Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

No Birdo, no buy. :birdo:

All kidding aside, I'm intrigued by this. It's not a system seller, but I like what I saw in that short span (King Boo is nice, but the two item system has me really interested). I'd have to see more though.

I'd love to see Petey return, but I'm fine with King Boo.

A51_Trooper said:
I'd love to see Petey return, but I'm fine with King Boo.
Much depends on how much time the team dedicated to the new characters. The TO-DO list had the four I already mentioned, but Petey Piranha is clearly a Nintendo favorite now, so he might well be in this "update" if they add a few more characters beside those four. And Kamek. And Birdo.

If they added even more, I would see also King Bob-omb - he is clearly among the three main bosses of spin-off games (King Boo, Petey Piranha, King Bob-omb) - and Wiggler as well.

One thing I HATE about Mario Kart 8's design is how after you finish a race, if you select View Replay, it becomes the default option for the following races. So, when I don't want to watch the replay (which is 99% of the time) I end up choosing View Replay instead of Next Race, which should be default. I thought they had removed that shit in an update a long time ago.

Anser said:
One thing I HATE about Mario Kart 8's design is how after you finish a race, if you select View Replay, it becomes the default option for the following races. So, when I don't want to watch the replay (which is 99% of the time) I end up choosing View Replay instead of Next Race, which should be default. I thought they had removed that shit in an update a long time ago.

I think they did fix this. It just highlights the last thing you picked. So if you accidentally pressed View Replay it will remember that for the next race and have that highlighted. But if you picked next race it will keep it that way.

And besides, I feel that's a major nitpick. You lose what... 5 seconds quitting out of view replay to get to the next race?

I still hate the hidden 10 minute time limit for every race, it's utter bullcrap

Replays don't even last that long. If you spend over a certain amount of time, the replay ends in the middle of a race. So it's not caused by the memory overload of too long replays.

Hououin Kyouma said:
I mean I'm glad we got a glimpse at dlc 3 and all but

when?

We don't even know if that is DLC. It may just be a tech demo, and its contents won't be released to the public.

MnSG said:
Hououin Kyouma said:
I mean I'm glad we got a glimpse at dlc 3 and all but

when?

We don't even know if that is DLC. It may just be a tech demo, and its contents won't be released to the public.

Not to mention the games shown in the Wii U reveal trailer. There was New Super Mario Bros. Mii (with the same graphics as NSMBW), Wii Fit, and Wii Sports. These games later reworked to New Super Mario Bros. U (with levels based of levels from NSMBMii), Wii Fit U, and Wii Sports Club respectively.

Maybe this MK8 footage shown would be a enhanced port of MK8, or later reworked into a new Mario Kart game.

Mister Wu said:
To be fair, it is Nintendo of Europe itself that explicitly mentioned Mario Kart 8 while teasing new content.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/738777797125144576

To be even more fair , that was extremely far fetched.

Plus releasing the content for the Wii U would be them shooting themselves in the foot as there would be no relevant reason to re-purchase the game for the Switch just for a bit of more clarity in graphics as the game already looks fine.

I highly doubt we are getting this content on the Wii U.

I really hope that pic of Kalamari Desert that was posted on Twitter means something. I do wonder how many more tracks and characters we will get?

Swiftie_Luma said:
Plus releasing the content for the Wii U would be them shooting themselves in the foot as there would be no relevant reason to re-purchase the game for the Switch just for a bit of more clarity in graphics as the game already looks fine.

I agree with this.

The reason for porting MK8 on the NX would be so that people who didn't buy the Wii U (a lot) wouldn't miss out on an old game and still be getting a new console, giving them a reason to buy it. Giving it adjustments such as the two item thing and additions like King Boo are there to appeal to both, making it a better idea to get this on NX than Wii U and giving Wii U owners a reason to buy it on NX/buy an NX. MK8 is also an easy game to port since it doesn't force any of the gimmicks that the Wii U had from the GamePad.

I just hope that this doesn't mean that we don't get an actual new Mario Kart NX.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Mister Wu said:
To be fair, it is Nintendo of Europe itself that explicitly mentioned Mario Kart 8 while teasing new content.

Let's not forget that the Mario Kart TV website got terminated. That's probably a clear sign that Mario Kart 8 isn't getting anything new.

My best guess is that the footage that we saw on the trailer will probably be reworked onto the next Mario Kart installment.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Mister Wu said:

MnSG said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Mister Wu said:

Let's not forget that the Mario Kart TV website got terminated. That's probably a clear sign that Mario Kart 8 isn't getting anything new.

My best guess is that the footage that we saw on the trailer will probably be reworked onto the next Mario Kart installment.
Sorry, I didn't mean that, what I wanted to say is that it's possible that Mario Kart Switch will be named Mario Kart 8 as well, possibly with some addition in the name. Having DLC and patch for the Wii U version is wishful thinking, although they might repay a part of the cost of the new content just by selling the DLC pack on the Wii U.

Mister Wu said:
Sorry, I didn't mean that, what I wanted to say is that it's possible that Mario Kart Switch will be named Mario Kart 8 as well, possibly with some addition in the name.

That was my first thought as well. But remembering how the past tech demos were handled pretty much reminded me not to be too positive.

MnSG said:
Mister Wu said:
Sorry, I didn't mean that, what I wanted to say is that it's possible that Mario Kart Switch will be named Mario Kart 8 as well, possibly with some addition in the name.

That was my first thought as well. But remembering how the past tech demos were handled pretty much reminded me not to be too positive.

That makes no sense to me because:

Why would they show a brand new character intereacting accordingly to the already MK8 existing engine only to change it later completely.

We have a bunch of characters that are highly unlikely to return in a True new Mario Kart , like Baby Rosalina and PGP featured in the trailer.

Said characters have the same models , all the characters present do , theres the same vehicles , again all characters interacting just like in MK8.

Characters like Rosalina are present , unlockeable characters ARE NEVER teased in beta stages.

Why would they do all this mess if this was a new game?

Not to mention the Switch comes in March , which means it needs some stuff for launch , and the safest thing Nintendo can do is have enhanced versions of their best selling Wii U games , thats literally a no brainer.

This is not MK9 , or any beta of sort. This is MK8 Complete edition HD or something like that.

Looking at the footage they showed, it really seemed that they wanted the new elements (King Boo, double items) to stand out in an otherwise familiar context (Mario Kart 8 150cc versus race on GCN Yoshi Circuit with CPU opponents, Mario on a B-Dasher with Standard Tires, the other player using the Circuit Special with Slick Tires). I think that the main idea was to show both that it was possible to play Mario Kart 8 local multiplayer on the go, and to show that Mario Kart 8 had some specific improvements too, that are likely to be found only in the Switch version.

Maybe some really minor things, but nothing too important like losing tracks, characters, or cars.

Back