Re: BabyLuigiOnFire's Chicken Scratch (current projects: spriting garbage, 3D trash)

Probably the darkness doing it covering up some features. They've been a pretty consistent appearance in a various amount of pics. Like this one

DfG5z_8U8AAmMH3.jpg:large

Don't worry, they'll appear in future screenshots. I'm obsessed about them.

Re: BabyLuigiOnFire's Chicken Scratch (current projects: spriting garbage, 3D trash)

So I worked on this picture last night

iev3wM3.png

Finally gave my dudes some of their own lights for their weaponry and looks even better than edited in. Would wish there was an option for radiance of light like a neon glow but can't have everything. Maybe I could try cranking up the bloom levels only next time and then trying to poster it like I did for the layers. Experimenting is fun!

Dunno what's my fascination with making horror-inspired scenes lately. I guess it's just because I adore the juxtaposition of my favorite, cutsey characters onto such an environment. Well Halloween is coming anyway, so hey, better err on the macabre side as it's going to be season appropriate soon!

Two Marios were added last minute solely because I wanted to pander to my twin so she can pay attention to my pictures more (who posed the two Marios).

Took a crack at a full-blown group artwork. OF course it has to feature Baby Luigi in too many capacities.

SaARsUE.png

Posing is a huge pain in the ass and it took a great chunk of time to get it "just right" (and even then I'm not completely satisfied with it). A tip on how to make more organic-looking characters when you pose 3D models: use reference pictures, they help a ton on how to unstiffen your characters. If you want say a hands on hip, google image it and you'll find it. Copy it, study how the body curves around and how it's subtly formed. Learn about foreshortening and comparing proportions (like where does the hand meet relative to the eyebrows?). Finally, I should take a life-drawing class, which would help a ton in drawing better poses which in turn can lend to better posing.

you really need to make ik rigs for the model; it would be a lot less pain in the ass trying to pose them. yes, setting them up takes time, but it'll help a lot for future renders.

I completely agree with this. I could probably read tutorials on how to create them for Max. I do know how to make them for Source Filmmaker, actually pretty easy if I recall properly, you just need to edit the script to accommodate how many spine bones your character has and their bone names need to match the official Valve bone names.

We should attempt animation again. It works like posing, in that your first animation is going to be stiff like your first render, and only practice and learning about it in real life via reference pictures and videos will help you become better at it.

Jt2DHV3.jpg

At first I thought the shadow under Baby Luigi's nose was a small mustache, and I loved it.

The only mustache I can see is if you imagined a Hitler mustache

....oh dear....oh god no.

It's large enough compared to his mouth to be viewed as a different style of mustache.

Not a big update on my MUGEN fighter but I haven't worked on him for a while. Posting this here anyway.

IfYofZS.png

So, the new ones got some punch, med punch, and strong punch attacks (the strong punch is missing the first tween that I was about to make so yeah that explains the gap). Smash Forge helped draw some of the poses here P: Should probably work on the kicks at some point but I don't know when or how to find inspiration to take effort working again.

Have you created a BabyLuigiDance version yet?
20130223044856%21BabyLuigiDance.gif

Nah I haven't. Maybe could work as a taunt.

TWYkSaF.jpg

This was rendered with Source Filmmaker. Really fun tool to use, and I'd highly recommend playing around with it for anyone looking to work with a lot of fun things like pre-built maps, IK rigs, facial expressions, and so much more. It's also pretty simple to animate with too. In general, I think it's easier to use than a traditional 3D program and you can make really nice pictures with it at the expense of being stuck with model limitations and some outdated aspects of the Source engine.

SVL3sdE.png

Another render by me from Source Filmmaker. Uses a total of six lights to light up the scene in a black void; it was originally a bit brighter but I think I prefer the primary light sources being behind him rather than being light from the front, makes him appear a bit more badass if you get my drift. There are at least three fire-related particle effects in this scene, all from Half-Life 2.

IK rigs are fun to play with! Much easier to manipulate than constantly adjusting limbs when you want to edit how the limbs look.

Because I'm bored, I'm taking requests for SFM renders. Several rules:

1. I'll render it with Source Filmmaker. So the model has to exist in the Source Filmmaker workshop before I consider rendering it. Technically, if a character's model is available and not there, I could theoretically port it but that's a ton of effort I'd rather not undertake. I'd also love to render your OCs with Source Filmmaker but depending on the complexity of the OC, it's also a load large of workstrain for me. IF your OC is simply a recolor of an existing character model, then it theoretically is feasible and I could undertake that. Original models or edits require decompiling and recompiling so it's a bit of work.
1a. If your model is available in the Gmod workshop instead, I could also work with that, since I can decompile the gma and add that to the SFM listing.
2. Please be specific with the requests. The more descriptive your image in the head is, the more likely I'll render it how you want it.
3. I'll work at my own pace and discretion. If my workload becomes too large, I possibly won't get all requests finished.
4. I'll get to choose what to work with and not ultimately. If I decline your request, it's declined.

