Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

infinite8 said:
It is also confirmed that there's VS mode. I translated this part of the video (go to 16:25: the screen after the character/kart select screen).
-Teams (on/off)
-Items [(frantic, basic, recommended, off) or (shells, bananas, mushrooms, bob-ombs, off)]
-Engine Class (50cc, 100cc, 150cc, Mirror)
-CPU (???)
-CPU level (easy, normal, hard)
-Course (choose, in order, random)
-No. of Races

Oh so you CAN do shells or bob-ombs only races? Hot dog man!

CPU (???) means CPU vehicles, which I think means bikes, karts, or ATVs only

Ok, my impressions of MK8's loading screen. It shows characters (maybe starting racers) riding on their vehicles and the word "MARIO KART" on the bottom with a white background. This is one unique Mario Kart loading screen rather than just a boring black or white (MK7) screen.

Is it long or short?

now that we've got the definitive Mario Kart 8 loading screen preview nothing can stop us.

btw, this would be my combination

BabyLuigi1-CSS2-MSS.png
+
BadwagonBodyMK8.png
+
MonsterTiresMK8.png
+
SailPlaneGliderMK8.png

I might interchange
SuperstarBodyMK8.png
and
SuperGliderMK8.png
though, and
MoterDozerBodyMK8.png
and
JetRiderBodyMK8.png
look promising as well

Looks like the Sponge tyres are back, I used those in MK7, might use them here.

infinite8 said:
From the video, I just noticed that two CPU racers were using a Bullet Bill simultaneously.

So....that means two lightning bolts are possible? :|

Here are some things that I've analyzed while looking at the vehicle part statistics...

Mario and Sonic Guy said:
I might as well try to figure the stat distribution out if I can. Keep in mind that the stat values that I'll be bringing up will be integers, with the stat maximum being 24.

I have to first start out with the third image, as the first two images use the Paraglider glider part for Toadette's vehicle combos.

Now, when compared to the Super Glider, the Paraglider lowers weight by 1 point to boost acceleration by 1 point. In fact, the following seems right...

Super Glider, Sail Plane, Waddlewing Glider, Wario Glider
*Acceleration: 0
*Weight: 0

Paraglider, Parachute, Flower Glider, Koopa dako, MKTV Parafoil, Cloud Balloons
*Acceleration: +1
*Weight: -1

It seems that all of Toadette's combos that have their stats visible for the first two images are using the Standard Tires and Paraglider, so I can at least estimate on the stat boosts and drops that the vehicle bodies seem to offer.

Toadette's Standard ATV + Standard Tires + Paraglider
*Speed: 11/24
*Acceleration: 11/24
*Weight: 12/24
*Handling: 15/24
*Off-Road: 19/24

Now, if I were to replace the Paraglider with the Super Glider, the Acceleration would drop to 10/24, while Weight would rise to 13/24.

As for the Bear Rider body, when compared to the Standard ATV, the stat differences are as follows...
*Speed: 0
*Acceleration: +2
*Weight: -2
*Handling: +2
*Off-Road: -2

The Wild Wiggler when compared to the Standard ATV...
*Acceleration: +3
*Weight: -3
*Handling: +4
*Off-Road: -4

Next up are the bikes, and I'll start with the Standard Bike body...

Toadette's Standard Bike + Standard Tires + Paraglider
*Acceleration: 14/24
*Weight: 9/24
*Handling: 19/24
*Off-Road: 15/24

Replace Paraglider with Super Glider, and Acceleration becomes 13/24, while Weight becomes 10/24.

Next up is comparing the Standard Bike to the other bike bodies...

Yoshi Bike
*Handling: +1
*Off-Road: -3

Jet Rider

Broad Bean
*Speed: -3
*Acceleration: +4
*Weight: -1
*Handling: 0
*Off-Road: +1

Now this seems odd. For some reason, the Broad Bean seems imbalanced, but because the images aren't the best quality, there may be some errors with my work.

Moter Dozer
*Off-Road: 0

Burning Bowl
*Off-Road: 0

Wait, so am I to understand that the Moter Dozer and Burning Bowl have the same stat boosts as the Standard Bike? That's rather unusual.

Maximum
*Acceleration: -1
*Weight: +1
*Handling: -2
*Off-Road: +2

Mach GP

Another Yoshi Bike copycat for the Mach GP.

I wish that I could go further by going through the kart bodies, but without any visible stats for the Standard Kart, I can't really compare the other kart bodies to it.

Edit: I almost forgot about the stats for the following...

