What is your religious belief?

What is your religious belief?

• Total voters
Right, back on track. We can deport this discussion to another thread.

Well, I was going to say something about how science doesn't necessarily invalidate religion, but it seems we're not in a flame war anymore, so my opinion is not needed.

Purple Yoshi said:
Well, I was going to say something about how science doesn't necessarily invalidate religion, but it seems we're not in a flame war anymore, so my opinion is not needed.

So you were going to say something to perpetuate what you thought was a flame war, when no one was flaming anyone at all and no one was arguing. You are able to say what you wanted to say, but if your goal was only to say it to make people angry, you're best just not saying anything ever.

Sombrero Guy said:
4. Evolution isn't real, at least in what I believe. Are you upset, oatmeal thing?

i'd explain to you that evolution is pretty obviously real but i guess other people did it already

in the meantime try to be less condescending and self-righteous, mk?

At the same time:

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
That's not what I got from him. To me, he said:
Don't judge others based on religion
Don't force your beliefs on others
Don't use religion to hinder advancement of science and stuff
Don't make fun of other religions while believing in an equally legitimate religion.
And don't kill others for your religion.

How is this not condescending assholery:

Allow me to now parrot what my parents told me as a child, thus perpetuating 2,000 years worth of bizarre, backwards, ridiculous beliefs that no one in their right mind would believe unless an authority figure taught it to them when they were young.

Also, I'd like to point out the usage of false equivalency in the bit where he goes off on politics. Maybe he shouldn't have somebody ranting about gay rights and protecting the environment if he wants to make them look unreasonable.

Rocket J. Squirrel said:
Don't judge others based on religion
As Scarecrow pointed out, the comic was very clearly doing this, even if for the sake of a joke.

Don't force your beliefs on others
Again, the comic was most definitely doing this, just from the non-religious side of the coin.

Don't use religion to hinder advancement of science and stuff
Yeah uhh, the examples he used for that are bullshit, sorry to say. Galileo was branded a heretic for slandering the pope and the church, not for his scientific theories which were actually accepted by the Catholic Church as a genuine possibility; and adult stem cell treatment - which the Catholic Church is in support of - has proved far more fruitful than embryonic stem cell treatment.

Don't make fun of other religions while believing in an equally legitimate religion.
This argument doesn't exactly work too well when you're also making fun of someone's religion, because if the point is to discourage hypocrisy, then you're basically engaging in hypocrisy yourself by making fun of people for making fun of someone else.

And don't kill others for your religion.
This is a fine statement. Just commenting in the interest of fairness.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Galileo was branded a heretic for slandering the pope and the church, not for his scientific theories which were actually accepted by the Catholic Church as a genuine possibility; and adult stem cell treatment - which the Catholic Church is in support of - has proved far more fruitful than embryonic stem cell treatment.

To be fair, no matter the exact reason for it, the Catholic Church did treat Galileo pretty terribly for simply expressing his views. Of course, that was several hundred years ago, so it would be pretty silly to blame Catholics for that today.

You know the evolution "fact" hasn't actually been proven, it is just a widely accepted theory, like the big bang

Time Turner said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:
You know the evolution "fact" hasn't actually been proven, it is just a widely accepted theory, like the big bang
This is definitely not the best place to have this discussion.
I didn't want to bump that old evolution vs. creationism thread

Time Turner said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:

mods pls split dis thread 2 mondayless junk. :posh:

(just the evolution part starting from that quote)

Brock said:
Time Turner said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:

mods pls split dis thread 2 mondayless junk. :posh:

(just the evolution part starting from that quote)
I was responding to the image

Mikan Tsumiki said:

It's not so much the fact that evolution exists that is a widely accepted theory, but rather it is our understanding of how evolution takes place and all of the trivial details and jazz that are the theories. It's much like how gravity is a theory--we know it's there, we know it's working, but we don't fully understand how. There are widely accepted theories on how gravity exists, but of course there's no 100% proof.

In addition, before you pick at theories and things, you should learn the definition of these terms before you use them. Proof, theories, hypotheses--these all have meanings that you're showing that you don't actually know. The scientific illiteracy in this country is astounding.

Mikan Tsumiki said:
Ah, the old "Evolution is just a theory" argument.
Please tell me what you think theory means.

Poppy Bro Sr. said:
Mikan Tsumiki said:
Ah, the old "Evolution is just a theory" argument.
Please tell me what you think theory means.
Oh boy, not this again...

Anyway, Christian.

You know.. Atheism isn't a religion. It means you don't believe in a religion.

It's the opposite of theism.

Assuming all atheists have the same way of seeing things is like saying Catholics have the same beliefs as Muslims.

And I noticed on the first page someone got a little confused, they thought atheism means to believe in no afterlife. That is not true. Atheism means you don't believe in a god.

Just thought I'd clear that up

Fennekin said:
what is Agnosticism and Theism?
I think Agnostics not only doubt the existence of a god, but firmly deny it (correct me if I'm wrong, please)

As a pseudo-Theist, I do know what Theism is. Theists believe there is a god (or many gods), but do not follow a specific religion. Unlike deists, theists believe this god(s) sometimes may interact with the real world. Some theists believe a(many) god(s) created the universe (I don't, by the way).

Hobbes said:
Fennekin said:
what is Agnosticism and Theism?
I think Agnostics not only doubt the existence of a god, but firmly deny it (correct me if I'm wrong, please)

As a pseudo-Theist, I do know what Theism is. Theists believe there is a god (or many gods), but do not follow a specific religion. Unlike deists, theists believe this god(s) sometimes may interact with the real world. Some theists believe a(many) god(s) created the universe (I don't, by the way).
I see.

thanks for your knowledge tucayo.

Back