What is your religious belief?

What is your religious belief?

• Total voters

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Note: I do want this do be a thread that remains serious, because the last time something like this was posted, it was very quickly derailed and sent to Mindless Junk. As such, I just want this to be us stating our religious beliefs, potentially a few questions back-and-forth, and hopefully no overwhelming arguments. If you want your silly religious thread, go make your own in Mindless Junk.

Like the note says, let's try and keep this civil. Myself, I identify as an Atheist, for both scientific and personal reasons, but at the same time, I do respect the right that other people have to place their religious beliefs in whatever they choose to believe in, even though I personally disagree with them.

I hope we are mature enough to keep this discussion civil.

Anyway, I was raised a Catholic, but as time went by, I found out I just didn't share their beliefs. Nevertheless, I do believe there is a god watching us, maybe even interceding in our lives. So I guess that makes me a Theist. I do believe in evolution and the Big Bang, but I think there are things beyond human comprehension, I do believe there is someone out there watching us.

I'm an atheist with a minor interest in LaVeyan Satanism.

I'm an Atheist, though that doesn't necessarily mean I bash people for believing in what they want. Just as long as I'm not feeling forced by someone whose belief doesn't match mine to believe in what said someone believes in, I'm not going to bite back or going on the defensive at all.

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
I'm atheist, and I believe that this group is unfairly discriminated against.

On that note, I've never understood why the belief or nonbelief in an afterlife determines who is allowed to hold political positions in certain U.S. states.

Christian. Praying, believing, and even reading the bible is one of the few things in the world that actually calm down my insanity and violence and one of the few things that ever brought me any sort of peace and relief.

Humans could never do that, I just feel... calm and stable when I think about God, his works, and his lessons. I'm glad I'm a christian and a pretty strong believer in God and his kingdom.

Although I am no radical, I do not wish to shove my beliefs in other peoples faces. Of course I'd much rather them believe in God and go to heaven, rather then not and go to Hell. But that is their decision, if they do not wish to believe in it, trust it, whatever else, then I'll just simply push the dust off my shoulders and feet and let it be. I do not judge others based on their belief in God, although I will gladly stand my ground if people insist to insult someting I believe in, which I think goes for about anything really.

So that's my view on my Christianity. Some people may think I'm some crazy bafoon believing in some guy up in the clouds, or using some book as my guide to life, but I could care less about how they see me as or if I seem to be some sort of idiot to them, that's not what I'm here for, I'm here for God.

Mario4Ever said:
Rocket J. Squirrel said:
I'm atheist, and I believe that this group is unfairly discriminated against.

On that note, I've never understood why the belief or nonbelief in an afterlife determines who is allowed to hold political positions in certain U.S. states.

It's just what this country was founded on. Fighting for freedom and one nation under God. So naturally that may hold some ground, but I can agree that alone shouldn't be enough to be on top.

Time Turner said:
I'd really like to know who the Christian/Islamic/Judaic/Atheist/Agnostic/Buddhist/Theist/Indigenous/Sikhist/Hinduist is.
Scratch that, I'd like to know who the several Christian/Islamic/Judaic/Atheist/Agnostic/Buddhist/Theist/Indigenous/Sikhist/Hinduist people are.

Seriously, I put the option to check all of the choices for simplicity's sake, not for you to screw with the genuine results.

A poll was taken about certain kinds of people becoming president. Most people said they wouldn't care if our president was female, catholic, Mormon, Muslim, black, Hispanic, Asian, or homosexual. However, it was a completely different story with "doesn't believe in god".

Zae said:
Of course I'd much rather them believe in God and go to heaven, rather then not and go to Hell.
As an honest question, where do people who have never heard of Christianity (i.e. indigenous people prior to European exploration), or everybody before Christianity was created, go if non-believers who know about Christianity go to Hell? Not trying to start any arguments, but I've never received an answer for this from any of my Christian friends.

Zae said:
It's just what this country was founded on. Fighting for freedom and one nation under God. So naturally that may hold some ground, but I can agree that alone shouldn't be enough to be on top.
"One nation under God" appeared long after the nation was founded. Secularism, however, was there from the start. It's just because Christians are more appealing to Christian voters, which the majority of the population is made up of.

Groden said:
Zae said:
Of course I'd much rather them believe in God and go to heaven, rather then not and go to Hell.
As an honest question, where do people who have never heard of Christianity (i.e. indigenous people prior to European exploration), or everybody before Christianity was created, go if non-believers who know about Christianity go to Hell? Not trying to start any arguments, but I've never received an answer for this from any of my Christian friends.

Zae said:
"One nation under God" appeared long after the nation was founded. Secularism, however, was there from the start. It's just because Christians are more appealing to Christian voters, which the majority of the population is made up of.

Kind of a weird question, I'm not sure if its your wording or what but I'm not sure how to react do it, maybe I'll ask someone who is more experinced than me with the subject later though so, I'll certainly let you know if I find anything. As I'm pretty new Christian and generally not all knowing of the subject.

oh and thanks for the info never knew it was before the USA was founded, I thought it was just something we declared/made up/etc. when it was put together.

I'm a Christian, born, raised and proud, but I'm not sure if I'm Babtist (sp?) or Lutheran (again, sp?). I could be both. Idk.

And a bit off topic, but just because I'm Christian, doesn't mean I think gay people should go to hell and that kind of stuff, people have their own beliefs and that's just that.

I should add that I don't know if I still believe in an afterlife, as I have been pressed to believe my whole life.

Guys, really, stop checking all of the boxes. I doubt you practice all ten of those religions, so can you please just change your vote to what you genuinely believe?

Back