Toadette's Bear Rider + Monster + Paraglider
*Acceleration: 11/24
*Weight: 12/24
*Handling: 14/24
*Off-Road: 20/24

Replace Paraglider with Super Glider, and Acceleration drops to 10/24, while Weight rises to 13/24.

When compared to the Standard Tires, the Monster's stat differences seem to be as follows...

Monster
*Acceleration: -2
*Weight: +2
*Handling: -3
*Off-Road: +3

As for the Slick wheels when compared to the Standard Tires...

Slick
*Speed: +2
*Weight: +1
*Off-Road: -4

So the Slick wheels have a stat imbalance, just like in Mario Kart 7.

Mario and Sonic Guy said:
Here are some extra vehicle part stat boosts that I've spotted while looking at the video...

Be aware that the following wheels are being compared with the Standard Tires' stat boosts.

Roller
*Speed: -2
*Acceleration: +4
*Weight: -2
*Off-Road: -1

Ring
*Speed: +1

Metal
*Speed: +1
*Acceleration: -2
*Weight: +2

Xahg9og.gif

I don't think sacrificing or sacrificing for the sake of speed is really a stat "imbalance". The Jetsetter from Mario Kart Wii has only two redeeming qualities in speed and weight; it's atrocious everywhere else. Speed is kinda of an important stat when it comes to racing.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think sacrificing or sacrificing for the sake of speed is really a stat "imbalance". The Jetsetter from Mario Kart Wii has only two redeeming qualities in speed and weight; it's atrocious everywhere else. Speed is kinda of an important stat when it comes to racing.

Not if it means making the vehicle so terrible to even use for about 90% of the tracks. In Mario Kart 7, you're often better off using the Monster wheels over the Slick wheels, since even though they're one point slower, the Monster wheels offer good off-road to make up for their bad handling.

I actually have no idea who i'm going to main. Probably one of the Koopalings or maybe Metal Mario. Then again, I thought I would use Metal Mario when MK7 came out and now I use Yoshi.

Oh yeah, i'll probably use the Wild Wiggler in some way.

3D Player 2004 said:
Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I never got into SC so I don't really remember those courses. The only thing I remember about SC is horrific loose controls to the point where it was almost unplayable to me.

I think the problem was they were trying to pull off a 3D-style game on a system that was too weak for that. I never played SMK but from what I've seen it was the same way. I don't think Mario Kart was ready for handhelds until the DS

But GBA retro courses are fine, so I do hope the more unique GBA courses make it in to MK8 so I can actually enjoy them. Same for the SNES ones

Mario Kart: Super Circut used up every SNES Track as Retro and therefore, all Retro Slots used on SNES Tracks are wasted Retro Slots.
Because as well all know nothing can ever be reused more then once lest the gods themselves strike us down for our insolence

I just realized that there's a Wiggler buggy. Doesn't that deconfirm him somehow? I know about Yoshi and Birdo with the Yoshi Turbo and Birdo Turbo, but...

Anser said:
I just realized that there's a Wiggler buggy. Doesn't that deconfirm him somehow? I know about Yoshi and Birdo with the Yoshi Turbo and Birdo Turbo, but...

There's a Yoshi bike in this game. You never know.

Here's what the Mario Kart 8 loading screen looks like.
mario_kart_8_loading_screen.jpg

It’s black and white-coloured with a right-to-left scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen that displays some of the characters (default racers) as well as the text “MARIOKART.

infinite8 said:
Here's what the Mario Kart 8 loading screen looks like.
mario_kart_8_loading_screen.jpg

It’s black and white-coloured with a right-to-left scrolling marquee at the bottom of the screen that displays some of the characters (default racers) as well as the text “MARIOKART.

Mario, Yoshi, Toad, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Wario, Koopa Troopa, Waluigi, Toadette, Peach, and Bowser. I'm probably guessing that the characters that were available on the E3 2013 demo ARE the starting characters, while all the other confirmed characters - the babies, Rosalina, the Koopalings, Metal Mario, Shy Guy, Lakitu - are the unlockables.

MnSG said:
Mario, Yoshi, Toad, Daisy, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Wario, Koopa Troopa, Waluigi, Toadette, Peach, and Bowser. I'm probably guessing that the characters that were available on the E3 2013 demo ARE the starting characters, while all the other confirmed characters - the babies, Rosalina, the Koopalings, Metal Mario, Shy Guy, Lakitu - are the unlockables.
So that means, the starting characters will be playable in the upcoming(rumoured) eShop demo.

Theoretically, that seems about right, seeing as no one else was shown on the loading screen.

Back