard to get it, but it's still annoying having to go through the dungeon again.)

So, yeah, I beat the boss with the Blue Mail. Not that it was difficult. Unfortunately, I'd accidently spoiled a bit of stuff, like how Hilda is evil (sorta) and Ravio is alternate Link.

Although we never do find out what's in his bag, do we?

I liked that they tried to mix up the formula a bit, especially because no one was expecting a proper story.

Purple Yoshi said:

Can I just say, what the hell? It doesn't save after you beat the game? I couldn't find the Red Mail when I was in the dungeon, so I thought I could just go back after beating the boss, but noooo, you have to do the whole dungeon over again. That's really annoying. (OK, it's not that hard to get it, but it's still annoying having to go through the dungeon again.)

So, yeah, I beat the boss with the Blue Mail. Not that it was difficult. Unfortunately, I'd accidently spoiled a bit of stuff, like how Hilda is evil (sorta) and Ravio is alternate Link.

I liked that they tried to mix up the formula a bit, especially because no one was expecting a proper story.

This is Zelda after all, what did you actually expect?

I actually went back for the Red Mail weeks after I beat the game, mainly because I forgot about that big chest I didn't get until someone brought it up.

It's most likely just rupees in the bag.

Glaceon said:
Purple Yoshi said:

This is Zelda after all, what did you actually expect?

I actually went back for the Red Mail weeks after I beat the game, mainly because I forgot about that big chest I didn't get until someone brought it up.

It's most likely just rupees in the bag.

Well, you don't normally get any items in the final dungeon that are actually usable outside of the dungeon. Oh, well.

Really? That's a letdown. Considering he said "it's more important than life itself", I expected it to be something plot-relevant. I guess it's just a joke on Ravio's greediness instead. As to why he brought it to the final battle, I have no idea.

Also, I can't figure this out. Why is the triforce split in this game? It wasn't split in ALTTP, and the only one who touched it in between that was Link himself.

I just now realized that you can use those pins on the bottom screen and place them on the minimap..... derp!
To bad I beat the game already, I guess I never really needed to use them anyway.

I feel really stupid now, or should I feel like a boss?

Well, they were just to help you out. Honestly, as long as you remember everything or stumble around a lot, there's no need for those them.

I didn't use the Boomerang at all in this game. What purpose did it serve?

Anyway, my opinions on the game.

People seriously think it's the best Zelda game ever? I don't get it. Sure, it was fun, and didn't have any annoying moments, but it felt more like a small distraction to me, rather than a big epic new game. And I really don't get why people love nonlinearity so much in the Zelda series. ALTTP was never fully nonlinear, they had a specific order they wanted you to go through the dungeons in. And let's be honest, none of the dungeons in ALBW had something that would make a specific other dungeon that much easier, like getting the Cane of Somaria would help with another dungeon in ALTTP.

Item rental was pretty meh to me. It was cool, and I didn't die enough times for it to be frustrating, but having the items available didn't make anything much easier, mostly because the items didn't have much variety. The Hookshot and the boomerang had almost the same purpose, as did the Tornado Rod and the Hammer (at least when fighting overworld enemies). Also, the Sand Rod really wasn't used enough. There weren't enough sandy areas to make it useful (and I prefer how it worked in Spirit Tracks).

I still love the game, don't get me wrong, but I don't get why people say it's their favourite, or how they want all zelda games from now on to be like this. It was a fun little distraction, but I was never emotionally involved in the game.

So I decided to test what happens if I collected the Red Mail in Lorule Castle before the Blue Mail in Swamp Palace. Turns out, I ended up getting the Blue Mail from Lorule Castle, and the Red Mail in the Swamp Palace. They covered that well, apparently.

Glaceon said:
So I decided to test what happens if I collected the Red Mail in Lorule Castle before the Blue Mail in Swamp Palace. Turns out, I ended up getting the Blue Mail from Lorule Castle, and the Red Mail in the Swamp Palace. They covered that well, apparently.

That's interesting...

Homunculus said:
What happens in the other game?

If you skip the Blue Mail going through the Ice Palace, you still get the Red Mail in Ganon's Tower. If you go back to the Ice Palace and then get the Blue Mail, you still obtain it, but you don't wear it.

Back