Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

yeah i think unlocking characters is nice

but really it depends on how you do it and who you have to unlock.

character unlocking for this game should be like Skylanders and Disney Infinity

I swear if Nintendo ever does that......I don't know, but I'm going to do something I'm going to regret.

chillv said:
Heres an idea, make the characters unlockable by buying them instead of meeting requirements. That way, the player can unlock characters they actually want to unlock. In fact, they should do this with all unlockables. I remember crying because I couldn't unlock Bowser Jr. (he's my favorite character).

However, they should just not make characters unlockable period. Their just characters, I feel it is ridiculous to make someone meet certain requirements just so they can play as their favorite character. Isn't unlockable karts, tracks and parts enough? Give the player at least "something" from the get go. I am sick of this unlockables trend in gaming in replacement to fake replay value.

Sorry, but that's an awful idea. I think that +95% of the gaming world agrees that the most exciting thing to unlock in a videogame is a new character. It should stay this way. Actually, some characters should be really hard to unlock so you actually feel you're being rewarded after accomplishing something, like Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Melee or Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii (unless you have Super Mario Galaxy, that is).

Tauriel said:

I don't get it, I never played any of those games :c How do you unlock characters in those games?

you have to literally buy these special toys they release in real life to use them

Yeah, which is exactly why I think buying characters (whether through the toys or DLC or stuff like that) is very stupid when you can just have a certain mode to unlock them. I feel like it defeats the purpose of trying to beat all modes so you can get that last character, or wanting to show progress. Plus, it would be pointless to have both, as you could buy one, and then end up beating the mode in which you needed to unlock that character, and again, defeats the purpose. Not only that, but if it was just buying them instead, it would be just a waste of our money to buy each of them, even if they were in bundles. Definitely don't want to spend $3.99 to unlock all Small Characters or $9.99 to unlock all Characters. I already paid $60 on the game, and now you expect me to have the money? Which is exactly what EA does; make a game that will have options to buy characters right at the release or later.

Like one of the BLOF/LGM said (I don't remember because it's late and I'm too lazy to go back a page), I would rather it be for new karts or stuff, but again, I don't want any DLC if neccesasary.

well dlc characters is good depending on the actual game

like fighting games and rpgs like borderlands

but for stuff like mario spin-offs, its just massive lol.

Although ive seen worse dlc, like 30 bucks for recolors.

I prefer buying kart parts at a kart shop than random unlock BS

Anser said:
chillv said:
Heres an idea, make the characters unlockable by buying them instead of meeting requirements. That way, the player can unlock characters they actually want to unlock. In fact, they should do this with all unlockables. I remember crying because I couldn't unlock Bowser Jr. (he's my favorite character).

However, they should just not make characters unlockable period. Their just characters, I feel it is ridiculous to make someone meet certain requirements just so they can play as their favorite character. Isn't unlockable karts, tracks and parts enough? Give the player at least "something" from the get go. I am sick of this unlockables trend in gaming in replacement to fake replay value.

Sorry, but that's an awful idea. I think that +95% of the gaming world agrees that the most exciting thing to unlock in a videogame is a new character. It should stay this way. Actually, some characters should be really hard to unlock so you actually feel you're being rewarded after accomplishing something, like Mewtwo in Super Smash Bros. Melee or Rosalina in Mario Kart Wii (unless you have Super Mario Galaxy, that is).

Tauriel said:

I don't get it, I never played any of those games :c How do you unlock characters in those games?

C'mon, Mewtwo takes time to unlock, not effort.

You unlock characters by paying a hefty amount, often more than ten dollars. In Skylanders, you can't access certain areas if you don't have a certain character type, but buying isn't required to beat the game. It makes it easier, though. Skylanders has repetitive snore-fest gameplay anyway.

NO game needs this cash-sapping feature.

Anser said:
chillv said:

I disagree with you entirely.

I like it when the requirements to unlocking characters is spread out so that you don't get them one after another (e.g MK7, all of them unlocked in 150cc) but as you go along (e.g a character for every Special cup/Star Cup). If they are spread out then it actually feels like doing those earlier cc's is worth it and not a waste of time.

That was the one thing about the unlockable characters in MK7, It pretty much told me to skip to 150cc because 50cc & 100cc offer me nothing of worth.

EmeraldDiamond said:
is there even a complete mk8 roster yet?

There's literally no info for this game since the E3

Anser said:
BowserJunior said:
Baby Luigi said:
EmeraldDiamond said:
is there even a complete mk8 roster yet?

There's literally no info for this game since the E3

Wow, really? Guess I haven't missed much...

"Much" is not the right word. You haven't missed anything :P

Yeah. In fact, many games revealed at E3 haven't had any real new info lately.

Yes, do you know the literal definition of "literally" or is it broad misuse of the word tainted your interpretation of it?

The last Nintendo Direct brodcast was on November 13. It's been 6 months since the first trailer at E3. Maybe this month, they'll reveal new footage of new courses, retro courses, kart/bike parts and returning characters (Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Diddy Kong, Dry Bones, Birdo etc.)

They might reveal the said elements between December 12 and December 30.

I hope they do. Nintendo isn't good at maintaining hype.

Nintendo always releases one trailer on the game and then never brings that game up again until 1 month before the game is released.

Back