Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:
Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:
They are very strong yes, but if you and your opponent have them then it becomes balanced.

I want to use pokémon I like, not ones I am forced to use just to have a chance.

If you HAVE to stuff your team full of specific mons that are arbitrarily stronger than normal ones, that takes your identity out of your choice, not to mention it makes building a team very dull.

That's pretty much the same thing if legendaries are allowed or not. Not all pokémons are good. And there are enough legendaries to like at least one of them.

The thing is, IMHO just using one legendary makes your team unbalanced. You have that one crazy powerhouse mon that you rely on to do the bulk of the work, and the rest of your team is pretty much relegated to filler. I've been there when I still used Lugia (my fav legendary) years ago. Not to mention that just using ONE legendary is not going to be that much help if you're facing a team with SIX of them. So really, you have to use more than one.

Idk how many legendaries there are in total. Let's say there's 50, that's a reasonable amount. Finding one mon you like out of fifty may be likely, but to build a balanced and agreeable team of six out of such a shallow pool is... meh.

Another thing is that I view the team a trainer builds as a statement of sorts. This sounds really silly, but what mons you choose, the moves you give them, and the way you train them expresses your identity to a certain extent. This is pretty much the main reason why I play these games: To build a team that I think is awesome, suits my style, and I can identify with. Similarly I like to battle to see the teams other trainers come up with, because they carry THEIR stamps of identity on them. However when I end up staring down a team of six legendaries jumbled together, the only statement I get is pretty much "I am desperate, please make me win!".

I find that very disappointing.
Yes all of this. Similar sentiments towards anyone who selects Pokemon based on how they are ranked on Smogon.

not sure how thats bad

i mean smogon does provide some good strategies for various pokes.

although ive found my teams usually have pokes from various tiers.

I've looked at Smogon and other sites before to look up certain kinds of strategies, and that's totally fine. It's when the strategies on Smogon are used like a cookbook and teams are pretty much copy/pasted from there. If your team is based on what someone told you to pick, how someone told you to train, what moves someone told you to use, etc., you're not even playing the game at all. it was very disappointing in the last Pokemon tournament on here when I could easily predict which pokemon and strategies a lot of people used because they've been done before and can easily be looked up online on how to get those teams. Hell, one team I faced was literally identical to a Smogon article. I believe you're a better trainer if you can make a halfway decent team using pokemon that you really like, as opposed to being able to steamroll everyone else using pokemon you may only vaguely like (or like only because you can steam rool people with them).

Also, I feel weird that EV training and such, as well as shiny hunting, are absurdly easy in Pokemon X and Y compared to previous games. I guess it's ok because now these things are possible for more people but to me it just feels really unnecessary. It seems more like an OCD sorta thing where you gotta have the perfect natures, you gotta get all the shinies, etc.

personally im greatful ev training is easier.

It was so ungodly easier then previous games where ev training was literally the most annoying shit in the universe, well next to iv grinding.

Hell i even went so far to ev train every time i got a new poke thanks to super training.

Thank you x/y, thank you.

Zae said:
not sure how thats bad

i mean smogon does provide some good strategies for various pokes.

although ive found my teams usually have pokes from various tiers.

It's not "bad" in that sense. I mean, nobody can really claim there is a correct way to build teams or play the game. For example, I disagree with the sentiment that using legendaries in pvp carries no repercussions for enjoyability, but I'm not trying to forbid people from using them (I'm reserving my right to be pissed about it, though).

Like someone else said in another thread, using Smogon as some sort of guideline is ok. However, I think if you let their tier lists and official best builds influence you to such an extent that you're basically just copying the best teams and builds (like some do), you're missing such a big part of the game you might as well just send your cartridge to Smogon to have them play it for you.

Also, I feel weird that EV training and such, as well as shiny hunting, are absurdly easy in Pokemon X and Y compared to previous games. I guess it's ok because now these things are possible for more people but to me it just feels really unnecessary. It seems more like an OCD sorta thing where you gotta have the perfect natures, you gotta get all the shinies, etc.

Nooooooooooo don't complain about super training. I'm so glad they finally made that EV shit transparent and actually accessible (if still a bit repetitive and annoying).

I mean, I even bothered EV training my team this time, which I usually don't because I'm lazy.

yeah that'd be bad to use smogon to play the game for you.

