Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Sprag94 said:
Lumastar said:
Yeah, the character unlock conditions in Mario Kart 8 suck. 7's not too hot either. I miss the days of DD!!, DS, and Wii unlock conditions.
So do I. I really hate the random character unlocking system in Mario Kart 8 and I really hope that Nintendo will hopefully find a way of how to get rid of it. I really hope they will change the starting roster too.

In fact, I still really hate that players are racing against characters that they haven't unlocked yet. Players cannot race against Rosalina, Toadette, Lakitu, and the 7 Koopalings until these characters are officially unlocked. In fact, Rosalina doesn't even deserve to be unlockable. Nintendo really needs to take this new feature out to avoid spoilers.

I was actually thinking of making a thread about what do you think the Mario Kart 8 character roster should have been or what it will look like in the future.

I agree with all the things you said except for one thing. I think Rosalina should always be unlockable. I don't know, I just think she's too special to be a basic character and I'd rather work hard to get her. I was pretty mad when I was told she was a basic character in Super Smash Bros. 4. Maybe that's just me.

I think that my main problem with Mario Kart 8 is that it feels too rushed. I guess that's understandable, since Nintendo needed to get something out quickly in order to start selling Wii Us.

In fact, I was thinking that Nintendo should release another Mario Kart for the Wii U. Yes, I know that this has never been done before and that it's pretty much impossible, but hey, Nintendo likes to give surprises. I read somewhere that implementing the Double Dash mode was among the talks when they were developing Mario Kart 8, so why not bring that back and make a Double Dash-like game for the Wii U that lets 8 people play at the same time like with Smash 4? I even thought of a roster and everything:

Basic:

1 - Mario & Luigi
2 - Peach & Daisy
3 - Yoshi & Birdo
4 - Toad & Toadette
5 - Toadsworth & E. Gadd
6 - Baby Mario & Baby Luigi
7 - Baby Peach & Baby Daisy
8 - Koopa Troopa & Paratroopa
9 - Shy Guy & Nabbit
10 - Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr.
11 - Wario & Waluigi
12 - Bowser & Bowser Jr.

Unlockable:

13 - Rosalina & Luma
14 - Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong
15 - Hammer Bro. & Magikoopa
16 - Boom Boom & Pom Pom
17 - Petey Piranha & King Boo
18 - Dry Bowser & Dry Bones

Explanations:

On Toadsworth & E. Gadd: I think these two deserve to be playable, especially since E. Gadd was originally planned for Mario Kart DS. I paired them up because I think they're pretty funny and since they're both old guys I think they make up for a hilarious team.

On Nabbit: this guy is pretty much everywhere after New Super Luigi U, even being playable in Mario Golf: World Tour, so why not make him playable in Mario Kart and pair him up with the other little rascal of the group?

On Donkey Kong Jr: here we go with the controversial topic again. I do not think Diddy Kong should have replaced this little guy. Nintendo could rework their relationship and make them a pair of mischievous cousins or something like that. I also don't believe in the bullshit theory of "HURRR JR IS THE CURRENT DONKEY KONG DURR HURR" because that doesn't make sense and this is a Mario game we're talking about, so logic is not something we should take into account, especially if Mario can race with a younger version of himself. Besides, he appeared in the original Super Mario Kart, so I think this is a perfect opportunity for him to make a comeback.

On Luma: Rosalina is rarely seen without a Luma near her, and since Lubba already fell out of relevancy and Luma is much more recognizable, I guess it's a better choice. Of course, it would have to be a bigger Luma than the ones we see in Galaxy, not huge but at least Baby Mario and company's size.

On Dixie Kong: well, since Donkey Kong Jr is returning in this roster, Diddy Kong has to have a partner, and who better than his girlfriend? She has appeared in the Mario Baseball series and I think it would be ok for her to be a newcomer in Mario Kart. Anything is better than having Funky Kong and his horrible voice back.

