Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Misty said:
231/3% of the racers are Koopalings.
That's why I was hoping for far more than 30 characters, to make it not so much of a Koopa Kart 8.

*sigh* Will we ever see a villain that's not Bowser or a Bowser minion in anything that's not an RPG these days?

I misinterpreted that as one that's not an RPG from "these days".
We have Donkey Kong in the Mario vs. DK games

True, but most people don't consider DK a villain anymore, since he has his own series in which he is a protagonist. Same with Wario, although he's still more of an anti-hero.

I'm just amazed that they traded the Seven Koopalings for Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo, Dry Bones, King Boo, Dry Bowser, and Wiggler (Funky Kong was probably not going to return anyways).

I would have much rather had just Baby Rosalina and PGP be the only newcomers and those characters in rather than what we got.

Dreamy Fawful said:
Super Smash Misty said:
231/3% of the racers are Koopalings.
That's why I was hoping for far more than 30 characters, to make it not so much of a Koopa Kart 8.

*sigh* Will we ever see a villain that's not Bowser or a Bowser minion in anything that's not an RPG these days?

Speaking of which, we got some unique characters this time around, did we not? I don't see any generic enemies racing. We got the Seven Koopalings, and two brand-new characters.

And a Villain that isn't Bowser/Bowser minion...well, the fact that 95% of Mario games have only that kind makes it obvious that the other 5% will most likely not happen in the future.

Ulrich said:
I'm just amazed that they traded the Seven Koopalings for Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Birdo, Dry Bones, King Boo, Dry Bowser, and Wiggler (Funky Kong was probably not going to return anyways).

I would have much rather had just Baby Rosalina and PGP be the only newcomers and those characters in rather than what we got.

Speaking of which, we got some unique characters this time around, did we not? I don't see any generic enemies racing. We got the Seven Koopalings, and two brand-new characters.

And a Villain that isn't Bowser/Bowser minion...well, the fact that 95% of Mario games have only that kind makes it obvious that the other 5% will most likely not happen in the future.
Much agree. For now the Kart 8 roster lacks the diversity that Kart Wii could give us. Those infamous addtions from Kart 7 don't really help this. Diddy doesn't have to return since he had been in previous two home Karts, but neither does Dixie nor King K Rool takes his place now. More clearly there is no subseries main character announced.

Dreamy Fawful said:
True, but most people don't consider DK a villain anymore, since he has his own series in which he is a protagonist. Same with Wario, although he's still more of an anti-hero.
Well in that saying Pauline should also be announced in this game :P. I usually regard DK as a "good competitor" (maybe Wario is too, if he ever has some sportsmanship). At the same time DK and Wario both have their own destinied opponents in their own games. Koopalings are welcome additions, but a bunch of villains coming from the same troop really kill the diversity.

I'm not surprised to see Rosalina's baby form (since the story book was already a reference). But I doubt the upcoming Yoshi games would feature Baby Daisy and her.

Ulrich said:
Bar Koopa Troopa, but I like him

Headless Specter said:
Ulrich said:
Bar Koopa Troopa, but I like him
And Lakitu. And Shy Guy.

But if they want to represent a species, why not a unique character of that species? Like Kooper, Lakilester, and General Guy? Especially Lakilester since Lakitu is already the announcer for MK.

Because Kooper, Lakilester and General Guy appear in only one game, from N64. While Shy Guy, Lakitu and Koopa are in almost every Mario game.

Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:
http://www.nintendolinked.com/journalist-complains-lack-diversity-mario-kart-8-roster/
well, considering that we have a series with all kinds of fantastical magical creatures, it's pretty odd that after 30 years there's a pretty noticeable lack of any people of color at all

maybe there was one in some game but i certainly can't recall them

I really really hate it when people see how important the roster is and they do everything they can to complain about it even though it's only 5% (if not, less) of the content in the game. Sure Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach are dumb but look at the good stuff, like the tracks, the new items, anti gravity and the bigger range of online options.

Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:
http://www.nintendolinked.com/journalist-complains-lack-diversity-mario-kart-8-roster/

The roster has

3 plumber guys
1 barrel of lard
5 babies
7 Koopalings
1 Giant Turtle
A hairy ape
2 Koopas
2 different colored metal guys
3 ladies
2 shroom heads
1 red robed mask shy person
1 ugly mutated green colored frog beast

How is that NOT diverse?

Baby Luigi said:
Dry Troopa said:
Look at this article:

The roster has

3 plumber guys
1 barrel of lard
5 babies
7 Koopalings
1 Giant Turtle
A hairy ape
2 Koopas
2 different colored metal guys
3 ladies
2 shroom heads
1 red robed mask shy person
1 ugly mutated green colored frog beast

How is that NOT diverse?
That's as diverse as it gets.

Pandapowah said:
What the heck is the Grip stat

I honestly have no ----ing clue

It's probably how well the vehicle will stick to the road. Higher grip equals better traction, though this does need to be studied more.

Back