Equestria Girls (MLP spin-off)

yeah it's pretty insulting to Spike, really

Yes, I'd say making Spike a dog is a huge mistake. I could actually go on a rant on why it's terrible that Spike is a dog. Due to the implications.

Sylveon said:
Xerneas said:
I thought it was cute how Spike is a dog.
I was hoping he'd be human since he's twilight's "lil' bro" in some sort of way.
wouldn't that imply that everything that entered the mirror would become human though...

Johnny Bravo said:
Sylveon said:
Xerneas said:
I thought it was cute how Spike is a dog.
I was hoping he'd be human since he's twilight's "lil' bro" in some sort of way.
wouldn't that imply that everything that entered the mirror would become human though...
oh please.

I believe that the animals in the mlp:fim universe would still have stayen animals.

but ponies are animals...

but yeah this is the problem with trying to apply a pony world to a human world? cause I guess different types of ponies and stuff would be different races but then Spike becomes a dog

to be fair, Spike is pretty much the most intelligent dragon in the show

Gundam Tanaka said:
so wait let me get this straight

they're making a movie that's going to be a SPIN-OFF that is an EXTREMELY AWFUL HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA which will most likely make people think bronies are even weirder than they already seem

CLT9qLD.gif

Well, again, as I said earlier on in this thread:

The target audience are little girls.

Not bronies.

Little girls.

It's a shitty highschool drama because that's what little girls like. It's based on fashion because that's what little girls like. It doesn't follow canon because little girls don't give two shits about that. It's fine and dandy that bronies will watch this and whatever, but they are not the target audience.

well the thing is by this point the target audience is supposed to be bronies, since the studio is aware of who is watching this and they're trying to please them. and to be fair, the fandom probably influenced the idea of "human ponies" anyway

My main problem with Spike as a dog is that it implies that those who came up with the idea think of Spike as Twilight's pet. When Spike is actually more like Twilight's sibling/surrogate son/co-worker/etc.

Gundam Tanaka said:
well the thing is by this point the target audience is supposed to be bronies, since the studio is aware of who is watching this and they're trying to please them. and to be fair, the fandom probably influenced the idea of "human ponies" anyway

No, you're not listening.

The target audience is not the bronies, it's little girls. Sure, there are nods and subtle jokes meant for the bronies to acknowledge that they are a fandom, but the show is not geared towards bronies, it's geared towards little girls.

But yeah SM is totally right, Spike is the best pony

Dozla said:
And yet, something makes me want to watch this. I don't know whether it's because I want to see what it's like, or if I just want to watch it to point out it's flaws, or whether deep down I actually like this. I can't tell, it's too soon to tell. Don't hate me.

Don't worry. It's called "Schadenfreude".

Personally I don't care if it's canon or not. I'm going to watch it. It was made by the same staff as the show and Daniel Ingram did the music, so hell, I bet I'll enjoy it.

Out of all the posts in this thread I agree with Politoad's the most but I thought I'd point this out anyway:

Smashgoom202 said:
Northern Verve said:
There's nothing that points to this being directly canon with the main series.
...Did you see the first few seconds of the trailer? How it's CLEARLY pony Twilight and all her friends there, and how pony Twilight goes through a mirror and ends up in that human world?

Now what frustrates me is that this HAS to be canon now, and now, for some weird reason, I WANT it to be more connected, because otherwise, why even have that part at the beginning? Maybe it's my inner nerd getting the better of me.
This is completely illogical. What you're saying doesn't make sense. How is the show automatically canonical to the series (assuming the series even has a canon) just because they're appearing as ponies? Until it's referenced in the main series, there's absolutely zero evidence in favor of it being canonical.

I guess sometimes I forget this is a forum where people actually believe the Mario movie and Mario cartoons are canon.

it doesn't really matter anyway though since my parents would never take me to see this anyway

I'm going to see it whenever/however it comes online. If I have to wait for it to be recorded when it airs live on the Hub then so be it. But I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to have a decent quality leak onto the internet.

All I know is I don't want to pay money to see this.

In my honest opinion, my first impression: I think it's the dumbest idea ever. The ponies should stay ponies, the other animals shouldn't turn to other animals. Period

But if this thing turns out just as good as the show, then maybe I'll reconsider it

>Spike a talking dog

What's the story Spike?
What's this your dreaming of?
Such big imagination for such a little pup.
What's the story Spike?
Do you think it's worth a look?
It kinda seems familiar like a story from a book.
Shake a leg now Spike let's wag another tail.
Sniffin' out adventure with Spike on the trail.
Come on Spike.
What's the story Spike?

Beat said:
I don't get what's the problem with Spike being a dog, it's not like he can't be a talking dog.
It's more that it's rather degrading that an intelligent being gets turned into a mere pet, which he is far from?

Beat said:
I don't get what's the problem with Spike being a dog, it's not like he can't be a talking dog.

I think the problem is that, in the original show, Spike is considered a person, rather than a creature equivalent to our definition of an animal. Making him a dog, even though he is not any less sapient than Twilight Sparkle or the other ponies, carries very strange implications. It makes it seem like ponies are the one supreme race, and other cultures, such as dragons, are merely lower life forms.

It's a bit of overthinking for a show like this, but I can see how this would bother someone who is into the show.

Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Northern Verve said:
Smashgoom202 said:
I can actually say that after watching the trailer several times, while I still think the high school premise and the cliches that come with it are definitely a step back and need to be worked around, I feel like I'm more interested and curious about Equestria Girls then anything, particularly in how it ties into the main series. I know the main series will continue, but I'm also curious in how they'll be connected, since this is apparently now canon with the main series.

There's nothing that points to this being directly canon with the main series.
...Did you see the first few seconds of the trailer? How it's CLEARLY pony Twilight and all her friends there, and how pony Twilight goes through a mirror and ends up in that human world?

Now what frustrates me is that this HAS to be canon now, and now, for some weird reason, I WANT it to be more connected, because otherwise, why even have that part at the beginning? Maybe it's my inner nerd getting the better of me.

I'm pretty sure it can be established as something seperate even if it begins with Pony Twilight. If it's something that Meghan herself said is separate from Season 4, why should we start thinking it's canon to the show?
Then why even have that bit at the beginning at all? Why not cut out the middle man? Seriously, if they didn't even have that, I'd be fine, but now the line's been blurred!

^why do you even care if its canon at all, if the main series isnt ending just watch that and dont rag on this for literally no reason at all

anyway guys i have a theory

sunset shimmer is actually twilight sparkle's human counterpart in this universe. since twilight sparkle in this is actually just pony twilight sparkle turned into a human and all the ponies that didn't go through the portal have human counterparts in this world (and seem to be friendly/familiar with twilight to boot), the only logical conclusion is that she's her counterpart who did a personality 180 and got a dye job/parallel name change

Severa said:
^why do you even care if its canon at all, if the main series isnt ending just watch that and dont rag on this for literally no reason at all
I think it's my inner nerd trying to keep the continuity straight.

Severa said:

Because we like over analyzing things.

Back