On Hammer Bro. & Magikoopa: these two are among the most popular and toughest of Bowser's minions, and since Hammer Bro. was planned for Mario Kart Wii and has been playable in several other Mario games, and Magikoopa was originally meant to be playable in Mario Kart 64 but was replaced by Donkey Kong, I think they make up for a perfect team this time around.

On Boom Boom & Pom Pom: Boom Boom is a classic enemy and he's even older than most of us here, and he has appeared as a semi-boss with a decent frequency lately along with his female counterpart, Pom Pom, so I think it would be good if they appeared in the game.

On cutting the Koopalings: I think their addition was not well received by most people (including me) and it would be awkward to have them back, paired up with each other and leaving one out, so I just cut them altogether. They're better as a Mario Kart 8 exclusive.

On cutting Lakitu: this is just me, but I didn't like his addition to the Mario Kart roster. It's just awkward to have him without his cloud and racing.

On cutting Baby Rosalina: I had no one to pair her up with and I'd rather cut her than create another bullshit character. Besides she completely ruins Rosalina's backstory and I think she's a very unnecessary character.

On cutting Metal Mario: seriously, what a waste of a spot. I can have him back as a recolor of Mario, but not as a separate character.

On cutting Pink Gold Peach: this is an obvious one. It's a character everyone hates and absolutely no one understands. I guess that if she (somehow) got some fans I could have her back as a recolor for Peach, but that's as far as it gets.

On other characters not making a return: Wiggler would be awkward to animate when switching spots with the driver and is too big (not Ridley big obviously, but still) and never liked his addition in Mario Kart 7. Honey Queen was hated by pretty much everyone (although I never found her that bad) and I had no one to pair her up with. R.O.B. was a joke and a mistake that should never be repeated. I hate Funky Kong and his voice so I decided to not have him back.

Let me know your opinions :)

I wouldn't have cut Lakitu or Metal Mario.

I'd pair Lakitu with Boo and Metal Mario with Rusty Copper Luigi.

Other than that, love the addition of Donkey Kong Jr, and I agree that the Koopalings should just appear once at the height of their popularity (though I loved their appearance in 8).

Freakworld said:
i dont get why people hate ds, it was controllable, had some good tracks and the mission mode was cool too
People seem to hate DS because of the "subpar visuals" (which really aren't subpar for the first year of the DS's life). I love it a lot, as it's easily the best single-player Mario Kart game. It has great tracks, 36 kart (25 of which are unique in design and all of which are unique in stats), 12 characters (including NE robo buddy ROB and my missed main Dry Bones), ghost sharing, staff ghosts, the second-best version of Battle Mode, 8-player local multiplayer (which I have only tried a couple of times, and it was awesome!), Mission Mode, bosses in Mission Mode based on Super Mario 64 DS, and emblem designer.

I love Mario Kart DS. Unique newcomers, some of the best tracks in the series, mission mode and great kart designs. And a bit of bias because it was my first MK game

Anser said:
I think Rosalina should always be unlockable. I don't know, I just think she's too special to be a basic character and I'd rather work hard to get her. I was pretty mad when I was told she was a basic character in Super Smash Bros. 4. Maybe that's just me.

I'd rather have Rosalina as a starter character in Mario Kart 8 maybe because she appears on the Mario Kart 8 boxart and she has even got her own title screen. Yes, I was not very happy that Rosalina is a starter character in Super Smash Bros. 4 as I really want her to be unlockable.

I have made my very own updated roster for Mario Kart 8 that will hopefully happen in the future.

