What is your religious belief?

What is your religious belief?

• Total voters
Hobbes said:
So this peculiar situation arose. My brother will have his confirmation later this month, and he asked me to be his godfather or whatever it is they need. If I accept, I'll have to attend and endless stream of lectures on stuff I no longer believe in, get confessed (the part I dislike the most about Catholicism) and Poochy-knows how much more I'll have to do. If I say no, I'll most likely have to explain my religious views to my family and dear Poochy, I'll never see the end of it if they know I'm not Catholic anymore.

Go me.
My (very religious) family has already found out of my atheist views. All of them looked at me like I just kicked a bunch of puppies when I announced it. I've manged to avoid mentioning that to the really religious section of my family for now, my cousin, who goes to a Catholic school, and I ended up having some enjoyable debates/discussions on certain aspects of the Bible, and they've pretty much forgotten or overlooked the fact that I'm an Atheist, so nothing much has changed between me and my family. If you explain to your family your religious views, they'll probably react very negatively, but it'll pass in a few days.

im a :bowser:-arian

:bowjr: died for your sins

Nondenominational Christianity. My mom has brought me to church a couple of times in the past few weeks, although it used to be my grandparents who brought me to theirs.

Hobbes said:
So this peculiar situation arose. My brother will have his confirmation later this month, and he asked me to be his godfather or whatever it is they need. If I accept, I'll have to attend and endless stream of lectures on stuff I no longer believe in, get confessed (the part I dislike the most about Catholicism) and Poochy-knows how much more I'll have to do. If I say no, I'll most likely have to explain my religious views to my family and dear Poochy, I'll never see the end of it if they know I'm not Catholic anymore.

Go me.

I'd advise explaining your religious views to your family whether you decide to go or not. They should be able to respect you for who and what you are as opposed for how they want you to be or think you to be.

I'm a Christian I guess, but I really don't believe in most of the stuff. I guess I can blame going to catholic schools. They drill it into you then you do so much work on it that you question what you're doing.

I guess i have atheist views or whatever, I just avoid religion discussion usually.

There is but one god, and his name is Poochy.

YoshiKong said:
There is but one god, and his name is Poochy.

poochydenominational

Hobbes said:

Go me.
I have to go through confirmation myself later this year.
I tried to tell my mom about my religious beliefs but she kept insisting I'm a Catholic like the rest of the family. I decided to just go through it for a couple more years since I disappointed her enough when I unintentionally came out as gay to her.

Stooben said:
I have a friend who is Wiccan. She once did a speech about the myths of being Wiccan to the class (eg. Don't ride broomstick but broom is a sign of fertility. Don't worship the devil as they don't believe in devil/hell). T'was interesting

Warning: The Oatmeal is not meant to be taken too seriously. However, I still kinda agree with him.
Care to explain why you don't?

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
Warning: The Oatmeal is not meant to be taken too seriously. However, I still kinda agree with him.
Care to explain why you don't?

mainly because he kinda overreacted there. He basically compared telling your children about the religion to forcing someone to like a certain colour. It's not that way, most religions aren't forceful, they allow you to chose your own path, they just offer open other options in case you want to try a different path. Not even Jehova's Witnesses, who come to your door every year with pamphlets are forcing anything, (I don't want to offend any Jehova's Witnesses here, sorry if I did) because they're technically just offering you a different path, it's your choice if you want to take it or not. Religion being forced down people's throats was way back during the Tudor times, and that actually made people shy away from the religion instead of join it out of fear.

And that's just the start of things that I find pissy with this comic, even if it isn't supposed to be taken seriously. Though me being against this comic could be partly the dispute between FJ and oatmeal. Anyway, I don't want to go on and on boring you with this comic, since there's so much wrong with it, but this comic literally says that Religion is only accepted if it is forced down people's throats, which it's not. I've seen hundreds of people who joined their religions because they chose to, not because they were forced to. In fact, I'm surprised that this comic is only targeting christianity, considering there are many other religions that "force" itself onto people.

By gum I've mumbled on a lot. Sorry if i made anyone feel uncomfortable here.

Radagast the Brown said:
In fact, I'm surprised that this comic is only targeting christianity, considering there are many other religions that "force" itself onto people.

It didn't, although it focusing primarily on Christianity may be due to the fact that Christianity is what dominates The US, and the comic seems to be mainly referencing how religion is approached in The US.

Still, there are parents who force dogma on their kids, and that's what he's talking about. He's not bashing religion. He's just saying, "If you do any of this, you suck at religion".

It's not just parents either.

Teens, other non-parent adults, attempt to push their views on others, and often times if they don't agree it can result in an attack, whether it be emotionally or physically.

Pandapowah said:
Hobbes said:

Go me.
I have to go through confirmation myself later this year.
I tried to tell my mom about my religious beliefs but she kept insisting I'm a Catholic like the rest of the family. I decided to just go through it for a couple more years since I disappointed her enough when I unintentionally came out as gay to her.
In my humble opinion, if I were you, I wouldn't go through confirmation. Why reaffirm a religion that speaks against homosexuality? That's just my POV, it's what a couple of friends of mine did.

I don't think Catholocism actually speaks out against homosexuality, its just people who take the bible too literal

but I could be dead wrong, this isn't something im proficient in

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
I don't think Catholocism actually speaks out against homosexuality, its just people who take the bible too literal

Considering the Pope denounced it a month ago, I wouldn't call Catholicism the most accepting religion

gay sex is ok as long as they don't use contraceptives

Groden said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:

Considering the Pope denounced it a month ago, I wouldn't call Catholicism the most accepting religion
That. And there are some references to it in the bible. I really don't know which of those apply to catholicism, but at least a couple do.

Something else I found:
www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c2a6.htm#2357

texans disagree

Back