Updates on wiki policy / Current staff

Re: Wiki Policy Updates

Thank you so much on that. We really needed that.

I dunno, image captions are something way different

I don't think it's needed when, for instance, it simply restates the article's name in bold.

MarioWiki:Featured Articles has been updated to remove the arbitrary "must be 9000 bytes or it can't be featured" part of Rules 11. As Glowsquid has pointed out in another thread, the bytes don't distinguish between original content and coding for infoboxes, tables, etc. It still alludes to the fact that you shouldn't nominate stuff like Artifact or Spin Drill.

You're Thirteen said:
Glowsquid said:
The Featured Articles page's been updated to specify that the staff reserves the right to veto poor nominations.
Best decision we've made in a while ;d
Waited didn't y'all already have that power (I remember me and Glowsquid destroying a rather poor nomination of that goomba king from paper mario sticker star)

That nomination explicitely broke a featuring requirement rule (no improvement template). The disclaimer is more of a general arse-covering clause. It was added because of this.

We didn't have anything policy-wise. Now we do.

Glowsquid said:
It was added because of this.

It's not as bad as the unfeature Yoshi's Island DS nomination but yeah, so much facepalms were given that day

MarioWiki:Japanese has been created. It provides pointer and rules on how to romanize and format Japanese names.

MarioWiki:Coverage has been updated with a section describing our stance on when a Mario installment is bundled with something otherwise unrelated.

MarioWiki:Reception and Sales has been updated with an explanation of how to use our brand new spiffy review listing template. The Donkey Kong Country page provides an example of how reception sections shoud look like.

Cool, i'd like to implement that into Mario Kart titles as soon as I stop feeling so dang sleepy

I'm shotgunning it on Yoshi's Island DS

Re: Updates on wiki policy + List of current staff

MarioWiki:Vandalism has been rewritten with various additions and improvements. Here are the main changes:
  • The page has now been split into three sections: Identifying vandalism, Dealing with a vandal and Restoring pages which have been vandalized. Also comes with a bonus "See also" section.
  • A list which specifically states which actions are recognized as vandalism.
  • A succinct paragraph of whether a vandal should be blocked or warned first, with links to the respective policy pages.
  • Explains the admin tools 'rollback' and 'hide revisions' and how they relate to vandalism. Undoing revisions are also explained for regular users.
  • There is generally a greater focus on readability for regular users, and how they can appropriately assist the admins in dealing with a vandal.
This rewrite has allowed MarioWiki:Trolls to be merged with MarioWiki:Vandalism.

Also, a list of current wiki staff has been added to the opening post of this thread. For the first time ever, this will allow users to view a list of all members of staff and where to contact them (through their talk pages and forum profiles), all in the one place. We hope this makes things easier for you all.

Shouldnt we add "(deceased)" to Walkazo's entry?

Baby Luigi said:
Shouldnt we add "(deceased)" to Walkazo's entry?
I believe the single link to her talk page is sufficient, as there is a disclaimer of the situation there.

I still believe adding that helps with overall user convenience. New users won't right away be able to tell that she's dead, and considering how large her talk page is, add loading time until they find out that she's dead.

the notice is at the top of the talk page and any new user with half a brain should be able to tell whether it would be ok to post on walkazo's talk page when they go to edit it, and if they are part of the minority that somehow lacks basic reading comprehension then they'll be dealt with accordingly. imho what you're proposing is minor but still wouldnt be in good taste. if we were to include such a notice it should probably just be an * with a message at the bottom of the list saying not to post on walkazo's talk page or something.

I'm PMing YoshiKong about this in the moment (actually, him PMing me) so yeah, the convos should be taken to that.

More things happening! MarioWiki:Admin Noticeboard has now been created. If there is a vandal on the loose and no admins online to block them, leave a message under the sole header and we'll be notified by email. An admin should then come online soon to block the vandal.

As the page says, it is not a page for discussions. You should only and exclusively leave a link to the user's contributions. No additional messages are needed and they are, in fact, discouraged. After the user has been blocked, we will remove the report.

This is only for evident vandals who need to be immediately blocked. Violations of rules by regular users should be taken to an admin's talk page.

That sounds really useful! Glad that we've gotten a more efficient system.

Hobbes said:
More things happening! MarioWiki:Admin Noticeboard has now been created. If there is a vandal on the loose and no admins online to block them, leave a message under the sole header and we'll be notified by email. An admin should then come online soon to block the vandal.
The relevant policy page has now been updated. Additionally, the relevant question on the FAQ regarding vandalism and quickly contacting the admins has been rewritten.

Even more things happening! We are now enforcing American standardized spelling as the preferred spelling across the wiki's articles, as per the discussion beginning here. The Warning Policy and the Help:Editing page have been updated respectively. A new section has also been added to the Manual of Style.

MarioWiki:Categories has been updated with a new section called "Placement on articles", which is designed to be an easy-to-read, concise guide about what categories an article should be using.

The admins understand that categories can be a complicated thing to work with, so we hope this new section can easily clear up some of the confusions and doubts that many users may find themselves with. If there are any questions about the new section, or about our categorization system in general, please post a comment and we'll help you out. Or feel free to contact a member of the admin team directly using the links in the opening post.

Back