Holy Grails

I have the Sawada Yukio Mario kun books up to volume 42 so I might be able to help if I get around to reading them

I don't think I've read past ~35

Bump:

Diddy_Dixie_SuperMarioKun.jpg
Super_Mario_Kun_14_p023.jpg
Super_Mario_Kun_14_p064.jpg

BabyLuigiOnFire and I have gotten some issues of Super Mario-Kun, and we have uploaded some pictures. There is a lot more to Super Mario-Kun than we thought; the manga contains so many nods to the games, so I'm pleasantly surprised. We hope there are people who are willing to translate some of the panels and a few full pages we uploaded.

Mario Party X said:
Bump:

BabyLuigiOnFire and I have gotten some issues of Super Mario-Kun, and we have uploaded some pictures. There is a lot more to Super Mario-Kun than we thought; the manga contains so many nods to the games, so I'm pleasantly surprised. We hope there are people who are willing to translate some of the panels and a few full pages we uploaded.

I can translate. I can also upload some of my own.

And you could ask Walkazo, she's good at translating from Japanese.

Cucurbita Pepo said:

Yeah for some things I uploaded I have no idea what's going on ie there's a part with the Yoshi car in it and Baby Mario just randomly did things to it.

Drift said:
And you could ask Walkazo, she's good at translating from Japanese.

She said she's slow though

Cucurbita Pepo said:
Mario Party X said:
Bump:

Go ahead and translate. It would be VERY nice if we can figure out what's actually going on in those panels. Go ahead and upload some of your own as well. :)

By the way, I guess the Super Mario 4koma series deserves a spot here

There's a bit with Baby Luigi peeing on Bowser like a real baby. Also, this is from Yoshi's Island 2.

The first yonkoma: Diddy starts talking about his new jumper, and about Dixie made it. Then a guy starts saying that they do not care, and throws knives.
Scnd: Diddy throws Dixie around, and calls it an attack.

Cucurbita Pepo said:
There's a bit with Baby Luigi peeing on Bowser like a real baby. Also, this is from Yoshi's Island 2.

lol no wonder Bowser smacks him

The Chain Chomp one:

1st panel: Chaim Chomp's barking ("gau gau"), Kamek screams "A Chain Chomp!?!", WMario screams "Waaa"
2: Kamek says "Shake." (like you tell a dog to shake)
3: "gau gau" barks the Chomp, while Kamek screams "Ugyaa!!"
4: Kamek says "chanchan" (dunno what this means)
5: "gau gau" barks Chomp, "Biehhh!!" wails Kamek, and WMario (in a macho way of speaking) laughs "It's IMPOSSIBLE!" (or "unreasonable", either way it's not flattering for the Chomp...)
6: The chain snaps with a "buchi!" SFX, and WMario yelps "The Chain broke!!"

The Bowser one has more chatter, so I'll take a bit longer...

EDIT: here it is (only half an hour, not including the phone call / snack break I took in middle)...

1: Bowser screams "Don't do that!"
2: Bowser says "Okay, Kamek! This time, seize the 'red baby' Mario and come [back here]!", and the Toady waves and calls "Icchikimaasu!" (probably a slangy pronunciation of "ittekimasu", meaning "I'm leaving!", and which is said when you leave work to b respectful to your coworkers who are staying later than you, or something like that), while Kamek says "Yes!" (like you'd say "yes sir!" when your boss gives an order), with "Bun bun!" SFX "(vroom vroom" / "buzz buzz")
3: Baby Luigi babbles "da"
4: SFX: "dobabababa" (more babbling, I suspect), Baby Luigi babbles "udadaaaa", Bowser screams "Ugh, he's wetting himself!" ("Ge, morashi-yagatta!" - "morasu" meaning literally "to let leak" but also understood as "wet yourself" afaik, and "yagaru" is a vulgar conjugation expressing contempt: the more creative/colourful way to translate this would be "ugh, he's freakin' peeing on my head!")
5: Bowser says "[I'll] punish [you]!", and Baby Luigi cries "hogya hogya."
6: Shouting ("Ide~!") (a new scene?)

