FTG's art

That particular piece was done in Paint Tool SAI, as with anything else I've done in a similar art style. I just use the brushes in that program.
It's not just that one. Pretty much every 2D art you did, including the recent ones, have that nice gradual gradient colouring. I am using GIMP normally, so if there's a way to do it, that would be quite helpful.

Thank you for reading.

I use Illustrator for most of them, with 3 main layers: line art, gradients for shading, and solid colors. I start with the lines, then fill in solid colors in a new layer below that. Finally I put a layer between them and draw the shapes to fill with a gradient (most actually use the same color but fade from opaque to transparent, appearing as the darker shade color fading into the lighter solid color. I can go into more detail if needed later when I'm not on my phone 😂

I made a 3D render of one of my favorite underrated childhood toys. The NakNaks were collectible figures that could click into different positions such as the one depicted here, and there were many interesting printed designs as well as combinations of hand/foot shapes (hook, toe, or neither)

The instruction manuals advertised upcoming designs that would actually change up the shape of the figure itself- such as short fat ones or tall lanky ones- but those never got released since Hasbro discontinued the NakNak brand in 2003 😭

The one shown here is Chameleon-nak, the "rare" holographic figure. I put it in quotations because, while it's presented as a rare figure, it actually wasn't that rare, though there were many different versions of it that, if narrowed that far, could be considered rare. Chameleon-nak could only be found as part of the Wave Rocker playset, and never appeared in any figure packs. Still, he was special enough that kid-me made him the king of my Naks.

chameleon_nak_by_fawfulthegreat64_ddmlfld-fullview.png

Wickedclownmodel.jpg

I improved my NakNak model when making this model of the unreleased Wicked Clown-Nak. Complete with a remaster of the sticker design-- or at least the best I could do in a vector program. The model now accurately has the openings & grooves that would be on a real NakNak figure - as opposed to the rather half-assed job I did on the above Chameleon-Nak model. I plan to make one of the Basketnak in the near future- the other unique shape that never got released, as shown in my sig.

cool, but i dont think that castle bleck being over the water is really what nintendo wanted. its just in a sky of empty darkness

Oh wow it's been a while since i posted in this thread huh

I wanted to post some stuff behind-the-scenes with my awards presentation but kinda forgot about it. I should get on that but for now, here's recent things i made. These are basically my ideal modernization of the Paper Mario style. It keeps the papery effect (though more subtle) and realistic depth of the Sticker Star renders, but keeps design elements from TTYD/SPM sprites that I believe should have stayed. Basically, combining the best of both worlds, at least in my view.
EmFXmb3WMAInFzG.jpg
EmDq_JNW0AIOG6L.jpg
EmJq9_sXgAkF8qD.jpg
Paper_Mario_Hammer_New.png

:fawful:
-------------------------
Recently made a 3D, animated diorama inspired by Paper Mario 64. Planning to do TTYD and SPM in the future. Click the image to view the model and animation.
MarioStory.png

Attachments

• MarioStory_Cast.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 605
:fawful:
:fawful: :fawful: :fawful:

Well, I might as well give y'all another bicentennial update of this thread.

First, my entries for the Scribble Deathmatch! The time limit was daunting at first since my usual pace for making art is short bursts of work every 30 min or so which wouldn't work here. But I'm satisfied with how they turned out.
Prompt- Freezie
14515.png

This one used some techniques that were clarified to be off limits in future rounds, but this one was accepted. The joke here is that Count Bleck's head looks like a Freezie. Not much else to day beyond that.

Prompt- Dry Bones
14775.png

I had a lot of fun with this one. I also hid some little references around it, some Mario-related and some not. Also, in my head these Dry Bones were a gay couple.

Prompt- Yearly Events
15203.png

So, my "yearly event" of choice was Luigi always winning Best Major Character, with his bro Mario always coming in 2nd or 3rd. I posed a model of Luigi for reference to keep on-model here. This was the first one to lose its round, but I'd be more concerned if it DIDN'T lose against the amazing art TPG submitted.

Prompt- Airships
15489.png

This was the first one where I actually came scarily close to the deadline. One reason is that I put a lot more care into the shading here. The Bowser in the background was meant to be a lot more sinister looking, but I was too pressed for time by the time I got to that part so I had to half-ass it.

Prompt- 9-volt and 18-volt
15761.png

I had to look up a bunch of images of these characters for this one, since I haven't really played the WarioWare series and wasn't too familiar with them. I drew them playing video games which seems to be a favorite hobby of theirs. They were fun to draw though, especially 18-volt who by the way reminds me of the Starshade Bros. from Superstar Saga.

Prompt- The Glass is Half Empty
15963.png

I had to spend a few minutes thinking about what I would do for this prompt. As soon as this idea hit me though, I couldn't resist. On the left is Fred the fish, from SpongeBob, who lost his leg and screams his catchphrase, "My Leg!". On the right is someone less of you probably know, Phil from A Series of Unfortunate Events. He's an optimist, sometimes to a fault. When he loses his leg in a lumber mill accident, this is the first thing he says. He's the kind of guy that never has a frown on his face.

In addition, some other things I did recently are below.

Mander (PM3DS) Animation Test
Some basic TTYD-style animations & custom graphics for the cut enemy from SS.

Concept Boxart & Logo: Mario Kart Ultimate
del4efm-247a8492-aa30-43ff-b40c-e4205e001158.png

mario_kart_ultimate_logo_by_fawfulthegreat64_del5zu4-fullview.png

I want the next Mario Kart to take this approach so bad, bringing back every past character/track and expanding the spinoff representation. I also miss the wackier logo style from Double Dash and earlier.

Peachline render (Golf outfits)
peachline___mario_golf_render_by_fawfulthegreat64_denf397-fullview.png

Whenever a new game has these two in it I have to render them together because CUTENESS 💜

And finally, a custom 3D Model of The Dark Prognosticus.

I've been doing a lot of 3D work lately. Getting the hang of making models from scratch, and making more significant edits to existing models.

dieter render.png
fawful_render_2021.png
mario_party___mushroom_shop_clerk_render.png
Mushbertrender.png
mario_party_advance___shroomlock_render.png
deu1e8c-1bb9fa88-f453-4f03-96ba-8400c7522bf0.png
the_brave_little_toaster___lampy_render_by_fawfulthegreat64_deu5rxo-fullview.png

These are the most recent 3D models I made. You can view them, along with other things I uploaded over the years, on Sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/fawfulthegreat64/models

And finally, here's a 2D Fawful I did. :fawful:

fawful_2d_render_2021.png

Back