Personally i just look up advice, and some other details that serebii won't show me.

Although i do have an utter fascination for the metagame. I just get really excited reading all the articles on what pokemon can do what, and the new mechanics and..and....

hopefully you get the point.

Infact i think thats why i enjoy pokemon so much because there are so many awesome ways to raise your team and how many ways you go at it.

WOOOOOOOOOO

Gabumon said:
Another thing is that I view the team a trainer builds as a statement of sorts. This sounds really silly, but what mons you choose, the moves you give them, and the way you train them expresses your identity to a certain extent.
And this is exactly why Edo's signup for my fic was the best one. Although Walkazo's was close.
Politoed said:
I believe you're a better trainer if you can make a halfway decent team using pokemon that you really like, as opposed to being able to steamroll everyone else using pokemon you may only vaguely like (or like only because you can steam rool people with them).
Eh... it depends on what you mean by "better trainer".

Do you mean "more caring about the Pokemon" or "better at battling", or what?

I just figure I should get into this discussion because afaik I'm the most "competitive" person here.

I think he means something along the lines of "more skillful". You don't need much talent to build something that holds up competitively out of confirmed super mons with excellent stats and perfect, exhaustingly tested combinations. If you build a working team out of your favorites though, especially when you know some of them are mediocre, that's something you have to have your wits together for.

Note, I'm referring to building the team. Using it in battle is another story.

Anyway, one of these days we should battle, Javelin. I'm most likely going to get completely slaughtered, but at least we'll have something to laugh about.

It's basically a Pokemon simulator website where you can build a team super quickly with EVs, items, natures, moves, etc. and then battle people over the Internet. Showdown is what Smogon users use to battle people and test their teams.

Oh.

Nah, if I'm gonna lose, I want to lose with the team I raised in-game. A true queen will do her best to guide her people with all their flaws and faults, and if necessary, will gracefully accept her death as one of them.

they should just weaken the legendaries so they aren't op

because i love rayquaza and want to actually be able to use it for something...

Shoutmon said:

You could argue that Mega Evolutions are a way to kinda balance the legendaries. I'm not sure how big the differences are in power between them, though.

Ema Skye said:
Shoutmon said:

You could argue that Mega Evolutions are a way to kinda balance the legendaries. I'm not sure how big the differences are in power between them, though.

well some made an impact, others didnt.

Zae said:
Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:
They are very strong yes, but if you and your opponent have them then it becomes balanced.

I want to use pokémon I like, not ones I am forced to use just to have a chance.

If you HAVE to stuff your team full of specific mons that are arbitrarily stronger than normal ones, that takes your identity out of your choice, not to mention it makes building a team very dull.

well you pick speciffic pokemon you like of course, but some pokes like beedrill, just drag the team down and isnt worth adding.

This is why i choose pokemon designs i like as well as the stats.

Hell i even used abomasnow in the past, who has average stats, but the worst defensive typing ever.
Hey I love beedrill

Corkscrew said:
Zae said:
Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:

well you pick speciffic pokemon you like of course, but some pokes like beedrill, just drag the team down and isnt worth adding.

Hell i even used abomasnow in the past, who has average stats, but the worst defensive typing ever.
Hey I love beedrill

i like his design, but hes pretty damn useless.

Which sucks.

Zae said:
Corkscrew said:
Zae said:
Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:

Hey I love beedrill

Which sucks.
NO YOU'RE PRETTY DAMN USELESS

one day i'm going to go to smogon and make a team out of only the lowest tier.

and its going to kick some serious ass. (or more likely, it will get completely wrecked, who knows!)

Corkscrew said:
Zae said:
Corkscrew said:
Zae said:
Gabumon said:
Cirdec said:

Hey I love beedrill

Which sucks.
NO YOU'RE PRETTY DAMN USELESS

amen.

Kimberly Hart said:

and its going to kick some serious ass. (or more likely, it will get completely wrecked, who knows!)
yeah you'll get wrecked if you try an NU team in OU

you'll get even more wrecked if you use an NU team in Ubers

Hawlucha said:
Kimberly Hart said:

yeah you'll get wrecked if you try an NU team in OU

you'll get even more wrecked if you use an NU team in Ubers

HELLO EXTREME KILLER ARCUES!!!!!!

Back