SFM workshop, if you wanna check who's available or not: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=1840&searchtext=mario&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=home

this is just Mario results. if you want nonMario characters, feel free to search for them

86iDCPF.png

I've decided to render another fiery scene with Source Filmmaker, this time with Bowser and Bowser Jr. Comes with five lights and an explosion particle effect in the background. Emphasis was placed on the underside, like shining a flashlight underneath you for a more threatening, evil effect than my first, fiery render, so although they're two fiery ones, they portray different moods. Additionally, this uses more intense reds to show you how badass and evil Bowser is. Fun fact: Bowser Jr. ain't part of the Source Filmmaker workshop, I extracted him from Super Mario - Wii U (RTB Pack 1) [Ragdolls] from Garry's Mod. Very easy task, actually. So if the model is available in Gmod, I could easily do it.

Bowser uses his Super Mario Odyssey model, so that dumbass mustache from Mario was edited out alongside his eyes. Bowser Jr. is from a Wii U game of sorts, maybe Mario & Sonic. He's scaled up a bit so his father doesn't completely overwhelm the scene to his attention.

What if I extended this fiery evilness to a huge variety of Mario characters, including Baby Luigi?? Hmm

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I'd also love to render your OCs with Source Filmmaker but depending on the complexity of the OC, it's also a load large of workstrain for me. [...] Original models or edits require decompiling and recompiling so it's a bit of work.
... Siph?

If that could be too difficult, I'll settle with Daisy in her biker suit smiling and giving a thumbs up to the camera, with her other hand on her hip.

Is Siph simply a blue Yoshi Kid? Because that's actually do-able, thanks to this pack. I could also post-process edit him with image editing programs for accurate plate and shoe colors.

I'll also render Daisy too.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Is Siph simply a blue Yoshi Kid? Because that's actually do-able, thanks to this pack. I could also post-process edit him with image editing programs for accurate plate and shoe colors.
Yeah, with golden eyes and a silver belly, but yeah.
Russian Baby Luigi said:
I'll also render Daisy too.
Don't spoil me now :P

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMario.

Do something that warrants "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter playing.

7UyfIgn.png

6ZZHCm9.png

Request completed for J & Siph!

Siph was really tricky to get right. I couldn't simply extract the Paper Mario pack's .gma file as it didn't show up properly in Source Filmmaker due to how weird the author compiled the model, forcing me to decompile his mdl model and recompiling it in the right location. In addition, I made a variety of texture edits to him, and the way he's set up is a bit advanced too, compared to the average Source model. Texturing his shoes was a bit more annoying than it should be, so I managed it.

Also, I used this reference artwork of Siph as that was the best reference picture. I tried matching his colors to my best of abilities, though I think the pants in my final render is a bit too violet rather than magenta.

Had to troubleshoot for getting his model right and it paid off, hopefully making Siph happy!

Daisy was fairly simple to render, but I originally wanted to make her more expressive. I wanted to make her wink while opening her mouth, but Mario Kart 8 has really poor quality models forcing me to stick with a particular facial expression, which is the one that has her eyes looking at you in the camera. For her pose, I based it off Peach's artwork from Super Mario Strikers while also using some Google reference images for a thumbs up, as well as my prior posing experience to get it just right.

And finally, some bonus render for myself I decided to throw in for good measure (and my new signature).

kThXu4Z.png

"Oh hey there! How are things? What's new?" ;)

Princess Mario said:
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMario.

Do something that warrants "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter playing.

Wait, you want me to make a scene that has Bad Day with Mario receiving the brunt of that?

Yeah

I think you should use GIMP/Photoshop to clean up rendering artifacts.

Hey! I'm still going to work on LGM's request, but because of my impromptu change to a more Happy Holiday vibe, I couldn't resist an extra render for my avatar. So sharing it. By the next post here, by today, I'll get LGM's request up, with Mario having a bad day and singing a sad song to get things along.

SzNaCgF.png

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
Yeah

I think you should use GIMP/Photoshop to clean up rendering artifacts.

I agree with that. I think Daisy's nose in my render of her could use some of editing magic to clean things up. It was even recommended in an SFM poster guide to use image editing software to bring it out. But for now, I'm pretty content with learning lights and posing techniques to make characters look natural. The more I pose, the more I unstiffen them future on, I say, and thus the quicker it would be to get characters in poses I like.

I still find hands on hips pose to be an attractive yet still very difficult pose to get down. You need pretty much the right arm/elbow/spine configurations to get it just right, and definitely requires posed fingers too.

I think you should learn adding particle effects through photo editors too. I really think you should try learning that stage of poster images.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
I still find hands on hips pose to be an attractive yet still very difficult pose to get down. You need pretty much the right arm/elbow/spine configurations to get it just right, and definitely requires posed fingers too.
I find myself standing in from of mirrors a lot when I draw poses. It turns out a lot of poses I stand and sit in irl look really weird from most angles.

Back