Votes: 7 10.3%
  • It was okay

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Disappointing, expected it to be much better

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I hated it

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Although, honestly, when's the last time the Mario series had good bosses? I really don't know. Maybe 3D Land, but even then it had Boom Boom, who was incredibly easy.

Galaxy and Galaxy 2 had some cool bosses. So did Sunshine. Remember when Nintendo made Mario games like that? You you know with a sense of epic proportions. Galaxy felt like a new big adventure, even Sunshine felt like a new epic adventure... However these most recent games (while enjoyable and well made) feel like your typical basic Mario adventure, nothing to amazing or memorable to look at with awe and wonder.

I guess it all comes down to the world. Look at the scene where Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad are walking outside the castle. Mario's world is a flat empty wastleland, there's just the castle... some trees... that's it. Now look at the opening to Mario Galaxy, a lively town bustling with happy citizens and their homes, decorations, streetlights. You could almost swear it was a real town.

You get this sense you're a part of something big. The game itself feels big. This game, 3D World... feels small, empty, shallow.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm hoping Nintendo put a bit more effort into the next 3D Mario. (not that they're not putting as much effort, but come on, Galaxy had a full orchestral score!) Perhaps they want to get it out quickly to help boost Wii U sales, and that's why they're playing it safe?

Purple Yoshi said:
Although, honestly, when's the last time the Mario series had good bosses? I really don't know. Maybe 3D Land, but even then it had Boom Boom, who was incredibly easy.

3D land bosses, good? Ha, they had the worse bosses out of any Mario game.

Galaxy was probably the last time there were any unique and cool boss battles, where you aren't fighting the same guy like 5 times in one game.

Kingfin and Bouldergeist are memorable ones. Funny how they both share the music...

Bouldergeist was a bitch, let me remind you. Especially with that Prankster Comet that made you have to beat it with just 1 HP. That was the hardest star to get for me.

Meh, the comet star isn't THAT bad.

Anser said:
Bouldergeist was a *bleep*, let me remind you. Especially with that Prankster Comet that made you have to beat it with just 1 HP. That was the hardest star to get for me.
Finally someone who agrees with me! During my first playthrough he managed to kill me so many times that I eventually gave up... I've beaten him now, but it sure was though.

The Lava Spa 1hp stage was much much harder than any than the other Prankster Comets.

It is nothing but pain.

I know the Mario games haven't had great bosses lately, but sheesh, that was awful. That better just be an early battle... I really can't see how they could think that provides a challenge...

Xerneas said:
Purple Yoshi said:

Galaxy was probably the last time there were any unique and cool boss battles, where you aren't fighting the same guy like 5 times in one game.

I was referring to the Bowser battles. They actually felt like the original battles in 3D. And the final boss was really clever.

As for Galaxy bosses, Bouldergeist was OK, but I hate it for the same reason I'm not such a fan of Koloktos in Skyward Sword - the battle takes WAY too long. The spider boss was also REALLY annoying. And they recycled a lot of bosses in Galaxy. I mean, you fought King Kaliente and Kamella TWICE, and the Bowser battles were all really similar.

Purple Yoshi said:
Xerneas said:
Purple Yoshi said:

I was referring to the Bowser battles. They actually felt like the original battles in 3D. And the final boss was really clever.

As for Galaxy bosses, Bouldergeist was OK, but I hate it for the same reason I'm not such a fan of Koloktos in Skyward Sword - the battle takes WAY too long. The spider boss was also REALLY annoying. And they recycled a lot of bosses in Galaxy. I mean, you fought King Kaliente and Kamella TWICE, and the Bowser battles were all really similar.

Heaven forbid that they used a boss twice in SMG, but like 5+ times in SM3DL, and the Bowser battles in 3DL were not as fun as in SMG because you literally didn't even attack him but just run over him. It was okay back in the day, but I rather fight Bowser nowadays like in SMG.

I guess so. Although the battles in 3D land were a lot more difficult, probably because you had less health.

SMG2 was a bit better with the boss battles, than SMG though. At least, they didn't repeat any bosses besides Bowser.

Purple Yoshi said:
I guess so. Although the battles in 3D land were a lot more difficult, probably because you had less health.

SMG2 was a bit better with the boss battles, than SMG though. At least, they didn't repeat any bosses besides Bowser.

You got 5 HP in total in SM3L, get tankooi, then big mario, then small mario, then tap on tanooki leaf on touchscreen then tanooki mario, big mario, then small mario then die.

And that's assuming you've survived with all your powerups throughout the level. SMG pretty much gives you 6 HP guaranteed.

Well, they have a Life Shroom at almost every boss. They're normally not even hidden.

Based Sora said:
Bouldergeist? Long?

learn to spin multiple bomb boos at once, lol

That's not the hard part. The hard part is that the damn thing always puts its hands or rock tombs in your way and destroys your Bomb Boos.

Ness said:

One of the boss battles, it takes 9 hits

for one glorious moment, we were able to pretend that the bowsermobile fight would be really cool

but when this video arrived, that moment ended

Yeah, it is a shame. I think I was more annoyed that the person playing was just standing at the corner of the screen and making the video last longer than it needed to.

Back