Well, that's a new perspective on things. By the way, that "Wario" you're referring to is more likely to be Mario; Wario doesn't appear until later.

Walkazo said:
The Chain Chomp one:

2: Kamek says "Shake." (like you tell a dog to shake)
4: Kamek says "chanchan" (dunno what this means)

Shake: He says "Ote", literally hand, like when the dog puts its hand on yours.
4: It's not chan chan, its chinchin, "beg", the dog pose.

When the dog puts its hand on yours, the English command's "shake", hence I translated it that way. But yeah, I have a bad habit of turning "chi" into "cha" for some reason (and dunno why I thought the "M" on Mario's cap was a "W", oopsie).

PrincessShroobSuperMarioKun.png

No idea what's going on here

Baby Luigi said:

Page 1:

Princess Shroob: "If that's so, UFO press!" (Squashes Mario and Luigi)
Mario: "We must pull her out of the UFO, or we'll never defeat her!" Baby Mario: "O-K"
(Baby Mario hops on the ship) Luigi: "What does he plan to do?" Baby Mario: "My turn!"
Baby Mario: "Delivery!" *Ding Dong* Mario: "They's never fall for that!"

Page 2:
Princess Shroob (can't read that well, but I can guess): "Yes, I forget where I put my Stamp!" Mario or Luigi: "Why do you come out!!!"
The bros.: "Now! Pull her out!" "Yes!" Princess Shroob: "Kyaaaaaaa!"
Princess Shroob: "I got tricked..." Mario: "Good job, little one! if it's a battle on the ground, it's ours!"
Princess Shroob: "You say that as if you're superior... My powers are stronger to yours!"
Princess Shroob: "Energy Bullet/Ball!" *BOOM*
"ENERGY BALL! ENERGY BALL!" Luigi: If we get hit by that many energy balls..."

There.

Sweet, so Baby Mario does talk more in Partners in Time than in Yoshi's Island. My sister will be dying to know what the babies say in the entire issue. Me, well, Mario's in every issue, so I'm not as bat-crazy as her.

Cucurbita Pepo said:
Baby Luigi said:

Page 1:

Princess Shroob: "If that's so, UFO press!" (Squashes Mario and Luigi)
Mario: "We must pull her out of the UFO, or we'll never defeat her!" Baby Mario: "O-K"
(Baby Mario hops on the ship) Luigi: "What does he plan to do?" Baby Mario: "My turn!"
Baby Mario: "Delivery!" *Ding Dong* Mario: "They's never fall for that!"

Page 2:
Princess Shroob (can't read that well, but I can guess): "Yes, I forget where I put my Stamp!" Mario or Luigi: "Why do you come out!!!"
The bros.: "Now! Pull her out!" "Yes!" Princess Shroob: "Kyaaaaaaa!"
Princess Shroob: "I got tricked..." Mario: "Good job, little one! if it's a battle on the ground, it's ours!"
Princess Shroob: "You say that as if you're superior... My powers are stronger to yours!"
Princess Shroob: "Energy Bullet/Ball!" *BOOM*
"ENERGY BALL! ENERGY BALL!" Luigi: If we get hit by that many energy balls..."

There.

Thank you very much. I want to get ahold of this manga even if I can't understand it other than deducing what happens in the pictures.

Real footage of Mario Takes America has yet to be posted, but I found the next best thing: Someone who worked on the game recently posted about his time developing it on the Assemblergames forums!

Interesting stuff. It's always neat when insiders share what they know. It's pretty crazy that they got helicopter footage and stuff - if only they'd saved it: they could actually make the game now, given modern system capabilities.

The guy states further down in the thread he has a promo tape of the game, but that he's not uploading it since he's afraid of being sued by the surviving relatives of the producer.

Glowsquid said:
The guy states further down in the thread he has a promo tape of the game, but that he's not uploading it since he's afraid of being sued by the surviving relatives of the producer.
Yeah, I read that part.

Helicopter-shot footage that could be used to actually make the game =/= promo video.

Xanthium said:
I'm going to buy some Mario manga tomorrow. I'll scan a couple if you want.
Please do!

Just tell us what Mario manga is it, and what volume it is.

Back