Sonic Lost World

IGN might not be impressed with it, but from what I've seen, not every review for the game is bad. The reception has been pretty mixed, for the most part. Either way, video game review sites mean nothing to me. I have never, nor will I ever, let those influence my decision on whether or not I purchase certain games. I always use my own judgement by playing demos and/or watching video footage. If I like what I see or play, then it's an automatic buy for me, regardless of what sites like IGN or whatever else has to say about it.

Jeez the IGN reviewer is obsessed with speed. Maybe Sonic is taking a new direction and review the game for what it is rather than what you want it to be.

Northern Verve said:
A Sonic game gets mixed reviews. Big Whoop :P

Still getting the game. (There is some positive reviews though)
ign and gamespot both given the HD version of Sonic Unleashed lower scores than this and then most people who picked thst gsme up really liked it.

porplemontage said:
Jeez the IGN reviewer is obsessed with speed. Maybe Sonic is taking a new direction

I wouldn't even call it a new direction, as the Genesis games weren't all that focused on speed and the Dimps-developed games after Sonic Advance are frequently criticized for focusing too much on that aspect. Goes to show how much marketing can fuck up with a franchise's perception.

Looking at footage of the game, the level design does seem rather clumsy, what's with stopping your momentum to hunt animal capsules that aren't especially well-hidden or challenging to get to, and the near-constant changes in camera angles (lol @ the ball-rolling section, too). Maybe it'd look better in the hand of a more competent player, though?

ONM gave the Wii U version 80%, with the bad point being Sonic's lack of control at high speeds and they gave the 3DS version 79% with its bad point being some level designs not working well, like water and snowboarding.

Solar Blaze said:
IGN might not be impressed with it, but from what I've seen, not every review for the game is bad. The reception has been pretty mixed, for the most part. Either way, video game review sites mean nothing to me. I have never, nor will I ever, let those influence my decision on whether or not I purchase certain games. I always use my own judgement by playing demos and/or watching video footage. If I like what I see or play, then it's an automatic buy for me, regardless of what sites like IGN or whatever else has to say about it.
This. I read IGN reviews but I don't always agree with them. I'll get Lost World at some point.

He looks fast enough to me, though I agree that the level design looks a little clumsy.

I know, I've seen gameplay of the game, and it doesn't look THAT bad. A 7,7.5 I'd think, but not a 5.8. Ah, well. It's still probably fun. Hopefully.

And this is weird, wasn't the whole point of this game to try and make a 3D Sonic game that didn't use way too many scripted segments as a way of making it fast?

Also, people kept making the "Sonic Cycle" joke, and I was like "Dude, that doesn't exist anymore since Colours and Generation came out. Sonic games aren't terrible anymore."

See, the thing is, Nintendo is involved with this. And knowing that, comments about clumsy level design really take new meaning, and I feel really worried about getting this.

Oh God. To me, those are some stupid reasons to be giving a game a low score.

But considering Sonic is accustomed to having a boost in modern games, it figures people will start whining.

Also, Sonic is supposed to be the fastest thing alive. So, if he's not living up to that...what's the point of playing it?

Oh well. Can't please all 100 billion people.

Nabber said:
See, the thing is, Nintendo is involved with this. And knowing that, comments about clumsy level design really take new meaning, and I feel really worried about getting this.

Nintendo was not involved in the development in this game.

Junko Enoshima said:
Also, Sonic is supposed to be the fastest thing alive. So, if he's not living up to that...what's the point of playing it?

Sonic is not about speed, it's about platforming with speed as a reward for playing well.

Smugleaf said:
Sonic is not about speed

According to the people complaining about his lack of decent speed; it's all about speed.

I was mocking those who didn't want to buy the game because Sonic's speed sucks.(seen people who said they wouldn't on the intranetz)

Shitty level design is another thing entirely.(saw Wii U footage. awful)

So you need a certain number of animals to unlock certain levels. Damn it, I was hoping that losing momentum to go after capsules I didn't care about was optional.

Mario4Ever said:
So you need a certain number of animals to unlock certain levels. Damn it, I was hoping that losing momentum to go after capsules I didn't care about was optional.
didn't you know? playing levels is the optional part

The game is out today, won't be picking it up until about the afternoon though. And probably will have to post about it sometime tomorrow for my first impressions. I'm excited to play it though ^^

That is something I want to hear, the game does slightly interest me

Alright first impressions time

I'm actually really enjoying the game so far. I already like this kind of game style more so then the one used for Colors and Generations. I like how those were much more improved versions of Unleashed's Day stages engine. But for some reason I kinda didn't like the whole boost thing all that much. And while this game is definitely slower them most Sonic games as a result. I kinda like having Sonic do a walking speed and have a running button to hold down when you really need it. And I like the return of the Spin Dash at last, they didn't give Modern Sonic the ability to do so in Generations just so that Classic Sonic has his unique ability. But we know Sonic's always been able to Spin Dash. They didn't take that away from Sonic Adventure and onward. Which is Modern Sonic's first appearence.

