Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I'm guessing Jr will share his class with Wendy and Larry.
That's what I thought, too. On the heavier side of the lightweights.

So, Gold Mario is a palette change for Metal Mario and not a separate slot? That's reasonable.
One thing I like about Renegade Roundup is that the Piranha Plants look funny with lights on their heads.
Also, go to 1:39 when Waluigi is drifting in this video. Why are the drift sparks purple instead of blue?

i don't think anybody really thought Gold Metal Mario was gonna get his own slot.

We already saw the final CSS , only the miis were missing.

Luigi 64DD said:
Also, go to 1:39 when Waluigi is drifting in this video. Why are the drift sparks purple instead of blue?

I think it's a third level of drifting soley for 200cc.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I think King Boo will be in the same class as Bowser.

I more see King Boo being in the same weight class as Donkey Kong and Roy Koopa, if anything.

the only logical weight class for king boo to be in would be none because hes a ghost and he also levitates

MnSG said:
Pink_Gold_Peach said:
I think King Boo will be in the same class as Bowser.

I more see King Boo being in the same weight class as Donkey Kong and Roy Koopa, if anything.
And Rosalina ;)

MnSG said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
And Rosalina ;)

And even to this day, I feel that Rosalina and Waluigi are not in the right weight category.
The lighter heavyweights are cruisers (MK7), which I get as also being larger mediums. I think that's a good place for those two, based on those descriptions.

I don't have a problem with Rosalina being heavy.

J-Yoshi64 said:
The lighter heavyweights are cruisers (MK7), which I get as also being larger mediums. I think that's a good place for those two, based on those descriptions.

I more see Rosalina and Waluigi sharing the same acceleration, weight, and traction stats as Mario and Luigi. However, their speed and handling would be tied with that of Donkey Kong and Roy Koopa.

Did they confirm that Gold Mario is a reskin and not a separate character?

It's still lazy IMO. At least use a character that would require slight editing to the texture rather than simple hue changes, such as Shadow Mario.

Bowser Jr., King Boo and Dry Bones were a good decision on Nintendo's part, but seriously, no Mario newcomers? No new non-battle tracks either? If you're going to release a port instead of a new entry, at least try to make it feel like a new entry.

Anyway, battle mode looks amazing and I'm glad at least those criticisms were addressed by Nintendo. All they need is to add two-character karts and it would almost be a worthy sequel to Double Dash.

It looks like the new battle courses that have been revealed (not including Urchin Underpass) are all based on the Wii U Tracks.

Battle Stadium resembles Mario Kart Stadium. We also have ones that look like they're in Dragon Driftway and Sweet Sweet Canyon. The moon base one could be based on Rainbow Road, given that the latter has a space station, but this one is admittedly a stretch.

The GameXplain video detailing Gold Mario did not mention if he was a Metal Mario alt, only how he is unlocked. It's listed as a variant on the wiki but I haven't found a source on that.

Air Conditioner said:
Bowser Jr., King Boo and Dry Bones were a good decision on Nintendo's part, but seriously, no Mario newcomers? No new non-battle tracks either? If you're going to release a port instead of a new entry, at least try to make it feel like a new entry.
Not to mention Magikoopa, E. Gadd and Hammer Bro., who were planned to be playable characters in past Mario Kart games.

Magikoopa (or Kamek) was not only planned for MK64 but Mario Kart 8 as well. I'd take him over Metal Mario with a different hue. Same for E. Gadd and Hammer Bro (though I'm slightly less keen on the latter)

Air Conditioner said:
If you're going to release a port instead of a new entry, at least try to make it feel like a new entry.

You do realize how contradictory that is right? Something can't be both a port and a new entry at the same time.

Honestly, I think they had enough time to go ahead and make Mario Kart 9, especially because the average number of years between Mario Kart games is about 3 years.

Luigi 64DD said:
Honestly, I think they had enough time to go ahead and make Mario Kart 9, especially because the average number of years between Mario Kart games is about 3 years.

Enough time maybe but still gotta make returns off the lost wii u money.

I know this won't happen but I wish they used the Battle Music from Double Dash for Shine Thiefs. It was so catchy and I loved that it was used in Cookie Land in Wii.

The battle mode sure looks like a lot of fun especially now there's a Cops and Robbers style battle mode.

Too bad they didn't include one of the "Block ___" arenas.

I wonder if they add 8 more arenas via DLC, in a enhanced port with all the DLC from the original game.

Back