Starter Characters
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Yoshi
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Toad
Koopa Troopa
Wario
Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Rosalina

Unlockable Characters
Daisy (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Flower Cup)
King Boo (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Star Cup)
Larry Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Special Cup)
Bowser Jr. (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Banana Cup)
Paratroopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Leaf Cup)
Roy Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in 50cc Lightning Cup)
Birdo (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Flower Cup)
Baby Luigi (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Star Cup)
Wendy O. Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Special Cup)
Diddy Kong (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Banana Cup)
Dry Bowser (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Leaf Cup)
Iggy Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in 100cc Lightning Cup)
Toadette (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Mushroom Cup)
Hammer Bro. (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Flower Cup)
Lubba (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Star Cup)
Waluigi (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Special Cup)
Funky Kong (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Shell Cup)
Lakitu (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Banana Cup)
Kamek (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Leaf Cup)
Morton Koopa Jr. (Rank 1 Star or higher in 150cc Lightning Cup)
Petey Piranha (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Mushroom Cup)
Baby Daisy (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Flower Cup)
Dry Bones (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Star Cup)
Lemmy Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Special Cup)
Dixie Kong (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Shell Cup)
Wiggler (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Banana Cup)
Metal Mario (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Leaf Cup)
Ludwig von Koopa (Rank 1 Star or higher in Mirror Lightning Cup)
Shy Guy (Unlock 4 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Toadsworth (Unlock 8 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Professor E. Gadd (Unlock 12 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Baby Rosalina (Unlock 16 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Queen Bee (Unlock 20 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Nabbit (Unlock 24 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Pink Gold Peach (Unlock 28 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Lord Fredrik (Unlock all 32 Expert Ghost Data records in Time Trails)
Mii (Rank 3 Stars in 8 Grand Prix Cups)

Have a look and please tell me what you think about my updated Mario Kart 8 roster.

Sprag94 said:
Have a look and please tell me what you think about my updated Mario Kart 8 roster.
Needs some RPG characters. /expected

As for Mario Kart DS, it's arguably my favorite Mario Kart due to nostalgia. 64 poses some competition though.

Snawfulthemerry25 said:
Sprag94 said:
Needs some RPG characters. /expected

As for Mario Kart DS, it's arguably my favorite Mario Kart due to nostalgia. 64 poses some competition though.
If you think 64 can compete with DS, then you are officially unpredictable.

Lumastar said:
mario_kart_8__another_roster_by_fawfulthegreat64-d6zisi7.png

What is everyone's opinion on this fan-made roster?

Cut the babies (well at least baby peach and baby daisy) and I'm satisfied

and also is that smasher in the top right

I made that, in case anyone didn't know.

And that is Boshi from SMRPG.

Lumastar said:
If you think 64 can compete with DS, then you are officially unpredictable.
DS is objectively better, but I have almost equal nostalgia for both.

Mario Kart DS sucked mainly because snaking nuked it

i don't, it breaks my thumbs

if i want to break my thumbs, i'd play a mario party minigame <_<

Freakworld said:
Lumastar said:
mario_kart_8__another_roster_by_fawfulthegreat64-d6zisi7.png

What is everyone's opinion on this fan-made roster?

Cut the babies (well at least baby peach and baby daisy) and I'm satisfied

and also is that smasher in the top right
That's Boshi from Super Mario RPG.

Also the roster is definitely better than what we actually got. While I do like the Koopalings being playable for once they're just not different enough to warrant 7 whole slots, they should have treated them like the Yoshi colors where a second menu shows up (and it should also change their stats unlike Smash which makes them disproportionate to make them all play the same). And anything to get rid of any of the metal and baby characters is fine by me.

However, I think having Shy Guy, Lakitu and Miis replace Boshi, Eldstar and Antasma would have made this more realisitically possible, but hey, one can dream.

why does baby luigi have a reversed L, omg THEY CHANGED HIS DESIGN

Baby Luigi said:
why does baby luigi have a reversed L, omg THEY CHANGED HIS DESIGN
that was the result of his picture facing the wrong way, so I flipped it then tried to re-flip the L to look normal

heh i know i'm just jokin :babyluigi:

Solution: Make the Metal Cap a power-up that briefly makes you double the weight of a heavy. Not as powerful as a Star, but makes it easier to ram people off the stage. I don't think that's any more far-fetched than the Mega Mushroom.

I like the metal cap, but I'd dislike sacrificing an actual heavyweight I use and the fantastic "Mia Mama".

Back