The level variety is very neat. And playing the game, couldn't help but think of Mario levels that kinda used these concepts. And I don't mean that in a way that the game rips off Mario or anything. Because the gameplay style is still overall different from any Mario game. When the game is at it's best, I believe this game is Sonic's equivalent to Super Mario Galaxy. Maybe the April Fools joke that Sonic cameoed in Super Mario Galaxy 2 inspired something.

However I give that it's not perfect. There's some difficulty spikes here and there that are a bit jarring. Going relatively well for the first five levels and then meeting Desert Ruins Act 2 where it's an on-rails level essentially with Sonic running and if you don't turn at the right times you instantly die by running into a wall. There's other difficult spots too at times, but the one that really annoyed me and probably is my least favorite level so far is one of the Silent Forest acts where there's a searchlight that if it catches Sonic. You instantly die because the Zeti of that world has some bats that carry you off or something. The only way to escape it is hiding behind a giant owl and also use the Rhythm wisp. There's a part of the chase where you have to quickly activate the Rhythm wisp before the light gets you. And it can be frustrating when it gets you as you try to press the wisp button on the gamepad.

Actually on the wisps, what surprised me is that for the most part Wisps aren't necessarily required. There's ways to go through most of the levels that don't require using wisps. Granted there's still a few required Wisp places like the aforementioned Rhythm thing. But otherwise Wisps being used to carry you through the game is not necessarily at the center like it was in Colors. And I like that alot, hearing the news about how Wisps might be a permanent entry in the Sonic series now had me worried that some of the games would require wisps like Colors did. But as long as they're implemented like they are in Lost World. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Another thing I love about this games is the character interaction. The chemistry with Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and even with the two robots Orbot and Cubot are wonderful. This game even ups the drama a bit in places. I won't spoil what it is though.

Overall, I'm having fun with this game. I still have yet to beat the 2nd Zavok fight. I knock him to the edge but I have no idea what to do. It seems both Zavok boss battles are a bit clunky, as his first one had me having trouble keeping on the Snake thing that you're supposed to homing attack the sections until you reach Zavok at the head of it. But I hope to finish the story today.

EDIT: I looked up how to beat the Zavok boss battle. Apparently there's a Mega Lock sort of thing? That kinda came out of nowhere. But anyway, hope to beat the last world and whatever is the final level/boss is today.

EDIT2: Also this game isn't too forgiving with the lives given 100 rings don't give you an extra life. But there is a way to 1-Up grind. Go to Tropical Coast Act 1, and get to a section where Sonic's hopping on clouds. There should be plenty of easy 1-ups as long as you can aim Sonic well on each cloud platform. Once you have all the 1-Ups, purposely make Sonic fall off and die. You will be set back to a checkpoint with the cloud section and you will then be able to pick up more 1-ups. Rinse and repeat until you're satisfied with the amount of lives. Just make sure that you finish the level when you're done. Or else you will have no gained lives and you just wasted time, I learned that the hard way when I grinded up to 40 and I quit to the level select. I had 4 again when I got back. But after finishing the level, the lives are there. There's some levels that may need a 1-Up grind to prevent as much frustration.

Finished the story last night.

Just want to give you guys some tips to the last world. It's really important that you 1-Up grind like I said in the previous post.

Because I seriously grinded up to the max (99 lives) and by the time I beat the story. I had only 56 left. So unless you want to constantly get frustrated with game overs. I suggest you 1-Up grind in Tropical Coast Act 1. Because that last world is a doozy.

When he's huge and chasing after you. Your first instinct is to just run to the top right? Nope, you're suppose to slam down these bricks and make them fall on him enough times to defeat him. If you just run to the top, you're screwed

So after playing the demos of both, I've come to the conclusion that the 3DS version has better gameplay, but holy hell, those cutscenes are terrible.

So I played the Wii U version of this at my friend's house yesterday. We were both playing for the first time, so we switched on and off.

The game seemed decent enough. Some parts felt like they dragged on a bit. It felt a lot like Nintendo was reusing ideas from their previous games and trying to put them in a different context, which was okay. The hole cylindrical level thing doesn't actually have much of an effect on the gameplay, besides the level itself being in a straight line. I noticed that while there were some alternate paths, there weren't really any rewards for taking one route and in general I could just speed through the whole level without missing anything.

So, some Yoshi's Island DLC was revealed for the game, and some Zelda DLC was probably teased. Thoughts?

Sno-Winger said:
So, some Yoshi's Island DLC was revealed for the game, and some Zelda DLC was probably teased. Thoughts?

Nintendo and Sega have now officially fulfilled every fanboys wet dream.

I've played the DLC. It's a short level that is basically just fan service, but it introduces some new ideas.

Back